You are here

UPDATE to Munchkin SD14 has to choose...

CLove's picture

Everyone - thank you for your insights and input. It helped me tremendously, and here is where I took what you gave...

I texted Munchkin in the am. I simply told her that I had figured out what had bothered her the night before. I told her that we care for her (I didnt want to get too mushy all at once...) and that she does NOT have to choose, that we are here to support her. That I discussed things with her father and he is in agreement that there are no hurt feelings whatever she decides to do, especially if she needs to make sure that her mother doesnt have hurt feelings.

Her response was short. "I just didnt want anyones feelings to get hurt".

I texted "I guarrantee that if you choose to go with your mother, our feelings will definitely NOT be hurt. We are here to support you. Just let me know and we will schedule with work."

Then we texted about other things (to get away from heavy topics) and it turns out her bff who is half black, half Japanese was at a demonstration. 

Nervously pulling up to the house, not knowing what would be the atmosphere, but hopeful of improvements, shes there in the back with DH, waving at me - big lovely smile. She chatted non stop for HOURS. We discussed a myriad of topics. Her rabbit, who was hopping around eating weeds, the cat, who was trying to pounce the rabbit and failing, the dog pouncing the cat...everything was commented on, with me just listening hmmmm um hmmmm.

Then she discussed her mother's family. Toxic Troll has a stepmother who is very motherly (like me she said...) and a crazy sister - Crazy Troll, who had 3 children, all taken away from her and fostered out. They had babies and they were all taken away too. And gasp, one is again pregnant and Toxic Troll wants to adopt it! 

Welcome to teenager roller coaster land. My brain is reeling from all the different topics at lightning speed.

So, Im hoping that I was able to convey things correctly. We all mess up here and there, Ive had my share. But in between the non-stop chattering, in a quiet moment she quietly told me that she wants to go with me and her father. No posters...no flash.

It was a good night. Lots of laughter and I even got her to cook with her father whereby he taught her his magic fish fry process (very involved).

So, thanks all, it really helped having everyone's experience and insights. Talked me off the "ledge".

I definitely appreciate it.

CLove's picture

That I am very much like a mother. She sort of calls me her "second mother".

I get a bit tear-eyed....

CLove's picture

Shes very much a people pleaser type of kid.

Thats why when she goes teenager on me, its almost a shock to my system. I get that "fight or flight" feeling...

But this adventure has just begun. Ive gotten a taste of teen-hood. Yikes.

justmakingthebest's picture

Girl... let me tell you! I feel like these teenage years are going to be the end of me! Or DD... not sure which LMAO

I don't know what happened to my sweet daughter some days. SOOO many tears.... SOOO much emotion!!! 

Then, other days... she is back to sweetness and light and my sweet girl. She is only 12. I am so scared of 14!!! 

CLove's picture

They must be twins! Munchkin and your DD.

Munchkin cries almost every week...

justmakingthebest's picture

Hormones... all the hormones. 

One day we were in the car and she started crying, didn't know why, then started laugh crying, then sobbing begging me to not tell anyone that she was like this, then laughing- all in the course of a stoplight. 

All I could do was laugh, promise to keep her secret and think-- her poor husband one day is going to see this when she is pregnant daily! LOL

CLove's picture

I invited her on a hike with me one day. She came up to me and said she was on her period and didnfeel up to it, then broke out sobbing. Said that for some reason she was feeling emotional. I just had to laugh!

I told her it gets worse for a few years then it gets better...

JRI's picture

You will have to keep in mind that teens have to rebel and they do it against the parents who are strong enough to take it.  I have a feeling Toxic Troll won't qualify.....

CLove's picture

She doesnt rebel against anyone, really, thats maybe the hard part/easy part. She just wants everyone to be happy with her, and not mad, or upset. But there have been little flashes here and there.

My only recourse is "open and honest communication", and then backing off. Is that strong? Im definitely a much stronger personality than her mother, in all ways. DH has told me this many times.

CLove's picture

Shes one of the reasons that I stay with DH, among many others, because the Toxic Troll is enough to scare a smart person off.

advice.only2's picture

Glad to hear it worked out well. I hope someday Munchkin can understand just how lucky she is to have you in her life.

CLove's picture

she realizes it now. Hence the super duper sweet chatterboxing attention on me. I think she felt bad for her emotional meltdown.

Shes been crying a lot. Sometimes just feels emotional for no reason. But this time we worked it out?

I hope that she doesnt fall down the step mother hatred rabbit hole later...

THANK YOU Biggrin

Rouge20's picture

So glad to hear this <3! It's hard enough being a teen in one house, I can just imagine what it feels like in two. It's good that she has you and although you'll make mistakes, as long as you are trying (as its clear you are) she'll see that over time Smile

CLove's picture

Due to Toxic Troll...

Another steptalker on my initial post said some thing like - Munchkin will always feel she has to take care of toxic Troll because shes been put in that position...her mother cannot take care of herself.

Rags's picture

Swoosh, slam dunk, and that's the game!

Well played.

In our case, if the SpermClan would have made an effort I would have even picked them up at the airport. Driven them to their fleabag hotel and rented a 15 pack van for the parade, putting them in the back of course, and Driven everyone for the parade with the kid in the front passenger seat.  The van would be fully decorated of course.

But since they never made any effort that is a moot point.