You are here

this chick should replace dear abby...

bellacita's picture

i found this on msn.com under the heading
"why wont his ex just butt out already?" !!!!

http://lifestyle.msn.com/relationships/articlerb.aspx?cp-documentid=1740...

the lady was complaining that the ex expects to be invited to family functions bc she has a son w her hubby. thing is, the advice columnist actually sided w the stepmom this time!! woohoo!!!! Smile

sarahbernheart's picture

bout time someone spoke up for us!!

"Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without one."

JMC's picture

JamaicanMeCrazy
DISNEY LIED...THERE IS NO 'HAPPILY EVER AFTER'

for the hometeam!! It's about time someone stood up for all the SM's (and SD's too!)

Anon2009's picture

The thing about that Dear Abby piece, though, was that the wedding photograph of BM and SM's DH was in BM's home. So I don't think SM or her DH can force her to take it down. Maybe the DH could have talked about it to BM, though, and told her it makes him feel uncomfortable to see that picture every time he walks in her home.

But on THIS column, I agree 110%. I have checked out Dawn Miller's site for stepmom advice, and if I recall right, I think it said something to this effect about the SM's in-laws being friends with BM...they need to do it on their own time and not bring it up to SM or SM's DH. Was this a tough thing for the BM in this situation to accept- I'm sure it was. But this SM's DH probably doesn't go to any of BM's family's events. So therefore, she shouldn't go to any of her ex's family events unless it's something directly for her child, like the examples the columnist listed. As a SM, I am willing to make compromises and invite my in-laws, BM and her family to directly skid-related events like birthdays and graduations but it's usually at a bowling alley or somewhere else the SDs like to go. I will NOT have BM or her family in my house. Period. My in-laws don't care for BM or her family either and won't have any of them at their houses, but are willing to make nice for a few hours for the SDs' sakes. If they DID like BM or her family, my DH would set up certain boundaries like coming to SD-related-only events and if they want to hang out with BM or her lousy parents they must a) do so on their own time and 2) NOT MENTION IT TO US.