You are here

Is This Abnormal

8590's picture

Question: I wasn't raised this way/around rabbits/a lot of animals so maybe I am just in the dark on this but it doesn't seem quite "right" or "healthy".

BM/SD live in a rural town and have about 30 rabbits at any given point. Now they "show" rabbits here and there, but these rabbits live also at times inside the home, on the porch/basement and yes, in the main dwelling. They sell them also but then get more. SD takes allergy medicine daily for the last 8 years, gee, can't imagine why. Is it normal to have this many in your home? Keep in mind I wasn't raised this way, so I have no clue what normal is re: this. All the SD9 talks about are rabbits breeding. Constantly talks about animals breeding. If you grow up on a farm, I would think ok...but this isn't a farm. I'm thinking WTH? I don't say anything as it isn't my place but is this normal?

8590's picture

Also forgot to mention, this is the SD whose BM doesn't bathe but 1 time a week if that, SD has no hygiene skills/knowledge, trying to teach her those but it doesn't "stick", etc.

8590's picture

Not litterbox, SD said they put blankets down all around the house for the rabbits to do their business on. From what I am told, it is filthy.

LikeMinded's picture

I don't know about where you live, Tommar, but in my state it's REALLY hard to get custody over filthy living conditions. My EX is a hoarder, and it breaks my heart that my DD has to go there, but I've talked to several lawyers and they've told me it would be really hard to get the courts to do anything about it. Sad

memyselfandi's picture

Yuuck!! I am a HUGE animal lover and wouldn't mind what you're talking about, BUT rabbits running free in the house should have a little box they go in and definitely NOT on blankets all over the house..eww!!

SugarSpice's picture

agree with this ^^. they should not be free to run around if not litter box trained.

8590's picture

Not sure why. Not that this in any way excuses how they live, but that is the "norm" in the area they live in. No one in that area is "clean" for the most part and I called the Township Solicitor to see if there was a residential ordinance in place for number of animals allowed and there is NONE!

LikeMinded's picture

There is no normal. I grew up in a rural area and some farmers had cats, ducks, whatever, wandering around the house. As a kid, I loved these homes... as a grownup I've had cats and dogs in my home. Now, I have NO PETS, and I'm loving it.

My DD has allergies too, and when she comes back from her grandma's, who makes her sleep in the guest bedroom, a.k.a. the cat room, she has asthma for two days.

So annoying.

8590's picture

I would think there would be an ordinance since it is a residential area, but apparently I am wrong. I do know that "filth" is a gray area with the Courts. It is sad to see this, I personally wouldn't have it in my home, but SD9 thinks this is absolutely normal and to have them pee and crap in the house on blankets is fine, and the constant talk of breeding and saying how this is her life, she loves to have them everywhere (keep in mind also she has no friends in school due to numerous reasons, and this has to be one of them I would think, the constant babbling about breeding)...it is just sad. We live the total opposite but it doesn't seem to "sink in" that living in filth is actually filthy.

LikeMinded's picture

There's a virus that causes cat hoarding, look it up on the web, it's pretty disturbing... people eventually start "liking" the smell of cat urine.

8590's picture

"Rural, redneck county/city" that sums up where SD/BM live. One thing to be rural, another thing to be filthy.

Authorities don't care either because they live in the same area and live the same way, at least where SD lives. That is their "norm" and it is appalling.

robin333's picture

You just saved my butt from lunch. Urine and feces on blankets spread on the floor. Omg, that's beyond disgusting.

I have 2 dogs, 3 cats- 2 indoor/outdoor and I (ok, not me exclusively but I make sure it's done) sweep and vacuum daily, sometimes twice. I am meticulous about the cat box and the dogs get groomed on a regular basis. I also have air purifiers in all the rooms. And still, I have pet dander and dust the dogs bring inside. All pets toilet appropriately.

Having that many pooping rabbits well, pooping and peeing inside the residence? Wtf, I doubt that have excrement in your home where you eat, sleep and live is normal anywhere.

8590's picture

Glad to see that I am not the only one thinking this way. I have thought this for years and when I checked finally because the constant babbling on about it and not having friends, etc. ....when I found out there is no ordinance and this is allowed, I thought omg.

8590's picture

It's not healthy but from everyone I talked to, including the Solicitor for the Township, there are no laws nor regulations/ordinances saying it is illegal or not permissible. Despite what we deem to be "healthy". I needed a legal basis to report it and I don't have one.

8590's picture

From what I am finding out in asking around at the Solicitor level for Townships, each Township is different. If this was done in my area, it would be grounds to call C&Y. Where SD lives, it is not. It is not cut and dry across the board unfortunately.

momjeans's picture

No, it's not normal.

I won't even step foot in my in-laws because they live in absolute squaller due to pets. They have 5 indoor Jack Russells and a blind cat. All of them defecate in the house - daily. She laughs when she talks about how she has to spot clean her carpet every night. It's gross and unhealthy - I don't even allow my children there anymore.

The smell knocks you back, I don't see how on earth people can live like this. It is utterly disgusting.

You must report.

memyselfandi's picture

Those poor rabbits need a litter box for sure. How gross for them to just poop and pee on a bunch of blankets??

Yuck!!