You are here

We Are Back from Signing for the House. And Twit Got Taken

shes driving me crazy in my retirement's picture

by the "firm" she hired to do her windows.

DH had an urgent message to call her on our machine which he did. Evidently, the guy Twit ordered windows from hasn't shown up with them yet. They were suppose to be in 2 weeks ago. Oh boy. Back on Father's Day she wanted DH to do the windows and door for her. DH said no. She later cried about how no one would come and give her estimates and the ones that did wanted $8,000 to put in four average size bedroom windows. That to me seems quite high, but then Twit does exaggerate.

So she says she smartly shopped around and found someone who would do the job for $2,600. Guess, according to DH, he was to have the windows ordered and put in two weeks ago but she is having problems getting him to show up. I heard DH ask her how much she gave him in advance and the amount was half of the total contract. At this point, DH shook his head at me...most reputable first only ask for maybe 10% or nothing until the job is done. DH asked her where she got this guy from and, later told me it was from one of those home improvement sites....at least so she says. DH asked if she had a time limit in the contract, a date by which the work had to be completed satisfactorily...evidently Twit doesn't have that. He told her to contact that site and tell them she was having problems. Oh, Twit wailed, she has done that and no one returns her calls.....

DH told her he was sorry to hear that, but he couldn't help her. She ought to get her hubby to deal with it...he's back.

After he got off the phone he said he didn't like the sound of things. That it takes time for replacement windows to be ordered, and then, when they come in one sets up the installation date. He says Twit was saying tat the guy now claims he doesn't work in her area and he doesn't know how she reached him. THAT in itself sounds strange because if someone doesn't work in an area they will tell you right away, not take window measurements, etc. and collect $$ unless there is something wrong. Me? Twit is getting fleeced, this "contractor" has stake out money on the job and is now filling his hours with other work...he can always come back to this job. And who know, he might even go OOB before he gets to her.

Now, I don't know about the cost of putting in windows, but the $8,000 she said she was quoted by most window places for just 4 ranch house bedroom windows seems quite high. Twit always has problems with contractors, painters, etc.

DH says that not only did she give them a down payment of half, but she doesn't have a confirmed start date or finish date in the contract....it is open-ended. Good grief, how stupid can she be - don't answer that, we all know }:)

But DH and I did agree on one thing....NOT OUR PROBLEM!

Now to make the decision on what to bring with me to our new home. It is in the SW and I have to make the decision to either take my traditional furniture, which I love, or sell it and let DD take what she wants and get the type of furniture that fits in with the SW. THAT is going to be a tough decision. Oh decisions, happy decisions.

I can see the end in sight. Hopefully we will be down there to celebrate our Thanksgiving.

Going back out there to hire painters so all will be ready.

hereiam's picture

You got the house? That's great!

Eight thousand for 4 windows sounds high, so I do think she was exaggerating, however, $2,600 for 4 windows (good windows, anyway) sounds a little low. Did she not make sure the guy was legit and bonded? Oh, well, like you said, not your problem.

Back to your house, decorate how you want to. If you want to keep the furniture that you love, do so. If you want to start over with something different, that's fine, too, and can be really fun. It is a tough decision!

I am so glad you are getting way from Twit. How excited you must be!

notasm3's picture

About a year ago I put in 4 windows (one over-sized) and a sliding door (all with screens) for under $2500. These were high quality hurricane resistant windows on the 7th floor of a high rise.

I used Window World and they were terrific to deal with. It did take some time for the windows to be fabricated. They also had to match the rest of the building.

I would never give cash to a contractor like that until after the installation. I used my credit card with Window World. I would have had recourse if they had not delivered.

Congratulations on the house!

ETA: When I read the title "We Are Back from Signing for the House. And Twit Got Taken" I truly thought you were going to say that Twit found out, went crazy and had to be taken away to the looney bin. Smile

Twit said Window World wouldn't give her a quote. I know, sounds strange, but that's what she claimed.

notasm3's picture

She probably asked for a quote for them to sell her the windows without installation. I'm pretty sure they do not do that.

My sister used them in another state for her home and for a rental property. (not a high rise like I had). She was impressed (as was I) about how efficient they were and that they cleaned up after themselves totally.

I knew so many people who got taken to the cleaners after Katrina. They paid contractors for new windows (desperately needed) and the contractors disappeared with their money never to be heard from again.

That's what I figured Notasm3. That is why she was trying to get DH to put the windows in for her.

She wanted labor done FREE, FREE, FREE.

I was sooo glad to hear DH tell Twit that he wouldn't do it because he is too old for that kind of work. And when he got off the phone with her back then, he added to me that he wasn't going to do that, dog sit, chase after the drunkie, ( because she just needs, sigh, to get away); because it never was reciprocated (sp?) or appreciated.

DH drove by her place (without stopping) on the way back from my doc. appointment. No one has put any windows in yet. He thinks she may have been scammed.

She has called a few times and left messages, but I delete them unlistened to.

FWIW, IF DH would have done this for her, she would have saved a bundle and not even bothered to take him out for dinner or give him a few $$ for his effort. That is what a greedy creature she is. She EXPECTS.

Looking forward to it. Figured it would be far enough away and it would be something different for us. I would imagine getting use to the heat is going to take some time.

sandye21's picture

Really, SDM, what could either one of you do to help Twit with her dilemma? Nothing. Her husband needs to get involved in it. SO glad you are getting close to being out of Twitsville! Do you know about when you will be leaving? And does Twit know yet? I live in the SW and love it.

Hi Sandye - IMHO she was trying to make her father feel bad because he wouldn't do it for her for free. The implication is, look what happened to me but if you (DH) would have done it for me I wouldn't have this problem.

From something she said on Father's Day I get the strong impression that her hubby is reaching the end of the rope with her. I inquired then why she didn't wait until her hubby came back to handle this. Her response was that he doesn't want to deal with construction (putting windows in is not real construction like remodeling etc.) AND he could care less. Very telling. Something is very wrong there. She cried then about how he works long hours, goes into work early and works late and then goes into his man cave. Sounds like avoidance to me. But what the heck do I know.

Rags's picture

The Twit Saga is truly an entertaining tome that keeps on delivering isn't it?

Congratulations on the new house. Are you selling the one near Twit?

Yes, Rags, now that we have separated ourselves from the Twit it is entertaining to see just how desperate and stupid she is. The sad thing is that she has ruined her "babies". but, keep in mind she is PERFECT and she will gladly tell you that.

Gotta rest up a bit after the trip....not as young as we use to be or sometimes believe we are Smile

My thought is that she was trying to make DH feel bad and sorry for her for not putting those windows in for her for free. THAT is how she operates.

TwirlMS's picture

We paid in advance but only for the windows, not the labor to install them.

We bought our windows direct from the manufacturer, who's been in business for 30+ years. The framing company is installing them, they get paid after their work is done.

So, Twirl, you bought your windows yourself and then hired a carpenter to put them in?

TwirlMS's picture

Yes. We sent the window company our architectural drawings, they gave us a price, we paid it in full up front and it took them a few months to build them, custom sizes and all.

Right now, the framing company that we hired is installing them and their fee is cash upon completion.

Just want to say here that since we got back from signing for the house I feel sooo much lighter. Yep, I have a lot of work to do here, and decisions to make but I can take some time now that I know we are leaving the Twit in the dust.

notasm3's picture

Now it's for REAL!!! I hope you and your DH have many happy (and stress free) years together in your new home.

My DH and I have been in our home for a year now. We just love it. We were not getting away from anyone - but we were just tired of living in 900 sq. ft without a garage or storage.

Of course except for the garage and storage shed out back we still probably live in 900 sq. ft. of our home. The big living room and extra bedrooms are just used when we have company.

Powerfamily's picture

So glad you have now signed for your new house, do your know when you will be moving in.

As for your furniture I would take the pieces that you and your DH like/love, let your DD have what pieces she would like and then sell the rest.

As for Twit let her get on with the mess she has created and yes I mean the windows, and her children.