You are here

Steptobe responds:)

stepmum's picture

I wanted to thank everyone for their advice, whether it was what I wanted to hear, needed to hear, or was from own experience...

I know everyone will have a different idea of what to do in this situation, and I know that fiancee has his side of the story as well...there are always two.

Just a few notes -- yes, blueberry, she really *does* sleep on the mattress! Lol! Also, he is a -great- dad, like many of the stepmommies on this board say about their own boyfriend and husbands -- he often ends up doing the laundry, the cooking, some of the cleaning. Granted, a lot of it was because he had difficulty letting me step in, but it's gotten easier as time passed. Also, I had an epiphany today after we talked -- I realize that as long as he had ex-wifey as a sure thing, he was going to be scared to jump into the unknown void with me. I have not always been completely reliable in the past (I was 26 when I met him, and ummm...I was single? I didn't have kids? I don't have younger siblings? Never babysitted? It took me a while to catch on!), but now I'm turning 30 in November (A nice Scorp, for all you ladies who know their stars:) -- he is a Capri) and I know what and who I want to be.

Onto the update!

We talked earlier today and he basically was frustrated because I wasn't being clear about what I needed or what was bothering me (a half million things!) and he's a very pragmatic person and likes to know what's what in plain and simple terms...like most guys, he doesn't work well with, "something vague is bothering me, fix it!" So, I spent the better part of what should have been a workday typing up 3 letters.

The first one addressed the prenuptial agreement that he won't budge on. I wrote that I had my own lawyer draw up a prenuptial that was the opposite of his and that we were to look at both contracts and concentrate on the strengths and weakness of each one and COMPROMISE. Just saying no without backing it up with either a solution or a reason was not acceptable! I followed up with a guarantee that once the new papers were drawn, I personally would pay the notary and sign the same day they come.

The second one was a calendar that I made out highlighting birthdays, holidays, and a custody agreement -- we get the boys for the majority of the time, 7 months, but she is here for all of the holidays and the birthdays, including the entire summer since that's when they will have time to be with her now that the oldest is in first grade. I was once furious -- furious -- I screamed at my entire family because they didn't invite my mom to my 23rd birthday but my dad brought his girlfriend. I didn't hate her, I was just mad that they were still being so immature after so many years. If I can feel that way at 23, 7 years after my parents divorced, I can't even imagine how two little boys would feel if mom missed their birthday. Parents can do whatever they want to it if they don't like the dates or the amount of time, but it is a must for me. I'm already so stressed out because we never know when she is coming or how long she'll be here...sometimes it interferes with our vacation plans, it is very aggravating. If this is going to go on for years, there needs to be a plan! I need stability! I need peace of mind! Again, there is no guarantee with someone like her who floats from place to place, but it is -something-.

Aaaaaaand the third one adresses what I will not accept when she comes to the house. I know that a lot of you probably feel it's absolutely crazy for her to be there at all. I mean, the EX sleeping just 1.5 rooms away from me and my fiancee? And you may be right -- but I trust him 100% and she's crazier than I am and we can't FORCE someone who has schizophrenia and believes she's a target of a conspiracy, to get a house. We also can't force her to get a job (she is on disability right now). What I -can- do is explain what the terms will be if it happens.

She needs to go away from the house -at least- one weekend out of each month that she's there. If she's there for 3 months, she needs to skedaddle 3 times. She is not to rearrange things or to just take over. For the first month she can do as she wishes to give the boys an idea that mom is there and is the go-to guy now, but after that everything goes back to normal. My fiancee and I cook and take care of most things. I guess that's kind of crazy, too...who -fights- for the right to cook and clean? Man this is making me nuts! Ha. And the third thing is...well, I don't remember.

I feel MUCH stronger. I know that the ball truly is in his court now and if this is the game he asked for and then he's not willing to play, there's my answer. IF we can work through this, then I think we'll be much stronger. IF we can't, then I am 100% prepared to leave and go on with my life.

Here's hoping and praying that he does the right thing and takes me seriously. In the meantime, I'm taking care of ME -- yay for pedicures and hot tea!

Thanks so much, everyone:)

evilsm's picture

Sounds like you have taken this bull by the horns. I think this is a positive, smart and empowering move for you. Good luck, hope it all works out. Way to go!

stepmum's picture

I know a lot of the others are telling me to run. Maybe they're not, but they ain't telling me anything I haven't been able to figure out in the last 3 years. A lot of the ladies on this board are fairly co-dependent, and I don't mean that as a mean thing to say -- I'm a recovering co-dep (always will be) and I really do wonder the number of ladies on here who come from families where there were alcoholics or drug abuse. I can't think of a better criteria for getting into a relationship that you'll never be able to control and into a situation where you're guaranteed to be unhappy 50 percent of the time and you feel powerless. They say run, but I have successfully "negotiated" with him before. I am giving him the chance to make things right and I'm prepared to go -- not if he doesn't give in to my demands, but if he won't even consider them. I'm not out to bully anyone into doing what they don't want to do. But he really does feel trapped! He honestly feels the kids should not be harmed by the bm's inability to get her shit together and I really do understand that.

The point is this....IF I go into this with eyes wide open, IF I know that he is on my side and will continue to do so, IF I know we are capable of compromise and IF he learns that it's okay to set limits with her (and he really is terrified of her doing something crazy and trying to get custody) then maybe we'll be alright.

Thank you very much again. Smile

LastStraw's picture

steptobe, i really think you could be making a big mistake here. My take on reading your story is like some of the others - take his advice and run. Just doesn't seem like the guy is treating you right or that he has any concern for you. Yeah he cares about the boys and the bm, but i don't see where he shows any concern for you. Add to that a really funky situation ... man!

So you have your reasons. You might want to keep trying to work things out. But i'd really say hold off on the marriage. If you want to stick aroun and work things out ok. But if things are this difficult and unsatisfactory - hell you don't even stay there all the time! - do you really want to get married??? Especially when he's made it clear that marriage won't change anything?

if things get better at some point and stuff gets resolved then that's the time to get talk marriage. in my opinion.

good luck

Hesitant's picture

What are the reasons you want to stay again? What are the benefits for you? Sounds like to me your BF has all the benefits and is not only asking you to conform, but to sign a pre-nup? Sheesh! I say RUN RUN RUN away from him!

Hesitant's picture

If your boyfriend will 'do anything for the kids mom to be a part of their lives', then why did he divorce her to begin with?

stepmum's picture

Why does anyone divorce anyone else? She wasn't happy. He got fed up with her. They were living more like roommates than husband and wife. She wasn't the same person he married. She wanted to go, he told her to leave. Just because the parents divorce doesn't mean the kids divorce. I agree 100% that he is enabling her to continue to do what she does. That's not anything within my control and it won't change. The only thing I can do is choose whether or not to stay. I DO agree with him that the kids should not be punished just because mom has a tenuous grasp on reality.

evilsm's picture

truly know how much you can deal with in your relationship. I too went through difficult times with DH before we were married. I ended our relatioship once but after working through issues we got back together and were married 6 months later. I am so glad that I left the door open, he is a wonderful man. Point is, my friends thought I should have left him in the dust but, I knew if I didn't try a least once, that I would be wondering forever if it would have worked out. I think I am with this man for a reason, maybe for me, maybe for him, maybe for the kids or perhaps for all of our own good. Yes we have problems, BM, the kids, we will probably always have these issues but I am happier now than I have ever been, even with the problems. Good luck steptobe. I hope things work out. Smile

v's picture

I've never heard of anything like this. I really can't believe you are even considering this arrangement. You may think now that you can do it, and if so your a saint! I agree with the ladies above, don't even think of marriage until you've experienced this 'living arrangement' for at least a couple of years. Yes, the kids shouldn't be punished, but do you think this living arrangement will show the kids what 'normal family life' is. I think this will be very confusing to them as they get older. Kids always want their parents to get together, no matter what age, and I think these kids will be confused as to whether or not this will happen. they will get their hopes up for the 7 months or so when mom is around, then they will start to adjust to step mom and dad, and it will start all over again. I think your BF needs to seek counseling and see what a counselor says of this arrangement and how a marriage could work like this or what this might do to the children.

Smell The Coffee's picture

I agree and its called denial, avoidance/conflict issues, dysfunctionalism and low self esteem. Until she figures that out herself everyone can turn blue in the face offering help. She'll formulate pages of why its normal and can or will work. Her signing a prenuptial really spells it about this guy, as well as everything else! I can't even be delicate here..its so blatantly obvious..three words of advice from me...Flush That Turd!

stepmum's picture

I am none of those things...I have my eyes wide open, I hardly think that starting a conflict with him is avoiding conflict, and hell, EVERYONE is dysfunctional in some way, shape, or form. The one thing I most certainly DON'T have is low self-esteem. How's that for denial? I'm pretty sure it's a never-ending pseudo cycle in a conversation with you -- no matter what anyone says it's pretty obvious they are going to fall somewhere within the categories you listed.