You are here

Bizarre behavior, who can understand?

Elizabeth's picture

BD 4 takes dance classes one day a week and has her first recital coming up. We were talking about it last night and SD15 got all snippy because she thought the recital had already happened. "Thanks for inviting me," she said sarcastically. OK, am I missing something? SD never comes to BD's class unless husband brings her along. She doesn't watch BD dance and has not come to either of the two classes where parents and families were encouraged to watch the kids.

Plus, and this is much bigger, SD has not come to a single one of BD's birthdays. In four years! She is always invited (I even send an invitation to her in the mail so it seems more official). She always has an excuse not to come.

So why does SD want to complain about the slight of not being invited to BD's dance recital? It hasn't happened yet, so husband told her the date, even though we both know she won't come. Any ideas what's going on here?

evilsm's picture

Sounds like she was trying to bait you. Perhaps for sympathy or to make you and DH feel guilty. My SD is a master at this, even if she really has no use for something if one of the other kids gets it she MUST have one. It's stupid but I think par for the course with blended families. On the other hand, with her making such a big deal about it I would be sure to let her know you plan for her to attend. Do you have to get tickets or anything in advance?

~Evil

If you want children to keep their feet on the ground, put some responsibility on their shoulders. ~Abigail Van Buren

Sita Tara's picture

This sounds like my SD to a tee. "I didn't want to come anyway, but don't slight me and not invite me!"

The baiting game drives me nuts!

“I never gave away anything without wishing I had kept it; nor kept it without wishing I had given it away.” ~Louise Brooks

ColorMeGone2's picture

And she does it because she knows daddy will swallow it every time, hook, line and sinker.

♥ Georgia, the un-stepmom ♥

"Good men don't just happen. They have to be created by us women." (from ROSEANNE)