You are here

DH's negative family Xmas

Disillusioned's picture

So DH and I go to FIL's for Christmas brunch yesterday

When we arrive FIL meets us ta the door, he is cheerful, and excited to show me the gift he bought for SGS which he has in the spare room.

The entire time FIL is saying hello to us, showing me the gift for SGS etc.. etc... DH's sister doesn't so much as say hello (big surprise there) she even walked (stomped) by the spare room that FIL was busy showing me SGS's gift in and although she passed us during this time still didn't so much as say hello

I decided to be the bigger person and very cheerfully walked up to her and said hello, wished her Merry Christmas and went to give her a hug, which she said she didn't want to do because she was sick

When I met up with DH in the living room he was fuming. I was confused and asked him what was wrong. DH conveys his disgust to me with his sister's rude treatment towards him.

DH was fuming that she didn't so much as say hello to him let alone wish him a "Merry Christmas"

FIL went off to help YSD in with her gifts and things, and DH his sister and I pretty much remained in total silence. DH's sister was in the kitchen but close enough to where we were sitting and said not one word the entire time :? :?

DH quietly asked me if she said hello to me, I told him I took the initiative and greeted her instead. H was far to angry to do the same himself. Said he will be speaking with FIL about the lousy behavior from her...but apparently FIL hadn't been that friendly to him either

So funny in all the years I've put up with this crap DH hasn't been overly understanding to my anger about it. But funny how it's all different when he is treated that way

DH was already uptight because his sister had spent Christmas Eve with BM (and dragged FIL along with her) excluding DH and I, when DH's family has always gotten together on this day

DH says to me that he 'bets it wasn't this lousy treatment and attitude at BM's the day before'. I would have to agree with him that yes, his sister was most likely not a rude bitch to BM the way she had been when we walked through the the door

Nor would she have walked around all night with that scowl on her face and negative attitude like she does with us. You can just cut the tension in the air it is so thick

The atmosphere on Christmas morning was just nasty, negative, and anything but a cheerful family Christmas gathering - as it usually is unfortunately at DH's family Christmas get togethers

I was so glad to leave mid-afternoon to go to my family's. SUCH a difference in atmosphere. We called on our way because of course we are late leaving DH's family's and my family puts us on speaker with everyone wishing us Merry Christmas!!! totally excited to see us. We arrive and it's all hugs and kisses and the wine and appetizers waiting. Lots of good discussion, fun opening gifts, fantastic Xmas dinner with everyone hanging out afterwards in the basement bar just talking, laughing, listening to great music, playing pool, whatever they felt like but everyone having so much fun no one wanted to leave, including DH Dirol

Orange County Ca's picture

So next year things are switched. First at your family whereupon you will be leaving so late and too tipsy to drive you just can't make it to FIL's.

Maybe without you they'll have a happier time of it.

Disillusioned's picture

That's too funny Orange County Ca...I like it Smile

But no, they will have just as lousy a time without us I'm afraid.

Apparently things didn't go so well at BM's (that's a whole other post) and even DH's sister and eldest daughter did not appear to be having just a grand old time at Xmas brunch....and I suspect H's sister is actually jealous of the attention paid to YSD so even left totally to their own devices without DH and I there, it would still be negative, petty and boring LOL

But, at least DH and I wouldn't be forced to tolerate it!

jumanji's picture

Wait - your husband was REALLY going to whine to his Daddy about his sister? How old are these people?