You are here

Advice on avoiding drama

Stepaside-1987's picture

I just found out that my stepdaughter and her husband are coming to town for the holidays from Oregon. My husband was not notified of the visit, he found out through another family member. I believe something was said to SD because it was a day or two later my husband finally received a text from her that she was coming. They will be staying with her husband's parents. Because we have not received much detail or have been invited to anything yet I asked my husband if I should wait to schedule things. He told me absolutely not – if we schedule something and they give us a call last minute – "screw ‘em we are not cancelling or sitting around waiting for a f#&King phone call." I know he is hurt by her actions - he misses his grandchildren.

I have already been disengaged from SD for about a year now. Only contact has been “likes” on Facebook and those are very rare – I remain friends on social media but it is very limited. My husband and I have spoken about the issue of her dislike for me and he knows she plays games like this and only contacts him when she wants something.

I am feeling anxious because I fear she is going to try something when she is here. SD has pushed my husband’s buttons – a confrontation between them has been building for about 2 years now so I do not fear him “taking her side” if she were to try to start something. I have had enough drama in my life – I don’t’ want ANY during this visit. SO my question is because I am not a confrontational person, I also don’t want any scenes in front of SGrandkids who hardly even know me or her husband who I have never met and most importantly I no longer give a damn if she likes me or not. Do I sit there and be quiet when we do all get together or should I be a total fake, smile and just engage with the little ones?

I deep down know she is going to try and bait me and would like advice to outsmart her stupid games and let my husband have what ever little time he will have with his grandchildren a non-stressful visit. As far as me not attending anything – that is not an option I am willing to do and my husband has asked me to please join him.

fairyo's picture

Reading this post has made me grateful I am spending Christmas alone with DH this year! I am an un-confrontational person too and hate drama (part of the reason we are staying alone!)
First of all be glad at least DH has insight into how difficult his DD is and is trying to deal with it.
I think preparation for the visit is the starting point.

I used to find myself engaging more with the sgrandkids but they don't visit anymore. I think you need to accept that if there is discord in their presence it is not your place to take them out of the way, though I understand why you would do this. Maybe they are used to being part of that family circus.

These are the things I would do if it were to happen to me.

1 Not be around when they arrive if possible- if you know when they are coming take yourself for a walk or just sit upstairs
reading a book
2 Be polite but distant-
3 Be in charge of the food and drink- this gives you something practical to do which means you only exchange niceties and spend most of the time in the kitchen
4 Prepare a get out in advance- this could be a call from a friend or relative, remembering that you have something to do
elsewhere etc, devote time to a hobby, go for a run etc
5 Drink, and keep drinking until you do't care anymore, or get a bug or migraine which means you have to spend time in your bed

Apart from this I would suggest you keep calm- if there is a drama just clap inside your head as if you were watching it on stage and say to yourself that it will be over soon...

Focused_onourlife's picture

'outsmart her stupid games and let my husband have what ever little time he will have with his grandchildren a non-stressful visit". You've answered you own question right here. Be polite say hi, give hugs(if you want), dote on the sgkids a little, be general and brief with her DH as you would anyone else you first meet and find something else in the house to do.

As far as going out with them, I would get a feel of how they behave and decide if I will go. Even though your DH asked you to join, you don't have to be in an uncomfortable situation to appease him, I'm sure he would understand.

Stepaside-1987's picture

Good point! I guess maybe I was looking for reassurance that I was planning on doing the right thing! I actually feel a little stupid posting the question now. Smile

No don't feel stupid, please! One thing about being a SP is that we sometimes second guess ourselves and need a different outlook and/or reassurance. Society has put so much pressure on SP's to just suck it up and love the SK's no matter what, so I think we all have to make sure sometimes. Add to this, disengaging, this is something new that you are trying for your own sanity, so you are going to second guess yourself sometimes but it will get easier and more natural and the results will be amazing.

I also wanted to point out that, the fact that your SD hasn't called your DH sooner to inform him of her upcoming visit but made sure others knew that will tell him, tells me she is still up to her same manipulation tactics. The more your DH ignore her games and stay married to you after 'you had the nerve to disengage', the more she will intensify her punishment to your DH and until he put a stop to it and hold her accountable (and be consistant) she will not change. Stick to your disengagement while being polite and your DH will be fine. Be glad that he see's his DD for who she is and have your back.

Stepaside-1987's picture

Thank you. My DH has been very supportive. I have never said or will do anything to be vindictive etc. but I also told him I will not allow myself to be subjected to being used, lied about or hurt anymore. He agreed with me. He asked me not to hate and I told him I would never hate - I will just keep my distance. I will continue to be polite and only speak to her when spoken to. Short polite replies is all she will ever get from me.

I thought being a Mom was the hardest thing I ever had to do - WRONG being a SM is by far the hardest. I have always treated them with kindness only to have it ignored or played upon but no more. The Sgrandkids are the innocent ones so I just keep smiling when need be.

YES to everything you said! And being a SM is very hard and the most unappreciative job ever.

Stepaside-1987's picture

Fairyo - Thank you for your advice. I like the clapping in your head comment! Hell, I might even give a sweet knowing smile and think to myself "I was way ahead of you." I like the idea too of "catching a bug" and the idea of being "busy" in the kitchen etc.

Thank you Smile

SacrificialLamb's picture

I don't think you need to plan for anything, because your DH has your back. That makes all the difference in the world. When our DHs don't have our backs and the SDs are so good at turning on the charm and convincing daddy how sweet and innocent they are, our DHs wonder why on earth we would have a problem with their little cherubs.

Just ignore her, other than saying a polite hello. Focus on people who like you. Let her play her games to an unreceptive audience and fall flat on her face. You wouldn't waste time on other unfriendly unwelcoming people. SD doesn't get special privileges because she is your DH's daughter.

Stepaside-1987's picture

Thank you for the advice! I will post after the visit to let you all know how it went Smile

marblefawn's picture

Here's my tried and true list of tips for being in the same universe with my SD - and I am serious about just nearly every point:

Definitely keep busy. Take a dish that needs constant stirring or why not carve your ice sculpture right there? Clear the table, do the dishes, wash their car take on the challenge of building an addition for your hostess. Do whatever you have to do - keeping busy is crucial!!!

As soon as you get there, eye up the seating arrangements in all rooms and figure out the one closest to an exit and lay claim with your giant purse. This is so you can slip out to the bathroom, or to sharpen your carving blades...for the sculpture, of course. If you choose your seating wisely, you can even slip out just to slip out with no pretense necessary. It's all about being closest to the next room when you feel your blood starting to bubble.

Engage the nonpolitical people early on, especially kids, who won't think it's strange if you plop down and start coloring with them or building a cone of silence around yourself with their Legos. Identify the narcissists and crazy aunts who will talk your ear off so you can willingly be stuck as an audience of one all night to avoid SD altogether. If you check in with these folks early on, you can always jump back into conversations with them when you need an out.

No matter how much you need it, deserve it and will indulge the second you are out of there, don't drink! You must be on your guard so you don't slip into a trap! Ditto on prescriptions tranquilizers (I learned this one the hard way).

If you have a dog and it's a dog-friendly event, take your dog! (This is my secret weapon, but I'll tell you if you promise not to tell anyone else!) Dogs need to go out for walks and bathroom breaks, they need to be held and fed, they need sweaters put on and sweaters taken off, they are fantastic, nonpolitical talking points (especially if yours is hairless like mine) and people are always eager to talk to you about their own dog when you have your dog there - often they'll talk incessantly about their dog, so there ya go over engaging again so you can avoid other people in the room. Eagerly look at their videos and photos when they whip out their phones. If you're anything like me, you can practically spend your entire night alone with your dog in a room full of people you want to avoid. And above all that, petting your best friend will KEEP YOU CALM when things get tense!

If you are in a position with your husband to do this, have a safe word to signal a speedy emergency exit or slower-mo wrapping up of the evening. He will probably ignore the safe word even if you take this route to agree upon one because men are so clueless, but you can say the word then add the double-eyeball hike at him when no one is looking to remind him you've been saying "gobsmacked spray painted pyramid" for the last two hours. (I suggest a safe word that is in context. Learned this one the hard way too.)

Discuss and agree ahead of time what time you should leave the event so you don't slip into "stayed five minutes too long" territory. It only take five minutes to end up with a homicide charge or at least a bad-form move everyone will remember for years to come. I actually find my husband using this tactic with me and my family loves him. This also keeps you from being the last ones remaining with only SD in a small, awkward situation. You want to arrive after a few others get there and you want to be among the first to exit.

Discuss and agree what subjects should NOT be discussed in front of SD or with SD. Figure out what topics you don't want to discuss with SD if you talk alone with her and if they come up, pull down your Lego cone of silence or leave the room. Tell husband what the topics are and let him know you'll be exiting the situation if it gets uncomfortable or downright ugly and he can find you walking the dog...or perhaps at home, depending on how long it takes him to notice you left with the dog.

See, I had just more than a year to hyper-plan with statistical precision every possible negative scenario that could occur at my SD's wedding (also attended by my husband's ex, who terrifies me). I cooked up this list then and I think it's pretty comprehensive, barring SD swallowing a bone and wondering if I'm legally obliged to Heimlich it out. (I'm not.) I believe it worked. The entire event sucked and I had PTSD when I left, but I was ready for anything and felt more confident being over prepared.

If you're determined to go, this is about all you can do - you'll be in range and she'll be armed and loaded. Be sure to smile at SD (others will be watching), and constantly remind yourself that it will be over soon and if you can escape without an incident, your charm, wit and warmth will be noticed by others.

I admire that you're determined to go. My "ways to distract at wedding I'd rather die than attend" list lies in waste now that I've 100% disengaged from my SD. But I dig it out every time I have to see my own family. And remember...be careful with those ice carving knives - cold, wet hands make them slip so easily and they can land in ANYONE's skull. Smile
Good luck! YOU CAN DO THIS!

Stepaside-1987's picture

I love it!! Thank you. Her Grandmother will probably be watching me like a hawk so good point about making sure I look like a sweet loving SM. I plan on bringing a big purse and if I need a nice swig of some strong liquor - I'm taking it. I also like the idea of choosing my seat so I can easily escape!

It is also possible I won't see them at all. I could very easily see her calling her Dad to meet for lunch when I am at work and BAM I'm safe from any conflict! It will piss my husband off because he will know damn well what she is up to BUT I will tell him enjoy the grandchildren! Smile I'd rather be alone at work then spend time with a fake who has hurt and used me.

marblefawn's picture

You know, you might be nearing the time when it's appropriate to say, "Honey, you'll have a better time if I'm not there. It won't be so tense." After all, it sounds like he's the only one who wants everyone there, but he's the one person in a position to demand civility from her and he won't.

I remember being in your spot: his mention of an impending visit; the instant nervous stomach; the precision planning of "what if she says XYZ? What will I say???" and "What if he just stands there while she screams at me in public again?"

I feel as if I failed to reach her, to make her like me, to get past her issues. But at the same time, I don't miss the roller coaster of negative emotions that I used to get when I knew I had to endure her.

Hopefully, you can avoid her. If not, maybe it will go well enough. If not, maybe think about how it might be if you just don't go. Her behavior will decide if you need to take that drastic step. Good luck!

Stepaside-1987's picture

If she even tries to yell at me or treats me like sh#t - my husband will rip her a new a$$hole. That I do not fear. I just wanted some advice on how to outsmart her before she could even try anything. I want my husband to be able to visit with his grandchildren and enjoy his visit. I have a grandchild of my own and he is wonderful to her.

It sounds like it will only be an hour or two at the most that we see them - so I can do that. I would also like to see the grandchildren. They are the innocent ones and always want me to color with them, play with them, etc. so I can do that for an hour and follow all the good advice I have received here and come out looking like a rose Smile I believe that will irritate her more because she will have nothing to complain about or point a finger! Smile

sammigirl's picture

Oh, this is deja vu for my Thanksgiving with SD57 and SGD33.

Your situation has not reached the point of disengagement as mine, yet. Hopefully your DH continues to have your back. Mine did not.

God Luck
You sound like a giving person.

((hugs))

Stepaside-1987's picture

I came into the marriage with an open heart and knew I would be nothing more than "Dad's wife" because his children were all adults. The others I don't have any issues with however they live close by and she doesn't so that might be part of it. My husband said she was always the jealous type and was always manipulative. We have talked about the situation and my husband knows my heart and he knows hers. We had another conversation last night so as the visit gets closer - and I feel more secure about him having my back, I am just going to visit with the grandkids and not her. Be polite, smile and be busy with other things as suggested. I already have it planned in my head that I will be baking cookies when they come over and the grandkids can help Smile

still learning's picture

Skids like this literally shoot themselves in the foot when they try to punish daddy for daring to remarry and finding happiness. I'm sure you and DH would spoil those gkids rotten given the chance. It's terrible that she is depriving her children from two grandparents who could be an amazing support and loving influence in their lives.

Your plan of baking cookies w/gskids and focusing on them is great. Hopefully SD will visit w/dad and behave herself.

Stepaside-1987's picture

Update: She has come and gone. She didn't do anything specific to me but my DH did notice this time that his granddaughter acted very distant towards me and suspects she has been hearing no so kind things about me. Gifts were given and though I signed my name I was never acknowledged or thanked. That is the last time I am signing any f*&king cards. I also noticed that all facebook posts excluded any mention of me or any picture of me with the grandkids. My mother-in-law was also hurt because she was never called or did they ever stop by to see her so she is done also. Sometimes I wish I was a cold-hearted bitch and this stuff wouldn't get to me but her underhanded way of letting me know I don't matter- will back fire on her. Next time she visits - I will NOT be going out of my way to visit her. My mother-in-law said the same thing. She's done. My DH was hurt and she will one day push him away too.