You are here

Film: "Gloria Bell" starring Julianne Moore...

marblefawn's picture

I found this movie by chance last night and really identified with it. I was wondering if anyone else had seen it because the straw that breaks a back is a common theme on this site: a divorced man who is at the beck and call of his ex and adult daughters.

Give it a watch. Perhaps it will inspire you to break the chains that bind. If it weren't for this virus, I think I would have packed my shit and left the same night I watched it.

Stay safe.

Exjuliemccoy's picture

Where did you see it? It surely must be better than the Unabomber docu series I just watched.

--figureditout--'s picture

If you want a creepy/good docu, watch the Henry Lee Lucas one on Netflix.  It's called The Confession Killer. I just finished it tonight and my mind is blown.

marblefawn's picture

I saw it on Kanopy, some movie service my husband's business subscribes to. I never heard of "Gloria Bell" before and only watched it because I like Julianne Moore.

It socked an unexpected punch that I'm still getting over a few days later.

Kes's picture

Thank you! I have just ordered this movie off Amazon.  It is the same director from Chile that I enjoyed a film of, last year I think it was called "A Fantastic Woman".  

marblefawn's picture

Great! I'll try "A Fantastic Woman," and let me know how you like "Gloria Bell." I hope it doesn't disappoint you!

ldvilen's picture

Part of the plot summary: "Gloria tells him [Arnold] to grow a pair and drives off."  Interesting that this is a remake of a Chilean film.  Sounds to me like they may have a better grasp of SP'ing reality than US. Yet, she does finally answer Arnold's continued phone calls.  For the rest, you'll have to watch to see if she really does nail him in the end!

marblefawn's picture

I understand the Julianne Moore version is a US remake (we Americans always think we do everything better!) But some reviews claim the Chilean original is more nuanced and thoughtful.

sandye21's picture

I'll be ordering this one!  Thanks!

marblefawn's picture

I'm glad you liked it! I really loved Gloria Bell -- she had her act together until she broke the rule and giving too many chances!

So 1Step, I was wondering and have no one to ask because my husband and I have not spoken now for 8 days...

Why do you think John Turturro's character was written to have had gastric bypass and lost a lot of weight recently? I had a few ideas, but was wondering what others thought. It was an interesting detail to put in there and I can't find the original film to see if it's also in that version.

Any thoughts much appreciated!

1StepForward2's picture

Interesting question. When he divulged it I really didnt give it much thought since its pretty common. I think everyone knows someone who has had bypass to lose a lot of weight.
Like most of us, he was looking to connect with someone and wanted to but was too caught up in the dysfunction with his daughters.

I thought her behavior was off too at her sons, celebrating with her ex and going down memory lane. 
I liked the movie a lot!

Kes's picture

We watched the film yesterday - I thought in common with "A Fantastic Woman" by the same filmmaker, it was emotionally raw and had a lot of integrity.  I agree Gloria's character did not behave well at the family evening, however, "Arnold" behaved like a true enmeshed twunt all the way through.  His adult cuckoos and his wife whom they lived with constantly phoning him and him at their beck and call.  Very good movie.  

Mostthanklessjobever's picture

I just sat here at work and watched it and loved it lol!  I loved, loved, loved the ending!  The paintball was perfect and I think we've all felt like doing that!

I felt bad for Arnold at the family dinner and the way he was treated and all I could think of was how screwed up blended families are even before they are blended.  All the baggage that goes with someone with a past ex and kids.  

marblefawn's picture

OK, well, not to intentionally up the depression ante, but really, when you think about it, humans are just doomed when they're born. We're supposedly the most intelligent animals, but there's a real trade off because we're so emotionally fragile. Other animals just kinda eat, crap, fight to mate, reproduce, breathe...die...all by instinct. They leave their young and their young don't fall apart and self destruct because of it. They just go on. We humans...geez, we've gotten a little precious. We can't even keep our distance for the sake of life and death during a pandemic without endlessly complaining!

As for Arnold, damn him! He is so like my husband. My husband is a people pleaser, but somehow, I'm not a people anymore. Wish I had done a Gloria Bell way back when I should have been reading the writing on the wall instead of wasting my youth by getting married (ha, ha, I was 41!)  I guess it's not too late to do a Gloria Bell. I just want to be sure I don't try to do a Gloria Bell and overshoot and end up doing a Betty Broderick! Hahahahaha!

Livingoutloud's picture

I saw it in the movie theater with three of my girlfriends. Only one is divorced so she could identify with divorce issue. But neither could identify with crazy stepfamily dynamics. They were like omg what's with those daughters. Oh little do they know...

2Tired4Drama's picture

I really enjoyed Gloria Bell.  Glad I saw it alone and without my SO!  haha

FWSM1964's picture

I like Julieanne Moore and enjoyed the film.  It's interesting that Gloria has integrated Arnold into her life yet he has not done the same with her.  I can relate to that.  When one sees Arnold's wife and daughters in the final scene, it crystallizes everything.

marblefawn's picture

...I could really relate to Gloria too!

My family loves my husband, but his family, ugh. I was always kept separate and it's never changed. And his loyalty to them is fine, but over zealous. He's squandering my love for them just the way Gloria's guy wasted his chance to be happy.

I've been dreaming of being independent a lot lately and now I'm remembering how happy Gloria was at the end of that movie...sigh...maybe it's just the lockdown talking...nah...I don't think so...

Sandybeaches's picture

I just watched the trailer and read the synopsis of the movie and on a first thought, I do think she was wrong at the son's party to be hanging out with her ex-husband and going through pictures and not including Arnold at all.. But I will save my full opinion until I have watched the whole movie as things out of context can seem different.  

Sandybeaches's picture

I just watched the trailer and read the synopsis of the movie and on a first thought, I do think she was wrong at the son's party to be hanging out with her ex-husband and going through pictures and not including Arnold at all.. But I will save my full opinion until I have watched the whole movie as things out of context can seem different.  

jam's picture

I personnally did not care for the movie. It just was not something I enjoyed.

Like "Sandybeahces" I thought she was wrong to be sitting next to her ex-husband at her sons birthday party and excluding Arnold but I also thought Arnold was spinless when it came to his first family. The one thing I did enjoy about the movie was Gloria Bells revenge.

Birchclimber's picture

I just watched it.  The dinner in Vegas scene where she dealt with his constantly ringing phone, was so temporarily satisfying.  The final revenge was necessary for closure and justified in light of what he had subjected her to.  A good ending to a story about someone who dodged a bullet...actually, 3 bullets!