You are here

SD16 can't do anything wrong... for long

StepDoormat's picture

SD16 has done some REALLY nasty things to me. She is almost ALWAYS nice to our faces... but she has manipulated her dad, started drama with her mom, hacked our social media pages, etc. It has been a HORRIBLE year. In the past year, she has only agreed to visits twice - once to get her birthday presents and once to get her Christmas presents. Ohh... and she made sure to blast him on Mother's Day because he didn't buy anything for HER and HER SISTER (SD13). Ummm... since when do kids get anything on Mother's Day? Hmm..

Anyways. DH finally had enough of them and basically told them he was done with their nonsense. He wasn't putting up with it anymore and placed a bunch of conditions on them if they wanted to spend time with them. They are also not welcome in our home until they can prove they can be trusted. Well... SD16 has started texting him a couple times a week saying things like "how are you?," etc. SD13 is nasty and doesn't speak - even when spoken to. So, DH has decided that SD16 is "SOOOoooo much better now!" and wants to pretend like nothing EVER happened. Although, he is still upset with SD13.

In reality, other than being nasty and mean to our faces, SD13 hasn't caused *that* much drama. SD16 has been spiteful, vengeful, and made up SO many lies I've lost track. She also went and badmouthed me to most of my in-laws. But, a couple texts later and DH is acting like I am the crazy one for not being over the moon excited.

I don't like them. I don't really want a relationship with either of them. When confronted, she absolutely refused to acknowledge or apologize for ANYTHING she has done. But, DH said that because she said she wants to work on their relationship, he is forgiving all, basically. Whatever... not my kid. I don't just forgive that easily.

How do you handle the resentment from all the past problems? Sometimes it causes me to dislike my DH - who is an amazing man that supports me, sets good boundaries with the BM and always puts me first? It is mostly that he can't "stay mad" at his kids. Which, I suppose is a normal thing for parents... I'm not a parent though - and I don't love his kids at all, much less love them unconditionally. When he talks about them in any positive way, it makes my stomach turn.

I tried at first. I was so enthusiastic about meeting them. I used to try helping him build a better relationship with them. Then I realized it was fruitless. I am in the process of disengaging. To some extent I have... I just can't handle my DH acting like his daughter is the prettiest/nicest/warmest girl on earth when she is anything BUT. Then, he still treats SD13 like she has the plague because she hasn't been fakey with him like her sister.

Ugh. Sometimes I wonder how I got myself into this mess.

goincrazy.com's picture

Sounds like my SD15. she is nasty, a chronic manipulative liar and has also badmouthed me and made up lies and told the in laws. I cannot stand her and my FDH does the same thing. Shes coming around a bit more now which sends my anxiety through the roof and we avoid eachother but give the fake "hey" to humor FDH.

FDH gets so happy it literally makes me sick to my stomach when she comes around. And he goes on and on about how she's really coming around and he thinks she's changed so much and bc I don't feel the same way? I'm holding a grudge........It's sickening and I hate it all.

She brings nothing but drama and bullshit to our house but FDH is the first one to defend her. I'm sick of all of it

StepDoormat's picture

Exactly. It makes me literally sick to my stomach. He'll say things like "Ohh... SD16 posted a picture on her FB and she looked so grown up," or "SD16 is just FINE with us... it's SD13 that is really bad". What the hell?! They both suck. Its just that SD16 is his faaaaaavorite kid. Makes me sick.

OptimisticMe's picture

I bet she wants her dad to buy her a dress for a dance or wants him to buy her a car or something...so she is being manipulative and it is working.

I wouldn't count on your DH ever waking up and fully realizing that she is playing him. I am in an extreme situation and my DH only gets it to a point...when it is so obvious he can't deny the manipulations. For instance...a couple weeks ago my SD was being "good" because she can't stand her cousin who lives with her and her grandparents (she is so horrible I refuse to let her live with me and our other kids). So SD was being good in hopes it would manipulate DH and I into letting her come home. The next week she was caught smoking weed. The kid isn't better and never will be. DH MAY be starting to "get" that, but it has been a long time coming. My point is, only EXTREME circumstances will likely get your DH to understand, and I hope they never get that extreme for your sake. All you can do is communicate how you feel and hope DH is receptive and at least considers your feelings.

OptimisticMe's picture

Oh and as far as resentment from past problems...I suggest cautiously forgiving the first two occurrences but NEVER forget...so if it becomes a pattern you know not to allow yourself to be walked over. Voice your concerns to your DH but be willing to stand by his side and support him...at least until you are so disgusted you can't do it any longer...then voice your concerns again and your new standards you put in place to protect yourself and ask that he respect your safety barriers.

I would guess it will take twice as many "instances" for your husband to feel the same as you do since they are his kids. But if things don't change, he will get there...eventually.