You are here

Dreading the summer?

EatingMyResentment's picture

anyone else dreading summer break?

husband has custody of two teenagers. Usually they go to moms for the summer but it looks like favorite son is not going because he has “band camp”. Which trumps me giving birth and hoping for a teenager free house.

i am so depressed just thinking about it. 

Anyone else?

Dovina's picture

Your response says it all, you are looking forward to something. With some step families looking forward just never happens. See how free you are! Now you can offer experienced advice to the suffering Wink

SteppedOut's picture

Thank God we had the strength to do what was needed!

Ispofacto's picture

I'm confined to my room during the day because I don't have the stomach to be around SD14.  Summer is 10 weeks and she will spend 3 weeks with Voldemort.  So I'm grounded for 7 weeks.  Luckily I work nights and have to sleep part of the day, and I have a big tv with Netflix and Playstation in my room.  Netflix is a stepmom's best friend.  Oh, I also got myself a pass to the local waterpark, so I can go there for a couple hours every morning and tan.  

I just hate leaving the house unsupervised, SD has a reputation for being covertly vindictive, and my bedroom door only has one of those locks you can pop with a screwdriver.  I bought a new electronic keypad lock, but haven't installed it yet.

Four more summers, including this one.  DH has no idea what this does to me.  I think everyday of getting my own efficiency for weekdays.

tankh21's picture

DH has the skids for 30 days for his summer visitation. I love going to work because I get to get away from them. OSS is the one that I want to hide from.

secret's picture

I'm looking forward to it... I put mine to work. We're in the process of re-landscaping the back yard... we've done one side... now we're laying down gravel and stone dust to set down some pathways to go around the deck to all the staircases, around the pool, arranging patio stones further down the yard for a bistro style table and chairs, and up to the firepit area.

They're also going to be trimming the hedges, and breaking up all the branches and twigs into manageable pieces for the firepit - my oldest will also need to split logs for use in our fireplace in the winter.

DH is lucky that the teenagers are mine... hahaha

But if they were his, he'd be on their arse just as much. He's a Newfie, lives for the outdoors... grew up hunting and fishing etc... and expects everyone else to know how to survive... so I'm pretty sure if they were his, they'd be doing the same stuff.

I do involve SSstb5 in stuff to do when I boss my kids around... and I'm lucky that if SS tries to escape to be outside with dad, dad ships him back to me until I've specifically told dh that ss has been released lol

icanteven's picture

Totally dreading it. My kids are abroad with my sister, and then going to stay with my aunt for a few weeks afterward. This will take up a lot of their summer, and I was looking forward to some kidfree time. Alas, it was not to be. My husband somehow finagled his way into SEVEN WEEKS of visitation this year, and it's in such a way that the only days the stepkid is not with us are weekdays, and I'm completely mobbed at work, so it's not like I can just take a ton of those off either. He and I usually go on a vacation together without the kids in the summers, but that is not happening this year because the stepkid is here f'ing constantly, and he won't send him home to his mother where he belongs even though he knows this drives me ten shades of insane.

He actually had the nerve to say, "well, we could go to Disneyland and just take [stepson] with us." No, I will not have that! If I am going to that place, my kids are coming, too, and going on vacation with just the stepson and husband has got to be what hell is like if a place like that exists. I will not waste my paid days off on that ridiculous idea!

Summer cannot end fast enough for me. I'm glad my kids are having fun traveling and seeing relatives, but I think this whole summer visitation thing is bad.

horseygirl's picture

I get extremely anxious when I know SS15 is going to be at home alone, which only happens during the summer months. In fact, I'm tearing up at my desk thinking about it since the week starts over again on Friday. 

Gucci's picture

I’m a teacher, so I’m off in the summer. Which means watching my SS14 and SS10 while H works. I hate it. Especially on days my BC17 and 15 are with their BD and I would otherwise be alone. Like today. I have the boys and am resentful. SS10 loves me and is happy to hang out and is a good kid. 14 hates me and mouths off constantly. 

Areyou's picture

I have my own house. Skids stay with DH during the day most of the summer so I stay at my place when they’re with him then we reunite at 4pm when their mom picks them up. He also leaves them home alone a lot so that we can do things together during the day. I hardly ever have to see skids thank goodness 

Angelinfrustration's picture

As a stepmother and biological mom, Ive seen both sides of the "blended" family equation. Like most of us getting involved with a partner who has children, I was absolutely convinced that as long as we loved and respected each other, everything would be great. I knew I would be a part of his children's lives and I would have to prove that I cared about them too. I assumed my partner and I would always present a United front. It never occurred to me what would happen if this did not happen. I expected to encounter confrontation with the BM, but not my partner. It's the parent's responsibility to dictate how their children treat the stepparent. When that partner doesnt have our back, they do not see it as a license for the kids to treat the stepparent negatively. You wake up one morning and realize you have become powerless and your place within your own home has been relegated to a whipping post. It's a lonely and hurtful place to live. It's a place those lovely pamphlets dont tell you about. 

ThatOneMom's picture

In the past, my youngest stepdaughter (the only one still living at home) would come for one entire month during the summer and then later for about two weeks before school starts again.

This summer, for some reason, they decided to do one week on, one week off. I'm not normally anxious about her visits but this year has been crazy and a lot of stuff has been happening. Week to week just seems like chaos to me.

She also grows very fast and rarely brings appropriate clothing with her so I know I'll be doing lloooots of shopping for her this summer.