You are here

Poll: Have you been accidentally called this

StepKat's picture

Have you been accidentally called mom/dad by others while out with your SO and skids? Prime example is when a waiter or waitress says after the kids have ordered "So, what will mom and dad have?" Its always awkward.

StepKat's picture

I am lucky that I don't have those types of skips. When I first got married to DH and it would happen I felt really out of place. I've gotten better at brushing it off but it's still awkward feeling to me. I not a mom let alone their mom.

Kristin1979's picture

It's not awkward at all for me... I have always told the kids (all 3 ) that they can call me whatever they are comfortable with (as long as it isn't a nasty nick name or derogatory curse word LOL which they never would) but the whole "Mom" thing has happened and quite frankly... I AM their Mom, just not their BM. I work very hard to raise them and care for them as if they came from my body, they are also MINE and I wouldn't have it any other way. None of us are bothered by it... The only one bothered by it is their BMother :/ It's threatening for her... She needs to grow up about it already... If it (I) make(s) THEM happy then that is ALL that matters...

step off already's picture

I always like it when I go to the school and SS13's friends say, "SS... your mom is here".

Makes me laugh.

Tuff Noogies's picture

me too!
the only time they ever feel the need to clarify is when someone directly asks skids "is that your mom?"

SteelRose's picture

haha tog, that's exactly how bs15 would respond!! lol Ss16 would duck his head and not say anything to me for the rest of the meal.

derb84123's picture

kids live with me, see bm eowe, so yes it happens weekly. Usually they dont say anything, but when their bm being super shitty- talking horrible about us/ telling them about court and such they will occasionally correct people. Usually they dont say anything tho. It sucks overall... I dont want people to think I had a kid at 17! (no offense to anyone who did but I am proud of making it until im nearly 30 and accomplished to get pregnant.)

saffron1's picture

My step kids have accidentally called me mom themselves, numerous times, one of them the other day actually went 'Mom- I mean.. nan- I mean mo-, Saff' and the little one does it all the time. I find it cute when they do this and wouldn't instantly correct them but I also would never tell me to call them mom. Its nice that they see me as a maternal role model because after all I care for them a lot. Similarly to you, a few weeks back we were out; SO, I and the kids and SO took them off, to look around different shops, for a while. The girls kissed me and said bye and a drunk guy said 'you shouldn't leave them' bit creepy but funny how he assumed they were mine!

QueenBeau's picture

It happens to us all the time. SD & I both have very big, very curly hair & are about the same skin tone. If anything, people think she's mine & DH is the stepdad. Lol. Or that we are a nuclear family. The first time it happened, SD was like 4. A waitress told her she had a beautiful smile like mommy & looked at me. SD just said thanks, I don't think she realized the waitress was talking about me.

However, now that she's older she notices. She doesn't say anything. Sometimes she calls me mom in public, idk why. I think she feels left out when all the other kids say... at church have their mom there & she has to explain how I am not her mom - so she doesn't. She did ask me one day why everyone thought I was her mom. I told her probably the hair, and we giggled & left it at that.

StepKat's picture

People say SD13 and I look alike lol. SD13 and I have a good relationship so we laugh and think its fun. One lady at the store couldn't believe she was not my actual daughter lol

Mercury's picture

Woot! This has never happened to me. The skids look nothing like me. Different complexions and skin tones, different hair colors, different body types. They look a lot like DH so I've heard "so what is Dad having for dinner tonight?" a few times from servers but I'm pretty sure it's obvious I'm not the mom.

SMof2Girls's picture

Yeah happens to me all the time. I don't correct it; the skids know I'm not their mom and we all understand that people aren't trying to offend me or their BM.

I've actually seen a woman in a restaurant correct a waitress, with some vigor, when she referred to her as the kids' mom. I was embarrassed for all of them.

StepKat's picture

I think SS9 has corrected some people before but I think it's because he wants to be the center of attention and always know more than others.

Disillusioned's picture

I've been confused more often as sisters with H's daughters LOL

I'm 16 years older than his eldest (I've been told I look young) and 20 years older than YSD...

YSD actually looks like me, when she dyed her hair blond people would say she looked more like me than BM and with YSD sometimes we've been asked if we're sisters, or mother/daughter, or people has just said "okay you two MUST be related" Too funny

DH's eldest adds it to her list of 'things that dad has made my life difficult with' list I think Sad and makes sure people know I'm nothing more than DH's wife

YSD has referred to me as step-mom and on occasion mom with no problems

ยป

over_the_rainbow's picture

SD calls me mom every now and then, and I don't mind, and neither of us corrects anyone when they assume I'm her mom. I had a feeling I would be 'mom' at least once in a while - the day after DH and I got married, she kept telling everyone She's my new mommy! I love my new mommy! (BM's head would have EXPLODED if she would have heard that!)

PolyMom's picture

Skids call me mom occasionally, mostly it's by accident and habit...my kids also call me "daddy" so I don't really put much stock in it. In all fairness, I'm constantly messing up their names too Smile My go to is as long as you aren't encouraging them to call you mom/dad, it's okay. BM for a time referred to DH by his first name to the kids, and her husband as "daddy" to them. Now, THAT was messed up.

learningallthetime's picture

I recently took BS7 out with a friend from school and her dad. Everyone kept saying what a great family we were, and how they looked alike! Errr, me and ex are white, girls mom is black, dad is white. There was no way we could have looked like a nuclear family!!! BS7's friend is stunning, but obviously is not the product of two white parents! We just smiled, especially as me and the dad are not even dating! So weird, I wonder if people were trying to fish, or just be polite?!