You are here

The definition of the "Relationship comes First"

thebrokenrecordmachine's picture

What does it mean when the relationship is supposed to come first?

Forgive me, but this may sound stupid but in what scenarios can a Step Child come before the Spouse?
I would agree that in an emergency situation such as an illness, hospitalization etc…the children come first.
But what if there is no immediate threat of danger to the children?
When does a spouse come before the children?

I just want some examples on what it means when a Spouse is supposed to come first-
I admit I am a little confused on what this entails.

As a sidenote- My BF's kids are potentially going to live with us, so I want to know what to expect.

justanothergurlNJ's picture

It's your wedding anniversary why would the skids need to be included to begin with. Agreed this is a direct violation of relationship comes first

justanothergurlNJ's picture

If I have to chose between feeding my kids or feeding my SO, my kids come first. Emergency situation yes the kids come first but other then that I believe the relationship comes first and not just in step situationa but every relationship dynamic. I tell my SO one day the kids will be grown and have their own lives and families and come to visit on holidays and Sundays so in the end it will be just us two,so it is important to keep our relationship strong, healthy and functional.

Mercury's picture

These are a few ways DH put me first:

DH and I make decisions as a couple and inform the kids about our decisions later. They get to talk about their feelings about our decisions, but they do not get to be involved in the decision making process. BM always insisted that the children came first (and that's why she is single now I guess). She consults them not just about small things like "what's for dinner?" but also about the big things like moving, housing, vacations, and even how they feel about her dating (they said they didn't want her too, lol) as if they are partners and not children.

DH previously had a shared parenting schedule that worked when he was single but became a huge hassle when he and I married. It wasn't really the kids' fault, but the few days on, few days off and shared responsibilities in school pick ups and drop offs was a bunch of BS and it meant BM was constantly in contact with him. Multiple times a day even. He went to EOWE so we could enjoy our lives together as a new couple with minimal interference from BM. Well, relatively speaking. She is still queen of TMI and can't go more than 4 days without some kind of contact, but better than before.

One time we were on a romantic weekend getaway and BM called him in hysterics. SS fell off of his skateboard and got a bruise. A bruise. She took him to the ER and expected DH to stop what we were doing, come back into town and sit with SS in the ER. No freaking way. He spoke with ss on the phone "I'm so sorry you are hurt, I love you, send me pics of the x-ray". But he did not drop our plans for a non-emergency (even though it seemed like the end of the world to BM).

Similar story with SD except that she was throwing one of her tantrums that only manifest themselves when she is with her mom. BM took her to the ER. For a tantrum. DH refused to even participate in that level of nonsense and ignored all calls from BM while we took a drive in the mountains.

farting_glitter's picture

ER visit for a tantrum???????.....wtf.... :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

Mercury's picture

Yeah, she's a real piece of work. She is trying to say DH is a negligent father because he didn't give them allergy meds this weekend. They don't have allergies in the fall, they had no symptoms, it was raining and cold out. She gives the meds everyday regardless of actual need. :/

Mercury's picture

I didn't. We both wanted it but for different reasons. It's complicated.

He agreed to a CS amount that was outside of our state's calculator. He screwed himself over. He had what boiled down to 50/50 custody but 0 financial benefits of 50/50. Our state calculates a BCSO based on an income shares model. Instead of using that fair model, he was paying 100% of the BCSO as if she had them 100% of the time but in reality he had 50% of the responsibilities, both financial and physical.

His original plan was to go back to court and re-calculate using the income shares model but he's a broken man and seems to have ptsd when it comes to court matters with that beast. He gave up time instead because all she really wanted was the money anyway.

I would have done it different but they aren't my kids and it actually worked out pretty good for me.

Mercury's picture

lol. lot's of things were "fine" when he was single.

BM:
"I think I heard a noise outside, will you do a drive by and check it out? It's FOR THE KIDS."
"I can't afford xyz, give me more $. It's FOR THE KIDS"
"Will you blah, blah, blah? It's FOR THE KIDS"

It goes on and on. Life changes. He changed. He got better (thank goodness).

Then he met me. I questioned his parenting plan and he finally said, yeah, what was I thinking? That stinks.

It came down to same amount of parenting time and pay less CS or reduce parenting time and pay the same amount of CS. He chose the latter and yes, I was part of the reason for that but certainly not the only reason.

Anon2009's picture

I have to agree with HRNYC on this issue.

The kids would still benefit from having their dad active in their lives. Maybe not on the schedule that was going on while DH was single, but on a week on/week off basis. If BM gets a BF or gets remarried, she may well ask you to take the kids more/have more custody of them so she can get "couple time" with her man.

He shouldn't have asked his child to text him a pic of the x-ray. Kids should be left out of that stuff. The doctors and hospitals have phone numbers, fax machines and emails for a reason. He could reach the doctor through those means and ask them to send him a pic of the x-ray. The kid was probably screwed up enough over having to go to the ER for something he didn't need to be there for.

Mercury's picture

Ok, and now you have precisely hit the nail on the head regarding the OP.

I know that in this case, the children would benefit from more time with their father. But if he ever chooses to take 50/50 custody again WITHOUT reducing his CS obligation, then that is a prime example of him putting the children above me. He will have to find someone else to sit back while BM takes advantage of him because I won't be there to watch it happen.

I'm not going to lie, I love not having them around. But I love him so I also wouldn't stand in his way if he wanted more time with them. I would simply insist that he take BM to court, re-calculate, and look out for our best interests.

Cocoa's picture

I think it's wonderful that you and your dh discussed what was best for your marriage. that doesn't mean that you are a terrible person because you and your dh AGREED. it's when spouses aren't on the same page when the problems arise. there may come a time that this situation doesn't work anymore or circumstances require a change. and i'm sure the two of you will agree and decide what to do together.

Willow2010's picture

I think it is very situational...

Ladys example is right on the money. But let me take it the other direction.

Same scenario, but skid/kid, skid has been rehearsing for a play, for months, where he is the lead role. He is VERY excited. Yet they school just now schedule this play for the anniversary weekend. WWYD?

Willow2010's picture

I totally agree! 99% of intact families would put off the anniversary for the kids play. I would.

Anon2009's picture

I think it's entirely situational. About the play, go out to a nice restaurant afterwards if the play won't be out for more than one day/evening. If the play is out for two or three nights go to one of the other performances.

If the child is in the ER/hospital for something, you as a parent need to be there. If your child is in the hospital with an illness, you need to be there. Regardless of what your issues with the other parent are, regardless of what the SPs issues are (we've had some posters here with very ill SKs who objected to their DHs going to the hospital as it meant they'd be near BM -this was years ago)and regardless of what else is going on. Unless, of course, there's a legal reason why you can't be near the other parent and vice versa.

SMof2Girls's picture

Do bio parents in intact families argue over who comes first .. the kids or the spouse?

DH and I don't have any bio kids .. but we've also never dealt with "hierarchy issues" or who is supposed to come first. I suppose I'm lucky in that regard and before coming to this site, I never realized this was such a common issue.

QueenBeau's picture

My parents had this issue. My dad spoiled my sister & I & my mom resented him for it. She told him (she never talked to us about it, but my dad would often tell us about the convos - totally inappropriate) that he talked to me and my sister about everything & treated us like we knew everything. She thought he put us first and didn't stand behind her.

After we both moved out, they had a lot of issues and almost ended up divorced. Luckily they worked it out.

SMof2Girls's picture

That's really interesting. I have 4 siblings .. my brother is 5 years older than me, and I have two sisters older than him; one sister a year younger than me.

I've heard stories about how my dad was much stricter on my brother than any of us girls. I also vividly remember how my little sister was definitely adored and doted upon by my dad .. she was daddy's last little girl.

But I NEVER sensed tension between my parents .. it was always more sibling-rivalry related. Maybe there were too many kids lol? They were both dead by the time I turned 16, so I don't have an adult relationship with them to get that different perspective.

QueenBeau's picture

I never noticed until I was an adult.

My mom is very spoiled & she expected my dad to always spoil her and not us. She almost divorced him when he bought me my first car - when in reality he just put his name on it & made me make the payments. It's such a complicated dynamic, it's hard to explain right here. But I've definitely felt it.

I also have an aunt who is jealous of her own daughters. It's blatantly obvious. They are both adults now, one is married and the other is not but has a daughter. My uncle still sends them both money all the time & my aunt hates it.

Thank you everyone!
Were hoping to have the kids live with us just trying to figure out how to change SO custody arrangement, right now BM has sole custody!
If that change does happen, I was just wondering what to expect when the kids move in with you...Does your spouse totally forget about you?
-Does your initmacy disappear altogether etc.
-My kid VS His.

Mercury's picture

Sometimes single occurrences can become habits if you aren't careful. If something rubs you the wrong way, address it immediately! That's the best way I can put it.

In addition to discouraging bad habits, you can encourage good ones as well.

Example: DH and I always have...ahem...intimate time as soon as we get home from work. That didn't change just because skids were around. Everyone (skids included) gets some unwinding time, alone time, in their rooms before dinner. We didn't have to change our habits just because they were there. Wink

Cocoa's picture

I think it falls into place when the bio parent takes the needs and concerns of the step parent into consideration and avoids unilateral decisions. open communication is essential.

I am sorry to hear about you and your EX FDH....but it probably was for the best...but who knows maybe you kicking him out may make him realize that your no longer a doormat and he'll come crawling back...I am sorry, but I did find a bit of humour in your story when he said that "you wanted the car for yourself because you wanted the money"....the only reason why I laughed just a bit, is because it sounds absolutely ridiculous and like most of these stories, our spouses are typically "way off the mark". I can totally see that happening to me in the future, but I tell SO about some of the stories i read(so he gets what I am saying). He particularily doesnt like this site, but I need this as I cant afford counseling right now(rent is too high)....this is my therapy!

I am sorry to hear about you and your EX FDH....but it probably was for the best...but who knows maybe you kicking him out may make him realize that your no longer a doormat and he'll come crawling back...I am sorry, but I did find a bit of humour in your story when he said that "you wanted the car for yourself because you wanted the money"....the only reason why I laughed just a bit, is because it sounds absolutely ridiculous and like most of these stories, our spouses are typically "way off the mark". I can totally see that happening to me in the future, but I tell SO about some of the stories i read(so he gets what I am saying). He particularily doesnt like this site, but I need this as I cant afford counseling right now(rent is too high)....this is my therapy!

IslandGal's picture

#1 Priority - your partner/wife/girlfriend.
#1 Responsibility - your children

Partners must consult eachother regarding major decisions pertaining to their own household dynamics. Kids are not to be consulted about these decisions. Kids responsibilities include shelter, food, clothing, education and medicals. Their needs are taken care of. There is a big difference in taking care of needs and wants. This is where the areas are grey in step families. Disney Dad's confuse kids wants with needs, because they want to fulfil every desire of their kids. They fail to realise that giving their kids everything they WANT, is effectively spoiling them and emotionally damaging them for adulthood.

Partners priorities are to eachother. They make all decisions and take care of eachothers wants and needs. They consider eachother and put eachother first. They are the two pillars that will hold up everything. If one of the pillars is weak, the entire thing crumbles.

Kids grow up - move out, have families or travel the world - they aren't living with us forever.

xandom's picture

gotta say, I think my fave thing about the fact my SO and I are step parents is that we don't have a 'childless history' at all. And we got to decide whether we wanted both kids on the same weekend or to switch it (all changed now but meh). As for prioritising... we both suck at it and are still working on it. For us it depends on what it means to them vs what it means to us so a lot of the time kids win out.

onthefence2's picture

My bf is the epitome of putting his son first. We want to marry, but I don't even want to live with them. They have lived together as buds and bachelors for 11 years and he gave his son partner status which might never be undone. I've got two kids also, and it just wouldn't work. I will give an example of something that's not right. He makes plans with me, then changes them because instead of it being us and our 3 kids, his son wants to bring friends, and now there isn't room in either of our cars and we would have to drive two cars over an hour away. So we change plans to accommodate the son and friends. I mean, why can't you just tell your son no, he can do something with his friends another time? At this point, I don't initiate doing anything when he has his son (50/50) so I don't see him much.

Rags's picture

Step Parent's Bill of Rights (BOR)

To me and as a man this is a very easy thing to define and live. The marriage comes first. Period, dot. I will be involved in every decision in my home or at least consulted prior to the decision and that includes discipline of any children in my home regardless of biology.

A child's happiness will never take precedence over the health of the adult relationship that is the core of the home and family.

The wellbeing of children will be provided for but they will never be a priority above the marriage. Obviously a priority of the marriage is to raise children to viable adulthood but the priority of the marital partners is the marriage.

The StepParent Bill Of Rights raises it's head periodically on STalk and this is a good thread for it to be applied.

Step-parent Bill of Rights

1-I will be part of the decision-making process in my marriage and family at all times.

2-People outside the immediate family - including ex-wives or husbands, in-laws and adult children - cannot make plans that affect my life without my consent.

3-I will not be responsible for the welfare of children for whom I can set no limits.

4-I must be consulted about which children will live with us, when they can visit and how long they will stay.

5-I will not be solely responsible for housework; chores will be distributed fairly.

6-I will be consulted regarding all family financial matters.

7-Others may not violate my private space at home, nor take or use my possessions without my permission.

8-I will never be treated as an "outsider" in my own home.

9-My husband or wife and stepchildren must treat me with respect.

10-Our marriage is our first priority, and we will address all issues together.