You are here

Exhausting Mother In Law

Smomof3's picture

My MIL is very manipulative, rude, and deceitful. She typically stirs things up as much as possible and makes outlandish statement. For example, she's told my nieces they dress like whores and are asking to be raped. She told me that the reason my husband and I have "Normal Marrital Squabbles" is because I'm fat. She's a piece of work. On Dec. 29th I decided to no long communicate with her unless absolutely necessary and it's making it hard on my husband.

What am I supposed to do? Let her talk to me like shit? She called me an alcoholic because I put on FB that we had wine with dinner a few nights over Xmas break and because I invited friends to a pub to see a band and announced that I had a designated driver. My first husband, who is deceased, was an alcoholic and died in a one card DD accident. I'm not much of a drinker but and certainly not the raging alcoholic that she claims I am. Also, she implied that my alcoholism lead to my husbands death. I'm sorry, but I didn't drink a drop the last three years we were married...i couldn't...it was crazy. Oh, and by the way...I have a two drink limit always. In my life I've never had more than two drinks on any particular occasion.

So basically, she called me an alcoholic and said my alcoholism contributed to my late husbands death. Bad, bad place for her to go. I've put up with alot over the past ten years and she crossed a line. Her belief is that if you have one drink your a booze hound. I told my husband he needed to put his mother in check. I never said anything disrespectful to her, I just quit talking to her. He discussed it with her, she said she did nothing wrong, refused to apologize.

Now months later she is bad mouthing me to my husband, shunning him because we went to my parents for Easter, etc. He's miserable and keeps saying I should be the bigger person. My stance is that someone needs to hold her accountable for her actions, which no one does. They all just ignore her narcissistic behavior and let her create drama in their lives. With an appology I would gladly forgive her, but I will no longer tolerate her abuse, planting seeds of doubt in my mind about my marriage, outlandish comments, etc.

So any input on what I should do? Do it just hold my ground or forgive the psycho bitch and just let it go? My husband is miserable because she's taking it out on him, therefore he's making me feel bad for choosing to stick up for myself.

Smomof3's picture

YEP,she's a religious nut. Her reading skills and vocabulary are not great. She probably reads at a 5th grade level, which most people do unfortuantely. However, she only uses KJV, not the NIV which should would probably be able to interpret better.

momto3's picture

I agree with Echo. If DH wants to have contact with her, then by all means tell him he can, but you don't have to listen to that. That's not being a bigger person if you do, that's being a open door for her verbal assaults. You married him, not his mother...

nothinforya's picture

Being the "bigger person" does not mean tolerating abuse. Tolerating abuse makes you a doormat.