You are here

Why I have no problem doing for my bios...

CantKeepDoingThis's picture

BS20's truck is finally fixed after his little wreck a year ago. Why it took so long? Had to put money away here and there for the labor to take the parts off of the donor truck we found to put on his truck. The folks at the body shop called it a smart move...saying what we paid for the donor was less than the parts would have cost, even if we hunted around junk yards. They said we were very fortunate to find one with a perfect body, as most people sell a car for parts when they are wrecked. We found one with a bad transmission and crappy electrical.

Anyway, we went to the body shop today expecting to only take them a new battery to get the truck started and look for leaks. To our surprise, the truck was done, and we were able to drive it home! BS20 has already said thank you about a billion times to me and DH! He's like a little kid at Chistmas. Helped him get some other parts that need to be done after it sat for a year, since the labor actually ended up being a bit less than the estimate. BS20 has already offered to pay me back for the parts a little each pay check...without asking! He's that happy to get his truck back, and knows we didn't have to pay to have it fixed for him. He is actually grateful!

Now, had it been HHB? She would have whined the whole year it sat that she didn't have a car! BS20 just spent his freshman year away at college carless. HHB would have thrown a fit at that! Probably would have been lucky to get one thank you...and it would have only been to DH...even though I saved 75% of the money out of my own checks, and DH pitched in the last with his bonus so we could be sure to get it done before summer was over. (Remember, DH did adopt BS20.)

Gratefulness goes such a long way! I enjoy doing for my bios because they are grateful for everything we do for them! They don't expect it...they try to figure it out on their own first (and yes, BS20 did try to start the project with help from friends, but it was quite a project). I taught them that! Shoot, I always taught BD24 to always take care of herself first...don't depend on a man! Make sure if you get married it is only because of love, and not that you need someone to take care of you! She moved where she is because she was engaged to her high school sweetheart. After they got out there, he changed...started cheating on her and stuff. They broke off the engagement. She stayed there, and did well on her own. The guy had to come back here to move back in with his mom when he fell on his face! When the broke up, he tried to say she needed him, but it was soon obvious it was the other way around!

And that is why I enjoy doing for my bios and can't stand doing anything for HHB! The difference is gratefulness and trying, as opposed to sitting back and expecting!

omgstop's picture

^THIS^ ALL. DAY. LONG. Skids are RARELY grateful for any damned thing, especially ss9. Nothing is good enough, big enough, expensive enough. Meanwhile, just bought a few things for dd9, on clearance at Target and a few things from a consignment shop...saved a TON and she is happy as a clam! It's amazing how different these kids are. Good for you and your bios! <3

CantKeepDoingThis's picture

Yup! I know how HHB would've been in the car situation because I've seen her when she has broken a phone or other electronic! Let's just say, I've lost count how many she's broken! And every time...whine, whine, whine...."Daddeeeeeeeeee, when do I get a new one?" Even when it had only been 1-2 days since it broke! I could only imagine if it were something like a car!

Consignment or thrift store clothes? Oh yeah...HHB won't have any of that! This is how we shopped when she lived with us. Clearance, thrift, and consigned is how I always shopped for bios! They always had real nice stuff, too, because I know which shops to hit up ($300 7 For All Mankind jeans for $20, $150 Free The People dressed for $10...how I shop for myself, too)! Bios' friends always commented they must be rich, when in fact I spent the same as their parents did at JCP or Target! But that wasn't good enough for HHB! No, she needs NEW clothes from places like Vans, PacSun, HotTopic, etc! And, she needs them every season! Um, no!

Speaking of which, I wanted to post my happiness yesterday that the truck was fixed. I'll tell you...I was a little worried! When the work started, I was afraid I would get that call that the frame was bent and they couldn't fix it. After I got the status that the body work was going great, then my second worry...would we be able to drive it home, or bring it home on a flatbed and have to do a ton of mechanical work ourselves to get it running. You could imagine my relief to hear it start up yesterday without any strange noises coming from the engine! Now it just needs some TLC to make it pass inspection, but we knew that stuff would need to be done after sitting a year. Did a few things last night...fresh tank of gas, added oil, changed the air filter and PVC valve, new gas cap. Already running happier than when we left the body shop. Still need to do spark plugs and wire, change break pads and bleed the brakes, new fuel filter, and a new oxygen sensor (which is to fix a problem BS20 was chasing before the wreck). Then, BS20 will take it in for an oil change, and the truck will be all happy again! I told him I want him to change the belts and hoses befor he goes back to school, but upon inspecting them yesterday, he can do that anytime before Mid-August! So why couldn't I post? Because entitled HHB is currently bugging for a car, which she doesn't deserve because at Christmas she wrecked her girlfriend's car driving without a license. I know if she saw a post from me about BS20's truck being fixed, she would cry to BM that daddy won't buy her a car, but BS20's truck gets fixed, and then BM would call DH screaming at him!