You are here

Observations From Behind The Wood Shed

Java_Junkie's picture

Some random observations from a step-son turned step-dad... To say the grass is greener on the other side of the fence is silliness. As a step-son, I could see it was pretty brown on both sides and I wondered why dad was more worried about her feelings that he was mine; now I get it. As a (soon to be) step dad, I see my fiancé is more worried about her kids feelings than she is mine, and while I appreciate that (having been a SKid, myself) - I don't know if she understands how much I care, especially when she sees me being a dad to the kids. It's like walking a tightrope...

My 18 year old son moved in with us last summer, and after the "Life of Riley" at his mom's, he didn't adapt well to us having expectations. You know, tough stuff, like "Take out the trash and recycling before Monday morning," "Get up in the morning and go to Driver's Ed," etc... Too many rules, so he ran back to mama after barely a week... I'm giving him some tough love these days, as his 18-going-on-19 wisdom has him telling me how wrong I am about how the world works. Ha! - uhh, ahhhhhh... I recall a series of epiphanies for myself about that age. Hard to imagine those epiphanies came so few years after I learned **SPOILER ALERT** there was no Santa Claus LOL... So I have to give him some time to figure it out, just like I was given. He'll get there, but only after we all stop showing him. Smile

I had been working with my soon to be SKids, and I must say, fiancé sometimes treats her son as if he's a saint. Nobody can point out anything negative AT ALL. It's really given me cause to look at things considering "societal norms" for everyone, and there's a perpetually awkward stance by which step parents are expected to live.

Reasoning:
Parents have got the biological link advantage. That's better than "home team" - it's in your DNA. When mommy brought Junior home, everything was *perfect* about him. She saved a lock of his hair from his first hair cut. She took photos of every cute thing he did. She saved his first poopy diaper and had it freeze-dried (What?? You DIDN'T??). He could do NO WRONG. Even when he was wrong, there was a good reason, so TECHNICALLY, it was RIGHT. She took him to the grocery store, and he was running wild in the aisles like Mowgli in the jungle...

Strangers have NO biological link. They DO NOT find other kids' poopy diapers to be precious. They didn't get to watch Junior learn to walk or ride a tricycle. So, naturally, when Junior is doing his Mowgli impression in aisle Six, the stranger might look at the mom with a "Hey, lady... get your brat under control" scowl... Who knows, maybe he's a crusty curmudgeon and instead of yelling "Get offa my lawn!" he'll say, "Cool it, kid, you might bump into someone and embarrass your mom." GOD FORBID this stranger might actually DISCIPLINE Junior - after all, he's a STRANGERRRRRR.

But Step Parents are somewhere in between, and it's a wicked double-standard for us all to walk into. Awkward? Stilted? Uneven? Unfair? Pick any of these terms, add your own, do as you like... but it's TOUGH. Anyone who says otherwise was either blessed with an excellent mix of all the right ingredients and timing, or they've never been a SKid or SParent.
The difficulty comes in when we're expected to join in all the enthusiasm of meeting Junior at age 11, and at some point, mom has to show off his baby album.
Albums.
Library of albums. In a shrine dedicated to Junior. With this wadded up white plastic pouch under a glass box with lights shining on it, and as you walk closer, you see faint pastel-colored lettering that says "HUGGIES" - and a small sign that says, "Junior's first poop, January 2006." Holy shi - wait, no. But seriously, you're supposed to be that enthusiastic. Bubbly. Effusive. Remember the videos of North Korean people showing their overjoyed state when their Dear Leader walked by? Not quite like that because that's obviously forced, but you do need to show borderline glee.
Whenever Junior does something good, be prepared to host a party. Liking parties, I'm DOWN with that. He got all Cs and one B on his report card? Heh, my folks would have thrown a HUGE party for me, too!

Here's the kicker... When I was a kid, if I used a pellet gun and shot out my neighbor's bathroom window, I would have been in deep (said with a Barry White voice: "Mmmmm... Ohhh, yeahhh, baby... DEEEEEP") trouble. Mom and dad would promptly pay for the repair, and would promptly assign some chores at the neighbor's house (as well as our own) to repay them for the glass and to atone for doing something so incredibly stupid. The chores would have hopefully kept me standing and walking, because SURELY I wouldn't be able to sit for a week.
But a step parent can't do that, because a step parent, in a negative situation, is expected to be more like the stranger and NOT be the disciplinarian role to Junior. "How DARE you discipline MY child!!!" Step parents are often expected to not really have an opinion on things. Well, like political or religious discussions at the beauty parlor, "You can have those opinions, as long as you keep them to yourself." Step parents might be smart to keep in mind that, like political or religious comments, parenting "tips or suggestions" might be equally unwelcome. It can be tricky to navigate these things, and bear in mind that some days, no matter what you do, it'll be wrong.

yolo222's picture

But if u have to disengage why bother having a spouse and step kids. For me disengaging would not be an option. The only option for me would be for me and my SO to be one united front. If not I'm out...

CLove's picture

For me - it is purely situational. One SD10 - she is sweet, kind, loving towards me, and listens when I ask her to please do x,y,z. SD17 is a liar, a thief, rude, disrespectful. My So - he is wonderful, kind and loving, respectful, and we both discourse on how we act as equals and what that means. So, for me - it is a temporary solution to a problem.

For example, Yolo - I do not ask SD17 to do her dishes. I leave them and ask SO to either do them, or "take care of them", or ask darling daughter to do them. Either way, I stay out of the "parenting" picture. I am living with SD part time right now, and who knows - in the near future she claims to want to live with us full time when she turns 18 and graduates. If so, then it will be a group discussion, along with expectations. I will take a more active role, because darn it its my home and I will be respected, and no one has responsibility anymore for this youngling.

My SO - hes confounded - its his first time dealing with this kind of thing. SD17 has been a chore at best, and pretty horrid at worst for the past 3-4 years. And so, I tell him what I am learning in this forum (stealing phraseology, yes) and I apply much of the techniques and take to heart the responses.

There are days when I am doing great, and then days when "bam!" I'm hit with the enormity of it all, and just want to start fresh with someone new (childless). I do feel like reading this document has helped in the way it puts words to my emotions and gives credibility to those same emotions.

yolo222's picture

I understand. Your going through the typical teenage years etc. it will get worse before it gets better!

Java_Junkie's picture

THANK YPU.

I finally read this, and it's really close to what I've started doing. I haven't taken the toys and donated them, but rather, I'll just leave them out. Fiancé's son has a plastic LED lighted football he was throwing around, and he left it outside. Cool by me, I just moved it out of my way but left the light on. LEDs are so efficient...the batteries are still lighting them, though they're getting dimmer by the day.

I put up a basketball goal over the garage, at the request of fiancé. I mentioned they'd shoot balls and they'll bounce over the fence and into the neighbor's yard, and the kids will have to go get them - it won't be my job. Also, I predicted they'd hit the DIRECTV dish (that hasn't happened yet). She said none of that would happen, but guess what? Every. Day. The ball went over the fence. The first time, he wanted to climb the fence, and I said, "Don't do that - go knock." That made me an axxhole, but he did it. Day 2, the ball went behind the backboard and got stuck, so her son climbed on top of the recycling bin and onto the roof. Seeing how the recycling bin's lid is flimsy plastic, that struck me as dangerous as Hell, so I said something. Then, later, we heard this racket outside, and one of his friends was bouncing the ball in fiancé's truck. Bear in mind, about a year and a half ago, her son dented the hood of my 2013 Honda CR-V with a basketball, so I learned to not leave my vehicle out because she saw nothing wrong with that event - "They were just playing..." so this time, I said, "Well... not my friend, not my ball, not my truck, not my problem." Fiancé and her son both went out and got him to stop.

One day, he had a PITA friend over, who put the ball over the fence several times, and they got tired of asking the neighbor - so they just left it. Next morning, early, the neighbor tossed it over into our driveway, and though the kids walked right past it, nobody really noticed it - and as fiancé was backing out of the garage and turning around in the driveway, the ball got stuck under the truck and she popped it. Didn't bug me at all, it wasn't my ball or my truck. So for the next several days, he and his friends played with his sister's bouncy ball, but now that has a hole in it. Again, not my ball, not my concern - but it'll be interesting to see how that works out. Fiancé's Order for 2 new basketballs arrived, so this will be fun.

So far, disengaging is working for me.

yolo222's picture

All very very true and this is why I choose not to become a step parent and leave. This is not a normal situation. People were not meant to help raise another's children when they have no authority.

Here's the thing you and others in this situation have a choice. Make an educated one. If things are not good they will not get better with marriage. I'm baffled by how many people I see on this site STAY In A bad situation because they LOVE their SO. They have no authority over kids that live in their homes and their spouses put them dead last as far as priorities. I'm not saying everyone here but many.

The only way this type of situation can work is when u place a marriage above all else. Many are not willing to do this. And they let children and exes run the show.

Always remember you are never stuck in a bad situation. There are other options.

Java_Junkie's picture

Excellent post.

I have a FEW choices.
Stay or leave? I'll stay.
Staying... to stuff my feelings down or to make my feelings known? To make my feelings known.
Staying, will make my feelings known... to set some boundaries and expectations or to let someone impose theirs onto me?
Staying, will make my feelings known, will set some boundaries and expectations. And since I'll be doing all that, I'll actually hold those I love accountable when they break the boundaries or don't meet the expectations.

After all, that's what people do in HEALTHY relationships, right? We set boundaries and expectations, we hold each other accountable, we share our feelings and listen to each other as appropriate, and we always have each other's back. I don't know why, but too often, the SParent is viewed as less than a parent - but I know that actually MORE is expected of us.

ldvilen's picture

Very true! "This is not a normal situation. People were not meant to help raise another's children when they have no authority."

Interesting that that is the conclusion I've been coming to too lately--there is no way for a step-parent to win. Sure, if you have a supportive spouse, no PAS is going on whatsoever, and a fairly easy-going SK who adapts to change quickly, THEN the happy joy-joys of the blended family might, just might be attainable. But, what are the odds of that?

To me, it is either no authority and no responsibility, or authority and responsibility. But, as soon as a child is in your home, whether that be a SK or the next door neighbor's 10-year-old, you are responsible whether the bio-parent is there or not. For people to say things like, "you have to stay out of it," or "let his real mom or dad handle it," is rather ridiculous. This is your home! If you're going to lack authority in your own home, I can just see the SK thinking you are some lesser adult on the side who tattles on him or her to his mom or dad.

That is why the only way I really think for it to work is more-so like Rags, where he and his wife are a true team who puts their marriage first, and Rags has just about as much authority in the home as his wife, and the kids respect him for it.

Otherwise, maybe it is either divorce or disengage? I know the disengage part is controversial, but I look at the term as meaning that SM or step-dad does what works for them vs. letting others control their lives, or them having to suck it up and take it, or them taking the high road 100% of the time while no one else does.

Java_Junkie's picture

LOL, no... she didn't save his poop. Smile It's humorous satire.

But I will say this... he plays baseball a little better than average, and if he would practice more, he'd get better. But he'd rather not practice, and she doesn't push him. He's not a "natural." He's not a phenom. That's cool by me. But she gets so excited by it that he doesn't want to let her down, and so he's actually trying so hard - FOR HER. After the game or practice, we'll walk to the car and she'll compliment him on several plays he's made, and he'll keep on fishing for more and more compliments, and on the drive will keep asking, "Mommy, did you see that play I made? That was really good, wasn't it?" I'm thinking, umm, yeah, she brought it up on the walk to the car and complimented you on it, we've been talking about it for the past 10 minutes, remember? He lives for her praise. Kids do that, but this is a bit excessive. So, whenever she gets on him for something (example, it was the day after his bday, and he was headed to baseball practice for a couple hours before his bday shindig was to begin, and he wanted to skip practice and start the shindig early - she told him no, that he was already committed to go to practice - and he took it way too personally, just as described...), he slumps his shoulders forward, hangs his head and pouts, mumbles stuff like, "I'm a horrible kid..." What? Zero self-esteem, and I believe it's because he gets rewards all the time, even when he doesn't do anything - and very seldom are there repercussions when he screws up.

So, when I see him do REALLY well, I compliment him - but for anything less, I don't. His mom will always talk about his two best plays and gush about them, even if they weren't great plays.

Thing is, we were doing really great, but once we bought a house together (NICE house!), things have been getting less enjoyable for me because there's WAY too much going on for her kids, with too many kids sleeping over, and I know that, come summer time, it'll be unbelievable, and I didn't sign up for all that.

ESMOD's picture

I think you need to have a nice sit down talk with her about the home you share.

I think that it's perfectly reasonable for you to tell her that while you don't mind guests being over some.. it is getting excessive and it is preventing YOU from being able to enjoy your own home. Tell her you are getting to the point that sometimes you don't even want to be there for all the chaos.

So, even in the summer? No sleepovers or late visitors on a work night. During the school year, sleepovers should be limited to 1 or two a month. period. Friday or Sat nights only. He is free to have one or two kids over after school once or twice a week but they need to leave by 6 pm on weeknights so that the family can spend time with each other and so that homework is not being pushed aside. Beyond those guidelines, I would expect that exceptions need to be agreed upon by both adults in the household.. every.single.time.

Java_Junkie's picture

Absolutely, and thank you. It's really nice to discuss things like this and find out if I'm being an axx or not.

Friday was a tough one for me, and as I was talking to her, her daughter walked up holding her phone and said, "Mom, here..." as she thrust the phone to her. No "Scuse me, can I interrupt?" A pet peeve of mine... Fiancé picked up the phone and just like that, a sleepover was born - and in just a couple hours, we'd have another kid in the house. Damn...

An added problem with that is that my fiancé's daughter went to a birthday party from about 8 PM till about 10 PM (late, right?), and then we had to go pick her up. After the party, one of the girls who was at the party came back to our house for the sleepover. Not horrible, but still, I was just not in a good mood, and it sucks to have people coming over all the time like that.

So as we were on the road, I said it's a bummer because now I can't be myself. Her daughter said "What do you mean, you can't be yourself?" I said I had a bad day and was hurting about having to do tough love on my son, and I'm just not in the mood for having company. I wonder if my feelings ever occur to them.

Rags's picture

Having no experience as a SKid myself... I will have to accept your direct experience as a Skid. As a StepDad. Yep, you nailed it.

Except.... for the rare situation where the BioParent and StepParent are equity life partners and equity parents to any kids in their marital home regardless of kid biology. That type of situation can mitigate much of the challenge you presented.

What a great perspective on the challenges of the blended family adventure. Thanks for sharing.