You are here

Considering counseling

Sadasusual's picture

Down to my last options with trying to have a happy relationship with a father. Still dating, together over a year now, no horror stories but I can't seem to get used to the SS/BM part. Before I consider the fact that this might not work, I'd like to think about seeing a counselor on my own. My question is, has anyone tried this, or know which type of counselor I should go to?

counseling.advocate's picture

Go to a marriage and family therapist that specializes in step families. Don't assume just because they have the credentials that they have that knowledge. Make a list of important questions you have and ask. You should really like your counselor before settling down with one because it really sucks to change and start over with a new one.

It's a good idea! It provides an environment where you two can openly confront real issues that will arise in your future with your SO if you stay with him and you need to find out how willing he is to accommodate you, co-parent, what kind of husband he will be, etc. There is a lot to discuss before marriage to see if you are compatible because love just isn't enough to sustain a marriage.

Good luck!