You are here

Equally Annoyed

Dogmom1321's picture

I get home from work today and SD10 is on the iPad of course. Sink is full of dirty dishes. I normally don't engage, but almost all of the mess is hers. Soggy cereal on the wrong side without the garbage disposal, dirty plates, etc. etc. 

Me: "Hey _____ come help me dry these. I'll wash then hand them to you to dry and put up." 

SD10: "Ugh but I only made a mess with the cereal! Why can't I just clean that up I guess?"

Me: 'It would be nice if you helped out around the house."

She proceeds to do the task, but complains the entire time. When she finishes, stomps off and says "You're welcome"

*eyeroll* 

I proceed with chores without asking for anything because honestly, I am annoyed just being around her. I turn on the afternoon news and grab the vaccuum. Then I hear "UGHHHHH"

Me: "what's wrong?"

SD10: "I just want to listen to the iPad but the TV is on now!"

Once again, just ignored. Would this annoy you too? Like I said, just her personality is incredibly annoying to be around. Any advice to make common areas more bearable?

DH is not much help with following through after. His response "_____ I asked you to clean up the cereal, didn't I?" But no consequences. Like I said, I normally would have let it go, but I was tired when I got off work and came home to a gross SD mess. 

Johnm0819's picture

My SD8 gets pouty when she is told to clean her pig pen of a room that has literally NEVER been clean and we have lived here since last October and SO has to bribe her to get her to attempt to do it. And her attempt is placing stuffed animals in a corner and getting distracted by shiny object she hasn't seen in months because of the mess. But don't wanna take time away from face changing apps now do we?

BethAnne's picture

I would have a conversation with her that you all need to contribute to the house and that the chores you do and work you do helps everyone in the house and how would she like it if you only did those things for yourself but didn't do things for her? Tell her she needs to cut the attitude or you will stop doing things for her. If that doesn't work on her then carry out your threat and stop doing things for her. 

I might have the same conversation wtih your husband with the same consequenes as he seems to also be under the impression that your household is one of individuals not a family that work together. 

tog redux's picture

It would annoy me that DH sat there and let his kid be annoying and make a mess, and then expected me to deal with it (and her), while he did ... what?

Left out mama's picture

If she refuses to clean up after herself... don't you clean up after her. Take the mess she made and dump it all in her room.

if she gets annoyed that people are doing things around her in the COMMAN areas... tell her to go to her room where nobody will bother her. 
she can sit in her personal dumpster and be left alone. 
stop doing anything for her until she figures out she is not that entitled. 

Rags's picture

Time to inform SO that he will provide the hairy eyeball oversight of SD's room cleaning efforts and if HE fails to ensure that her room is clean that the next time SD leaves to go back to mommy's place she will return to your place to a room devoid of any of her personal belongings.

Lather, rinse, repeat until both SO and SD gain clarity.

IMHO of course.