You are here

ex step kids calling you mom or daddy still

SweetMom's picture

Needing opinions. What do you and your spouse do when a ex step kid calls them daddy or you mom? Do you just sit there and let them continue to call you that? What's a good way In Going about it to both girls the right way so it doesn't blow up in your face. Do you think it will ever fade as they get older or absent? In our case, there is a 12 year old involved that is h bd and she refers to her half sister as being apart of our little family. This ex step girl has been total disrespectful to my husband, my son and myself. She has said things unforgivable and we allowed her into our life. The ex step kid of h only calls h
Dad and she refers to me as Mrs. ____. She started saying yes father to him like he fathered her from infant and he didn't. He only lived with her and her mom for 2 years. Since then she has had 2 other step daddies. She also calls her grandpaw daddy. It's very irritating because h gets very mad when my ex h nieces and nephews refer to me as aunt____. I do not talk to them at all. Is this something you would just leave Alone even though it made your ski. Crawl?

Last In Line's picture

Are you around the child enough that this is an issue? Seems like she shouldn't be seen much at all, just at exchanges and maybe some family functions. If it's just at those times, I'd let it go. If there's more contact than that, I'd be working on eliminating that contact.

Ninji's picture

I don't think there is anything you can do about it.

I have fought a similar fight. My SO's EXSkids weren't in his life for the first two years we were together. Then all of a sudden he wanted to have them every weekend like we have his bios. HUGE fight ensured. He kept saying he had four kids and I kept saying the man I've been dating has two. If I'm going to take care of 4 of your kids, two are gonna be mine.

EXSKids came over one weekend and it was such a disaster, it never happened again....But they are 16 & 18 now and STILL daddy--Not dad, daddy.

I have said to him it's weird that they still call him daddy but he got mad so I just leave it alone. As long as they aren't evading my home, they can call him whatever he wants.

Stepmom09's picture

Honestly, if DH ever split up I think SS would always call me mom. I don't see that changing ever. I have a friend whose Dad and SM split up she has always been close with SM. She still calls her SM mom and sees her regularly to her they are family

still learning's picture

Poor kid has gotta be confused. BM has likely taught her to call all of her step fathers "Father/Daddy." Then one day Daddy is no longer daddy. Is her bio father in the picture at all?

Monchichi's picture

^this^ we live it. Ex SS is just 11 years old & has had 4 dads, "step siblings" he still refers to as brother, now adopted we think by his current SF. Cries every time he sees my SO. Has had 3 sets of SGP.

Chucky the above less 1 father.

You have no idea how messed up these children are & how they cannot emotionally regulate let alone form bonds. Try have some empathy.