You are here

Collection Agency Question Does this sound weird??

Crazystepmom11's picture

SO started a new job last month and informed the collection agency with the updated information. BM is pissing and complaining she called the collection agency and they don't have SO updated information about the new job and she is not getting paid her child support payments.  SO gets paid every 2 weeks and last week the child support came out of his check for the first time. This is the first time SO changed jobs so we don't really know the process or how long it takes. Is it possible SO job is pulling his child support BUT has not sent it to the collection agency yet? I'm confused if the money is coming out of SO check why is the  collection agency telling BM they have no record of SO new job?  There is a good chance BM is lying just because she loves drama also. SO attitude is he called collection agency tell give them the updated info and the money is coming out of his check so hes done. I would like to hear others take on this.

susanm's picture

If the money came out of his check then it will eventually get to BM.  He changed jobs a month ago and gets paid every 2 weeks.  How soon did she expect that money would start flowing?  Before he earned it?  And if there is an arrearage or something from any gap in employment it will be taken out in the amount deemed appropriate by the order in place.  If you have told her that the money has been taken out and she needs to wait for the agency then that is all you can do.  It is not like she will be successful in dragging you to court saying you have done anything wrong when you can produce paystubs with deductions!

ESMOD's picture

If I were your DH.. I would call the agency and ask them for proof of payment to BM.. or find out when they will be paying it.  It's always possible that someone messed up.

Aniki-Moderator's picture

So your SO looked at his paycheck and sees the CS deduction? Then it's up to BM to contact the agency to learn when she will start receiving payments. Your SO canot make that determination. It is up to the AGENCY.

Crazystepmom11's picture

According to BM she did call the collection agency and they told her they had no record of his new employment. If the money was not being pulled I would think there could have been some mistake BUT can’t think of a reason why she would lie about this so that’s why I asked this question. If money was being pulled could there still be a mistake somewhere or does it just take time from the time it gets pulled from SO check till BM gets it

just-a-lurker's picture

I work in payroll.  The state I work in dictates that a company that has to withhold child support from a paycheck MUST remit it to the collection agency designated no later than 7 days after it is withheld.  If it was withheld from his paycheck, and the stubs show it, he needs to check with the employer so see if they sent the payment to the collection agency.  If they did, it's no longer his problem.

Dontfeedthetrolls's picture

He needs to check his end of everything but other than that she can contact the agency herself. I know in our case the site doesn’t even take payments out of the account until 5+ days after you set it up. I don’t know how long it takes to be dispersed to BM. What I do know is every month we can see what he paid into the account and that’s all that we care about. It’s not our job to ensure they give it to her and we have proof he’s paying.

Wrong Way Diva's picture

If the employer didn't take anything out of his check, he can pay the collection agency directly, so it credits to his account and he doesnt get behind.   Under no circumstances should he give her CASH.......

Exjuliemccoy's picture

It's not unusual for there to be some lag time when the garnishee changes jobs. Your SO should check with his payroll dept to ensure all is in order, and the rest is up to BM.

My DH's ex used to call screeching if c.s. was one day late. 

DH referred her to the support collection agency, and she would call them screeching and yelling at the service reps. Sometimes she went months without c.s. and then would receive a lump sum with no explanation for the delay. She claimed she once went eight months without c.s. despite it being garnished regularly from DH's check. That harpy called the agency so often that I wouldn't be surprised if they intentionally delayed c.s. as payback.

Thumper's picture

About your Judges disproval of parallel parenting. Some states have hopped on TOP of the parallel bandwagon. They discuss  it in states parenting guidlines.

Unless he orders DH to make on going contact with BM....keep doing what your doing. PP cuts down conflict.

CONFLICT means more lawyer hours.

Best interst for kids it so keep peace as much as possible with high conflict cases. IF that means low to zero contact except in true 911 emergencies...then so be it.

**Keep in mind always follow the court order**