You are here

DH is delusional

Too old for this's picture

I understand that he so desperately wants everything to be normal.  However, wishing does not make it true and just sets me up for disaster.

I have posted before about SD hatred and resulting conduct, including in my home.  I have also referred to DH being complicit.

Now she is coming to town from overseas with children and DH thinks it would be “lovely” if they stayed with us. I asked him to walk me through what that would look like.  Answer:  “fine they can’t stay with us” implying it is my fault.

In 15 years there has not been a single encounter that wasn’t horrible.  I do not want to go through that. I do not even want to visit them wherever they end up staying, nor do I   want to be here if he has them over.   DH says if I am not here when they come it will exacerbate the situation!  Really?  It can’t get worse.  He refuses to discuss how I am supposed to act/respond in the face of hostility.

I hate it when this horrible woman comes between us. 

Suemm44's picture

Don't do it. I made this mistake leaving so he could visit with the spawn. But, stay with you ? I'm cringing ! I would never in a million yrs let either one of his spawn live here. I allowed his elderly dad stay in the heat index we just had but that was short stay but he went through my stuff and took over.  We got him air conditioning and sent him back. But, please his heart I think he's deserving of comfort and care. But, steps..... Just imagine spawn adults taking over. I mean it's a shame we can't trust them, trust they'll grow up or change even.  Stand strong and stand your ground. It's your home too

sammigirl's picture

GOOD JOB!  I understand completely.  It's been 38 years of my DH ignoring it and finally 8 years ago, I decided to handle it without DH.  

DH did the same thing; he laid the blame on me.  I came back with "Don't go there!  It's not my problem, you raised this piece of work daughter, I had nothing to do with the development of her attitude, rudeness, and jealousy of every person in your life.  You handle it, but she's not welcome to visit, but only for a short few hours, in our home."    Again, stand your ground.  

You are going to be blamed for any incident anyway, just ignore their blame and keep it out of your house and away from you.  My SD57 has tried to destroy our marriage for 38 years, just mark your territory and stick to it.  Now is your opportunity to step forward and don't depend on your DH supporting your decisions, he probably won't, but he'll get over it in a few years.  We even separated because I set boundaries; I stuck to them and we are much better. 

Again, hang in there with your boundaries!

queensway's picture

"DH says if I am not here when they come it will exacerbate the sitiuation". Exacerbate for whom? Not you that is for d@mn  sure. At this point with SD who cares. Stick to your guns on this one. Do what works for you.

marblefawn's picture

I banned adult SD from our last house overseas and our current house just 1.5 hours from her. The distance is great until they want to visit, right?

Here's how I framed it very calmly for my husband: "You don't get to see SD very often and you should make the most of your visits. When I'm there, there's tension. There's always hurt feelings. SD really doesn't care for me, but she loves you so let's make your visits tension free. You know she would rather see you alone, so you see her alone in wherever you choose and I'll stay here. You'll have a better time without all that tension."

I don't assign blame, I don't say whose feelings are hurt, I'm just stating facts. I made it clear in my tone that this was how it was going to be and when he bulked, I reminded him that early on, SD demanded to see him alone and he always honored her wishes while I was left behind. I told him then that if he catered to her whim, his life would be split in two. All these years later, I am the one demanding that he see her alone, elsewhere, and now he had to honor my wishes. So that's how we do it now.

Don't leave your house for her visit. Insist they see each other anywhere but at your house. You cannot be displaced because SD can't play nice. It's a bad precedent to start. SD is still getting to see her dad, but there's a price to pay for her not playing nice. And your husband must pay a price for not setting SD straight in the beginning. You are not coming between them -- he can see her, but you can't be expected to make space for her when THEY have never made space for you. You don't have to say any of this -- this is what you tell yourself to stay firm.

Wait until the dust settles a little and then reason with him as I wrote above. There's little he can argue with, right? Sadly, you have to turn it around and show him there's something in it for SD because that's all these fathers care about. If your SD ever pulled that bit about only seeing him without you, that makes this reasoning all the harder for him to oppose.

Stand firm on this. It's fair and not a huge concession on their part after all these years. Trust me, when SD visits the next time and the next time, you'll be glad you set this boundary for this visit.

sandye21's picture

"Don't leave your house for her visit. Insist they see each other anywhere but at your house. You cannot be displaced because SD can't play nice. It's a bad precedent to start."

Just wondering what the scenario would be if the tables were turned.  Would DH expect SD to leave her home so you can stay there and visit with relatives in the area?

It's all about appearances to your DH, not a realistic picture of the situation.  Don't ask him how you are supposed to react or respond.  That gives him too much power.  Instead ask him how HE is planning to respond when SD gets rude with you as to ensure that the situation does not exacerbate.

One woman on this site posted that she drove around in her car for 2 hours in the cold so her DH could have a visit with SD.  Ridiculous!!!  You have the right to feel comfortable at all times in your own home.  Period.  Stand firm about this.

"SD is still getting to see her dad, but there's a price to pay for her not playing nice. And your husband must pay a price for not setting SD straight in the beginning."  No pity for self-inflicted wounds.

marblefawn's picture

I would even waste time asking (again, I'm sure) how your husband will respond when his daughter behaves badly toward you. We already know the answer: he won't.

To their fathers, these SDs never behave badly, these fathers never see it, so he will always have an excuse for not checking SD and defending SM: "Oh, I didn't hear SD say that" or "I don't think SD meant it that way." Nothing new here.

If your husband was ever going to defend you against SD's aggression, it would have already happened. You know how this will play out from history and you have every right to choose not to be part of that scene again. So why discuss it again? Start out the conversation in the present, not revisiting what husband didn't do in the past. The new conversation is that husband can see SD alone elsewhere and that will make it more pleasant for everyone, period.

What OP said about "setting me up for disaster" was exactly how I felt. Is there ever a time when one throws a bunny in the ring with a pit bull and the bunny comes out a winner? I could not win when SD aggressed and her father refused to acknowledge it and then wondered why I left every visit fuming or in tears. Not being in SD's presence is the quickest solution: no target, no shooting!

And anyway, who in the hell would CHOOSE to be around someone they don't get along with? In the end, I finally said this to my husband -- "What would have to be mentally wrong with me to choose to be around your daughter when it's always ugly and toxic? She hates it, I hate it. So?" I mean, that is sort of the bottom line, right?

Ahem. OK, so my point is, there is history of tension and "unpleasantness" that I'm sure has been discussed many, many times over 15 years of marriage. That is reason enough to avoid this SD without further discussion except to clearly and gently remind husband of that while standing firm that her house is a "SD-free zone!"

sandye21's picture

That is exactly how I dealt with SD's visits with DH.  I showed genuine concern that he will have a place to meet up with SD should she visit, but in a positive manner, let him know that it couldn't possibly work here.  What I was trying to convey was OP has to believe in her right to feel 'safe' and calm in her own home.  Her DH was being unreasonable because he wanted her to stay as to not exacerbate hostility and further 'exacerbating' a no-win, self-defeating situation for the OP. 

As you wrote, "--  there's a price to pay for her not playing nice. And your husband must pay a price for not setting SD straight in the beginning."  I think the OP was looking for support for standing firm  against her DH's attempt at trying to use the 'guilt' ploy.

I guess I came on a little strong after the suggestion of another poster to give the 'gift' of playing doormat.  The SD will be arriving from another country, probably not staying for just a few hours.  There are other more positive ways of accommodating SD.

sandye21's picture

"14. If he's late for dinner, or even if he stays out all night, don't complain. This is minor compared to what he's gone through that day."

"17. Don't question his actions or judgment. Remember, he is the master of the house and will always exercise his will. You have no right to question him."

Suemm44's picture

Yep sure did happen. And when I got home ,hell broke loose. I mean dh invited spawn over without asking my thoughts about it. Never again. I live at my house, I sleep here and it's my house with dh. And he knew by the time I got done he better start getting with me about what to do, who to invite over on his own . They don't get to come here and run it. In fact, sd came over with a new fiancé and he talked outside with them. He came in and said are you coming out ?  My response was I'm sure your daughter said nasty things about me to him and I'm not finding out. I'm staying right here washing dishes and I care less. He didn't like it and I don't care. I had so much anxiety in my chest her just being out in my back yard !!! 

still learning's picture

@marblefawn, Bookmarked for your and other great comments on this blog.  Great way to deal (or not deal) with tense adult skid visits.  

notasm3's picture

"DH says if I am not here when they come it will exacerbate the sitiuation".

This would be too easy for me.   I could "exacerbate the situation" 10x more than he could imagine if provoked in my home.

I think part of the reason my DH hasn't said a peep about SS33 and his GF coming back into our home is that he knows that it would not go well.  I'm not one to yell or curse - but I can use words like a fine scalpel.  It would not be pretty.

sammigirl's picture

"You reap what you sow", meaning you have to eventually face the consequences of your actions. 

Every time I think I'm being too harsh and cold, in regards to my disengagement; I remind myself of this.

I have even reminded my DH of the above quote.  Nor is my SD's attitude my problem, I didn't raise the b****tch.

disrestep's picture

Why should you have to leave your own home because hateful adult SD and kids are going there? It is your home-a place where you should feel the most comfortable. Do not let your DH's brood drive you out of there. Do not wait on them, be hospitable or given them the time of day due to the hateful way Skid is to you.

Your house, you call the shots. Tell your DH to meet them elsewhere and that they can stay elsewhere, otherwise he can find a place to stay too.

Let your SH know he needs to grow some and any toxic remark made toward you by his brood needs to be addressed by him.

good luck

CANYOUHELP's picture

Do not agree to his emotional ploy. YOU protect yourself and let HIM deal with the fall out of his sad parenting.  You stay at your home in peace the entire time he desires to visit with her.  She needs to learn to play nice if she wants to be in the game.

joan mary's picture

I asked him to walk me through what that would look like.  Answer:  “fine they can’t stay with us” implying it is my fault.

So I guess that we all know where SD got her manipulation skills.  DH is playing you just like SD is playing him.  

For me, I found that trying to reason with this kind of person is impossible.  They cast off blame and responsiblity like flowers pedals at a wedding and then wait and see if you will pick one up.  If you do then Eureka! it is all your problem.  My DH was much like this.  His mother was like this and his darling daughters are too.  

I chose to stop playing.  I don't pick up the guilt nor the responsibility.  When he says "fine they can't stay with us" I smile and say "I think that is a good decision".  Walk away.  Change the subject.   Let him bring it up next time.  When he does, look puzzled, "I thought the matter was settled - they are staying at a hotel".  If DH wants to have an adult conversation he has to start acting like one!

As for time with them during the visit - make it at some place other than your home and drive separate!!!  If it gets too much simply state that you are tired, need to lemon pledge your cupboards, have a headache, want to let them have time alone together, or anything else.  Get in your car and go home.  Go home without DH.  He can stay and visit.  

When DH has to deal with his snarky daughter by herself he might have a different opinion of her.

marblefawn's picture

I agree there is a much heavier-handed way to deal with this situation. But in OP's case, it sounds as if she's not used to standing up or getting dirty yet. For many of us, it takes time to get to a point of putting up a fence. It starts with drawing a line in the sand and progresses to eventually erecting a fence.

When I think of the years of crap I took from SD and my husband's inability to set her straight, I get mad. But then I remember that if I hadn't taken all that crap, I never would have gotten to this point of complete disengagement -- really knowing not seeing her, not hosting her is the fair and practical thing to do. I needed to know I did all I could to foster a good relationship. When that didn't work, I built a wall.

sandye21's picture

Now that I've not had to deal with SD in a while I have a tendency to suggest the OP stand firm and don't budge.  But as you pointed out, you have to state boundaries and stand firm, with kindness and respect, and in stages.  Like you wrote, I have to take a good part of the responsibility for not standing up for myself in the first place. 

When the OP questioned her DH about how his vision for SD's visit and how that looked like, that was a good start.  At that point she 'drew a line the sand'.  The problem is her DH got defensive and crossed the line.  This seems to be the hard part for a lot of us because we have no handy answer until three days later.  I like the proposed response another poster suggested, "That sounds like a good idea", walking away so DH can process it. 

In my case, it DID take a while for DH to digest and accept the 'new reality'.  There were a few bumps along the way.  DH's attitude seemed to change when I started to work on myself, believing my rights were as valuable as anyone else.  That included being respected in my own home - and I didn't have to say anything.  At this point, if DH wanted to bring SD back into my life, the initial contact would have to be someplace other than our home.

sammigirl's picture

I don't have to deal with my SD57 much at all now.  What worked for me, doesn't necessarily work for everyone.  

I was honest with DH and told him I didn't want SD57 in "our" home.  I also honestly told him I would be civil, so that he could visit with her, although I hoped she would not stay long.  I also informed DH that "one word or action of disrespect from either of them and "they" all are out, while I held the door for them".  I mean it!  DH knows I mean it!

I treat SD57 with no reaction at all, when she visits.  I do not visit with her, I do not hostess her, I do not offer her the time of day; I do not fix a meal for them, I do not even offer them a cold drink...absolutely nothing.  She stays less than an hour to visit, approximately 4 times a year.  That said, she still cannot help her snarky remarks, when she does visit.  I ignore them completely and laugh to myself, because I know our peaceful life, she hates.

SD tells DH "I don't feel comfortable visiting in your home".  Surprise...surprise.  For 30+ years my SD57 was extremely passive aggressive and rude to me and I tolerated it often, for DH's sake.  That is over forever.  What "SD feels" doesn't concern me; you see I don't care any longer what DH or his grown children think or say.  It used to infuriate me and the fight was on; not for the past 4 years.  I am over it all.  I woke up one day, had enough, and took a stand by setting boundaries for myself and disengaging from my SD and DH's games.  My marriage is better for it.

I set the rules, they follow them, or I see them out the door.  The same rule applies to my family or anyone that steps foot into our peaceful home with an attitude.  They are out!  

Take this opportunity to begin to set boundaries in your own home; include anyone that brings hate and discontent into your home.

Rags's picture

"I set the rules, they follow them, or I see them out the door.  The same rule applies to my family or anyone that steps foot into our peaceful home with an attitude.  They are out!"

Absolutely!!  Toxic should never be tolerated. Even from family.  Particularly from anyone in the blended family opposion including SKids if they choose to be the opposition.  They choose to be toxic, they choose the consequences.  We bring the pain.... and I for one have some fun when I bare their toxic asses.

sammigirl's picture

Oh yes, the fun.   I do enjoy watching SD57 have a melt down each time she visits her Dad.  My DH is disabled, therefore, his grown kids and grandkids come to our home to visit.  I have no problem with this arrangement, as long as the respect stays in tact.  

I stood my ground (previous posts) 5 years ago and did throw everyone out the door, including DH.  Since, I've let it go and stayed TOTALLY disengaged.  I have never had words with my SD57 and refuse to lower myself to confrontation.  

This is where the fun comes in:  She hates the disengagement and the silence that comes with it.  Total silence and no interaction drives her up the wall, because she is no longer in the "know", in regards to our life.

I will say it again; without this site I would not have my act together.  

Too old for this's picture

I am grateful for all the supportive comments leading me to say SD and her brood will not stay with us.  Now the issue is they want to come over to “use” our pool.  On one hand it feels churlish to say no. On the other, I know it will be horrible.  Should I say OK and just ignore them?  Should I say no?  How does disengagement work here?

Exjuliemccoy's picture

Hotels have pools, too.

This is just a tactic to stomp on boundaries, invade your territory, and urinate all over it. 

Explain to your DH that you are not comfortable having someone who doesnt wish you well in your home, and that hosting his daughter doesnt work for you.

fairyo's picture

Get the pool cleaned that day- or invite your friends over for a pool party so there's no room for them- failing that pour in lots of acid or something... just joking obviously,but creativity is a marvelous thing!

TexasPickles's picture

No. No pool. This is just another manipulation tactic aiming to invalidate your feelings and circumvent your boundaries. No means no.

MissTexas's picture

After reading so many of these posts, it seems we are all living the same life...I never know how widespread it really is.

Harry's picture

Always finds fault with us, unless we kiss there ass,  then that not nice enought. Screw him, let him take his kid someplace else