You are here

Expectations and different parenting styles.

Biostep7777's picture
Forums: 

This is a hot topic but I'm open to hearing different perspectives. I do want to be fair. 

So, my kid's dad and Ihave always been very very good at coparenting together. We have the same parenting style. 
So, our oldest turned 16 and dad gave her his old car. We are happy to help the kids out BUT she needs to pay for her gas, maintenance like oil changes and she needs to work and keep up on grades to be able to have this car. She does one extra curricular activity here and there and volunteers in the summer as a counselor as well. 

OK.... so here's the issue. Oldest SS is 15 and wants s car next year. We asked him what he plans on doing as far as work, maintenance and paying for gas. We told him he needs to get a job and contribute if he wants a car. 

He said.... "well I don't know when I would have time to work" he was VERY insulted that we expected him to work because he does so many sports and activities that he doesn't have time to get a little p/t job. 

Well in our home we expect 16 year olds to work if they want a car. Not 20 hours a week but a couple afternoons a week. Are we being unreasonable?? Should we get him a car when he doesn't have time to pay for any of it? I just feel that the entitlement is out of control. My kids HAVE to work. They HAVE to contribute towards the car. This isn't an option. But SS feels he should not have to do anything and still get a car. 

tog redux's picture

You and your DH should parent as you want in your home. You already know that BM will buy him a car and pay for all of it, rescue him from working and use it all to alienate your DH, but continue to parent as you see fit. 

hereiam's picture

Guess it will be time for him to learn about priorities; he will have to pare down his extracurriculars so he can work a few hours, if he wants a car.

LittleCloud9's picture

When you're an adult you often have to let go of things you enjoy to take care of necessities. If he wants a car he should work and that means he might have to drop an extra activity or two. That's life, you have to balance work and play. I don't believe the sports and activities are justification for him to get a handout. Actually being able to participate in that many sports and activities is already a big gift for him as many families can only afford one or two activities, if any. These things are a bonus, not something he's entitled to have. You are right to teach him he needs to be responsible and balanced, he can't have everything just because he wants it. 

ndc's picture

It sounds like you and your ex are on the same page with parenting decisions, which is great.  Obviously your DH and your skids' BM are not, so it probably doesn't matter what you want - BM will buy the car and pay for the gas, maintenance and insurance. 

I don't think either approach is necessarily wrong.  My parents bought us cars and paid for our gas/insurance/maintenance.  They could easily afford it and preferred that we be involved in ECs and devote our time to school.  We did work during the summer but got to keep our earnings.  That was the norm in our area.  OTOH, my DH bought his own car and paid for his own insurance and maintenance. That was the norm among his peer group where he grew up.  As adults, we both have a good work ethic, and I am much better with finances than he is,  so I don't think having a paid-for car hurt me,  nor did having to pay for his own hurt (or particularly benefit) my DH.  It's a parenting choice and I don't think there's a clear cut right or wrong approach.  (BTW, I still have and drive that car my parents bought when I was 16).

Your biggest issue in your home is going to be the disparity in treatment between your kids and your DH's. I suspect your kids have been dealing with that disparity long enough that they're used to it, but I can imagine there will be some grumbling. 

ETA: Your skids do sound very entitled, and I think it makes sense for your DH to ask his kids to contribute towards a car to get them past that entitlement mindset, but ultimately I'd be shocked if BM doesn't provide the car and all expenses while insisting that your DH contribute (which of course he can refuse). It'll be just another alienation opportunity for BM.

Biostep7777's picture

I have a HUGE pet peeve with entitlement, snowplow parenting ect... so it's been torture for me to watch this in my odm house. DH doesn't like it either and puts them in their place but unfortunately she just uses that as a way to alienate DH more. "Oh I'm so sorry your father was putting you down" "I am so sorry your father doesn't suppprt you" 

So we are in a position of just pushing these kids further away because we treat them like normal kids instead of entitled brats. Their mom is constantly saying "they are exceptional children and deserve to be treated as such. Don't you want the best for our children? They are EXCEPTIONAL" 

Omfg!!!! 

caninelover's picture

At least he is showing interest in driving, mobility and independence.  Bratty didn't learn to drive until 19 and was happy to have Dadddeee drive her everywhere.  Even the summer she stayed here (where she had access to a convertible) she didn't drive much because it 'scared' her.  When really she just wanted to spend a lazy summer getting up late, watching TV, etc.

I think you and DH should stick to your guns; you know that a car is a responsibility and are trying to teach that.  Unfortunately BM will probably torpedo that lesson but that doesn't mean you should cave either.  

NoWireCoatHangarsEVER's picture

She works as a hostess at TGiFridays and is dual enrolled at the college and does the tech work for the plays at our Community playhouse. She has to pay her car insurance and gas and I bought the car. She does seem very busy but pretty happy I would say. She likes the freedom of having a car 

ESMOD's picture

The good thing is that  you and your DH are on the same page with what you expect teens to do.  As others have mentioned.. it can go various ways.. some parents encourage the EC and schoolwork and discourage after school jobs that might interfere with those things.. that arguably are also important for college entrance applications.  BUT.. many families don't do that.. either they can't afford it, or they feel there is more need for the kid to have skin in the game to appreciate the responsibility of having a car to drive.

We actually bought our OSD a car but made her younger sister buy in half.  Ironically, it's actually the younger sister who has turned out  more responsible.. but it was the older girl's lack of responsibility that made us come to the decision to not fully bankroll the younger girl's car.

So... let's say that this kid truly has some talent for playing a sport and potentially could get scholarships to pay for all or part of his college expenses.. along with his strong academic performance.. I mean, I could see letting him maximize his sports performance and not require the job if the goal was to make him more likely to be recruited to a college level scholarship opportunity.. where making him go work the piggly wiggly would take from that effort and possibly cause his rank to be lower and not get a scholarship.

So, if the kid is honestly in THAT category.. I guess the choice to push him to work would be more difficult.. knowing it might hurt his chances.

But, if he is just run of the mill and sports aren't his ticket to a scholarship... maybe he should be asked to work.. even if it might be just for the summer to save some money to cover some expenses throughout the year for insu and gas.?

Biostep7777's picture

The issue is thaf mom thinks they are exceptional at everything they do in life and thinks they can get scholarships. I'm telling you right now. There is a less than zero chance of that happening. Not only are the average athletes but their attitude sucks. They are entitled. Their mother allows them on several teams so they can't commit to any of them and shows up when they want and they are NOT team players. They have an it's all about me attitude. They don't volunteeer, they don't do anything that would be put in the exceptional category. They are academically gifted though and school is very easy for them. If they can be on 3 teams at one time I think they can be one one team and get a little job. This shouldn't be difficult for kids that are "exceptional" right? Lol!!! 

These kids are her narcissist extension of herself. She needs to look exceptional to the outside world so obviously her children have to as well because they are a reflection of herself and DH is just getting in her way so she needs to get him out of the picture. He has real expectations of their children. She doesn't. It's an absolute shit show. These kids think they are superior and deserve things handed to them. That is NOT the kind of kid colleges are looking for. My husband got into one of the most prestigious colleges in the world playing sports btw but according to her DH doesn't understand what it takes. Lol!!

ESMOD's picture

I totally understand your POV.  And.. my reasoning doesn't mean that SHE gets to make that call for your husband as far as HIS opinion of the value of work/sport/school balance. 

I absolutely think he can create the boundary with his kids and with her.  Look, all the kids in MY household have to contribute if they want parental support for them owning a car.  If the boys don't want to hold up their end of the bargain.. I'm not going to provide funding for vehicles and insurance.  I can't stop you from doing it.. but I don't have to participate... period.  My rule is that they must work at least some of the time even if it is summers and breaks only... if they won't do that? you are free to do what you see fit BM.

Justme519's picture

I have 3 step children. Ages; 21, 18 & 15.

The 21 had his first job at 16, got straight A's, and bought his own car (we matched what $$ he put in).

The 18 is now a senior in high school, struggles to pass and admits that he cheats when he can, doesn't have a job or a car.  He father (my husband) & his BM have not forced him to get a job.

So, I am the only one who sees anything wrong with this. My husband and I have gotten into so many arguments over it....

HELP!!!!!