You are here

Sd6 "accidents"

staying calm's picture

My sd6 has been having "accidents" since I started dating her father 2 1/2 years ago. Initially as far as I knew it was just wetting her pants. It was never overnight, and not when we were out and about. Just sitting at home doing this and that, and next thing you'd know she peed her pants. A year ago they moved in with me, and since that time it has become apparent that this happens way more often than I think is "normal". I know kids get excited, or they're playing and they forget to go or try to hold it and occasionally they might have an accident. But this child is nearly 7, and this happens at least once or twice a month. Also it's not just wetting her pants, in april she "messed" in her pants in my car when i picked her up from school, and just this week i took her with me to swim in my folks pool, and she messed in the pool! I asked her why and she didn't really have an answer, and also didn't understand why i was upset with her. Dad doesn't know what to do with her so he does nothing, and i find myself more and more upset with him and the fact that he's ignoring it. Dad has custody so most often it happens with us, but mom has dealt with it several times as well. mom and dad don't have a plan, and don't seem to think it's a big deal but I think something needs to be done. I think a spanking would be a good place to start, since she's never been disciplined in her life, but I'd be open to any advice or suggestions.

Kes's picture

My friend who is a child nurse, advocates this approach . Get the child to assist you in every cleaning up operation after an accident. This is not a punishment as such, but it is not all that pleasant (as you know!) and it is likely she will get fed up with it quickly and not poo and wee in her pants for long. Make her get the cleaning cloth and bucket, wipe up, rinse it out etc (it doesn't matter if she makes a poor job of this - you can redo it later - the point is that she helps). Make her fetch her own clean pants from the bedroom and put the soiled ones in the washing machine.

unbelieveable's picture

MY NIECE DOES THIS! I get SO mad. She just holds it and holds it - and then the second her brother wrestles with her SHE PEES. I GET SOOOOO MAD. I hate pee. It infuriates my brother when he has them. He doesn't get it. I don't get it. My parents are confused. It's for attention. And the kid is sooo spolied - she is fine. So now - everytime I watch her for my brother or something (because his visitations are SO bizarre with work...)I MAKE her go every half an hour so she cannot blame her brother. I have made her start cleaning up after herself - and so does my brother. Her brother told us she does it constantly at home - it may work at her BMs but NOT with us! HELL TO THE NO! she is 7!