You are here

O/T Anyone tried Serotonin Replacement therapy?

jojo68's picture

I have not been myself for a couple of years. Depression, weight gain, IBS, dry skin patches and horrible insomnia. After going to a few Dr.s no one really helped much. One said I had a thyroid deficiency..another said it was early menopause. I have an appointment with a Dr to discuss serotonin therapy. After reading the symptoms of serotonin deficiency, I could be their poster child LOL. Anyone ever heard of or had success with this?

Indigo's picture

Hi. I have had a hypothyroid issue for at least a decade. (Very common). My general Dr ran bloodwork and initially told me I was within "normal" range. Went to an endocrinologist and she laughed at my dr and started me on Synthroid a synthetic thyroid compound. Huge improvement. At that time I was perimenopausal --- started that in my later 30's.

I take Vit D and a couple other supplements, as well.

I also have begun bioidentical hormone replacement therapy after meeting a "homeopathic, integrated medicine" style of doctor. I prefer the non-medicated route, but the insomnia, hot flashes/night sweats, were kicking my butt. I am now officially in menopause and 51 yrs.

I know nothing of the serotonin therapy that you are speaking of, but I'll share my experiences over the last decade with IBS, weight gain, depression, insomnia, foggy thinking, etc.

There is hope out there it just takes a bit of detective work and NOT relying solely on the medical community ... Dirol

jojo68's picture

Thanks...I'll keep you updated! Unfortunately insurance doesn't cover it so I want to be sure before I try it.

jojo68's picture

I actually do take B6 and B12 and they do help but I think I am beyond OTC help. I don't manage my stress at all and it has finally taken its toll.

JustAgirl42's picture

I have hypothyroidism. I had all of your symptoms for over a year before an endocrinologist finally diagnosed me and got me on the right medications. A regular physician will not always find a thyroid problem.

I have also had problems with depression and have had good results with zoloft (a serotonin replacement drug).

I agree with others that you should see an endocrinologist for a more thorough and sensitive blood work-up.