You are here

Staying home from school with headache

georgina29's picture

My SS is 8 and he misses more than his fair share of shcool. Lately he will complain he has a headache or feels nauseous . My DH will allow him to miss an entire day of school and when he does this and he will watch tv(loudly) or play video games all day. This is foregin to me as I do not remember missing school because of this as a child. I also suggested he go to the doctor and get his eyes checked and my husband yelled at me and said "Why dont you believe he's sick? Show some compassion!" Ive also experience my Stepson lying about other things as well which I have not addressed. Ive caught him lying about having a fever before and many others things which Im afraid to approach my husband about. When my SS is off sick he also will eat quite a bit as well and watches tv all day long and overly invovled in everyones conversations. What do you suggest is the approprtiate way to handle his heacaches and nausea that he complains of?

markwvualum's picture

If he complains of a headache give him a baby tylenol and send him on his way to school. If he is still complaining he needs to see a doctor (possibly an eye doctor as well). Missing school only makes matters worse for many reasons (encouraging this type of behavior, falling behind, thinking he doesnt have to go to school and follow rules like others do, etc) Also when he is off school sick legitimately no video games or tv. He stays on bed and you check on him. If he is bored he can read. He gets to eat all the soup, brooth, and fruit and veggies in the world.  No cookies, sugary snacks, meats, cheese, and limit hard foods such as starches and carbs, etc. Allowing him to stay off for this is silly and allowing him to watch tv and play video games all day is beyond ridiculous and is classic disney parenting.  Good luck with him when he is older if this continues. Sounds like your husband is creating a monster.

DaizyDuke's picture

Exactly all of this... proof is in the pudding.  My SS19 started not going to school randomly when he was 9.  He'd miss because he was sick, or BM was too tired (read lazy) to drive him there, or because he was tired or insert one of 20 stupid excuses here.  Each and every school year it got progressively worse, letters were coming home from the school threatening CPS due to numerous tardies and absences, then 7th grade was the first year that he failed and had to go to summer school. He failed because BM set him up for failure by letting him fall behind.  He failed EVERY consecutive year after that, and ended up being a drop out. 

I remember one time when he was maybe 13? BM called DH and said "Hey, SS stayed home from school today because he was tired, and I was wondering if you'd want to take him to lunch or something."  What the actual F????  Stupid DH actually DID!  When he told me later, I asked him what in the world he was doing?????  Why was he contributing to and rewarding deliquency???  I mean when did everyone's common sense fly out the window???? 

Aniki-Moderator's picture

Suggesting he get his eyes checked is not showing compassion?? Uh, no, DumbHusband, that would be telling SS to "Suck It Up And Go".

Who is watching SS when he plays sick? It should NOT be YOU. DH needs to stay home with SS when SS is "sick".

DaizyDuke's picture

Your DH is facilitating nonsense.  If the kid is too sick to go to school then he is too sick to play video games, watch TV and eat junk all day.  If he is too sick to go to school, then he should be resting quietly in his room, with no devices and no video games.  Your DH is being an enabling ass. I have an 8 year old and he HATES to miss school.  He has missed one day and only because he had strep. 

It sounds like your 8 year old does not like school and is avoiding whenenver he can.  Mark my words, if your DH does not nip this in the bud pronto, you will have a high school drop out on your hands in the future.  I see it every damn day.  It almost ALWAYS  starts in elementary school and just carries on and progessively gets worse.

moreau1991's picture

I had exactly the same situation !! i visited my doctor because i had such a bad headache which i had for years but it started to be stronger earlier so i had to go to my doctor for a check and he give a recipe for CBD cream or oil for every night use, i searched for it online and also read many reviews about it before ordering from https://www.cutanea.com/best-cbd-cream/ and all reviews is positive, so i use it every night and it does decreased my pain and barely feel it at night, i sleep better i really recommend you to try it .