You are here

Advice to help adult stepkids to move out ?

eviltrophywife's picture

How did you and your partner manage to get stepkids out of either their BM's house or dad's.
Is a high school degree enough even in bad economy for stepkids to start out on their own ?
Do you help to find a job for stepkids? apartment? roommates?
Any experience with boomerang kids after college moving back home?
If you live in an expensive area...what did you do?

Stepkids in our case are living with BM. She for sure will ask for more NON-COURT ordered CS if kids don't move out after high school. I want to be prepared and to AVOID that situation.

THANKS in advance!

soverysad's picture

Just because BM asks for more CS because they don't move out doesn't mean your dh should give it to her. Regardless of the situation, at 18 they can support themselves in some respects and should be expected to at least work part-time and earn their keep regardless of where they live.

"A pessimist complains about the wind, an optimist counts on the wind changing, a realist adjusts his sails"

eviltrophywife's picture

haha...thx...lucky pick I guess on a very ...cynical... day for many reasons. What SH*T in real life does it take to turn me into the desperate advice-sseking google-maniac for questions like " Will I ever regret (deeply?)to go down the dating-a-divorced-dad-path?"
It's been almost 2 years since...and I am still in the game. So go tell?!