You are here

Wow, I must be missing something

steponmeagain's picture

Well, Christmas is over and in the all hurry and rush with Christmas, I wasn't sure if SS19 got myself (no big deal) or his mother a birthday or Christmas present along with anyone else. Well, our daughter who is 11 did buy presents with her own money for everyone, grandparents, SS19, and her mother. Mother finds out that she bought a present for SS and tells him he better get her a present which is good. However, he doesn't buy a thing for anyone else or for her and it is her birthday. Sure, no problem, he gets hundreds of dollars from grandparents in gift cards but nothing for anyone. I ask my wife the other day, so did SS get anything for anyone and she said no, and that's fine.

No that's not really fine I feel but maybe I am missing something. My father, mother, sister all get him presents and he can't get anyone even a box of chocolates. His grandparents spoil him rotten as usual. My wife who was born on the 25th and is his biggest promoter of how gifted he is gets nothing as well.

Wow! He has been working for 7 months. I am not surprised. Thank goodness for disengagement or else I would be losing it. I am sure my wife must be disappointed though but won't not let on.

hereiam's picture

Well, my SD is 23 and has never gotten us so much as a Christmas card, much less a gift of any kind. She's never given her dad a birthday card, either.

We don't see her on Christmas so when we do see her (sometime after Christmas), it's specifically to give her and her kids their gifts. I would just feel so weird going to someone's house just to pick up gifts and not even has a card for them. She thinks nothing of it. I mean, you can pick up a card for ninety-nine cents. She could have her kids make us a card, anything. But, no.

Ruby55's picture

My step monsters get nothing for us, not even cards. Glad I no longer get them anything either!

steponmeagain's picture

Karma is weird thing. I go away on a work trip in a couple weeks and I always bring back souvenirs for everyone. This will be a no brainer and hopefully a lesson learned but I doubt it. No lessons can be learned unfortunately.

AllySkoo's picture

Meh. Don't worry about your wife. She's a big girl, and if she says it's fine then just take her word for it.

On the other hand, I think I'd tell YOUR parents that getting gifts for SS19 is no longer necessary. At 19 (20 next year), he's an adult - much too old to be getting xmas presents from other adults as if he were a child. (If you - or, more likely, your wife - want to continue to include SS in a gift exchange with extended family, I'd suggest going the Secret Santa route so it's clear SS is *expected* to buy someone a gift.) Your wife can do as she pleases, obviously, but your parents (and you too, for that matter!) don't have to buy an ungrateful adult anything at all.

Stormyweather's picture

yeah...I hate the whole feeling entitled to gifts thing too, whilst not being prepared to even buy their "loved ones" a measly card. It happens here too with poor SS15 who plays the victim card to a tee.

The fact that no one says anything to your SS does my head in. How is he ever going to "learn?"

I like the idea about secret Santa, or at least to give him the option to be included. If he chooses not to, then he can come along later, after the lunch/dinner has been served.

And as for the lollypop in the shape of a weed bong from your SD18.....OMG. Words do not describe my reaction if that ever happened to me. What did you say/do?

rainbow bright83's picture

I think this is the norm when it comes to self absorbed skids. SD19 gets $$$ from her very well to do aunt and grandma. But does she ever get anyone anything.... NO. My inlaws cater to her every wish. My DH is always getting her gift cards (since she takes back actual gift items for the $$$)
I'm sure that if someone brought this: you GIVE and receive, her head would explode.