You are here

family court and the military?

pissedoffinNC.'s picture

I hate base legal. They dont do sh*t for you!! They just look at you and say.."well I dont know.. we cant help you" WTF? I am just so sick of all this crap. We got papers from the court house in Ma. telling us that DH needs to be in court on the 29th of this month. My H's ex is being a freakin thorn in the side and sturring up crap again and like always trying to find a way to get more money.She wants us to pay for the little snoody pre school that she put her in that I guess costs up the wazzoo..( I did my homework and it states that the custodial parent is responsible for paying for the childcare and however much the childcare is its subtracted from their annual income before they do the worksheets for child support) she wants some of his bonus money..I just cant hardly deal with all these BS demands! We pay her CS.. and trust me its well over what we should be paying( supposedly the orders never got to Dept.of Revenue..hhhmmmm we dont pay randomly and dont give her more outside of what DOR takes out, they just never got the order that its to be lower).. not that we have a problem with it.. we left it that way just in case this ever happened the judge would say" well you are getting well more than what you should soooo???" you know? Its just frustrating when you need help, and the people that you are supposed to go to tell you in other words.. " we dont know, looks like your screwed buddy" I mean.. what are we supposed to do? Has anyone else had this problem? If so please do share with me on how you went about this.

ColorMeGone2's picture

"Base Legal" needs to get a new name. It needs to be called "Base Help For Filling Out Forms That Any Moron Should Be Able To Fill Out Alone Anyway." I don't know which base you're talking about, but we had bad experiences with Lejeune and New River. Don't waste your time. Get an attorney. No one from Base Legal will appear for you in court, anyway. All they can do is help you draft some of the paperwork for you if you want to file pro se. (But hey, they did ours wrong. I had to research and ended up re-doing everything myself.) Also, there are not a whole lot of actual lawyers working at Base Legal, either, and even if there are attorneys there, you can best your last dollar they don't/haven't specialized in family law. Mostly it's just paralegals. Some are good and knowledgeable. Some are very helpful. But... they are no substitute for retaining an attorney who specializes in your type of case and who can appear for you in court. If you need help with a will or something routine like that, they can usually help. For something as intricate as family law, custody and support in another state, just save yourself some aggravation and retain a lawyer. You'll end up doing it anyway, in the long run.

♥ Georgia, the un-stepmom ♥

"Good men don't just happen. They have to be created by us women." (from ROSEANNE)

pissedoffinNC.'s picture

thats what I was figuring, we were gonna go through New River because thats where we are stationed but I am just gonna find a cut throat lawyer and nail her ass to the ground.

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

ColorMeGone2's picture

Just make sure that whatever lawyer you retain, that lawyer is licensed to practice in that state and can appear for you in that court. You don't want to end up paying two lawyers. Someone with a military background or experience would be ideal. An NC lawyer can't do squat for you in another state. Also, I think he may be able to get some of his travel expenses to appear in court paid, so definitely check on that. And good luck!

♥ Georgia, the un-stepmom ♥

"Good men don't just happen. They have to be created by us women." (from ROSEANNE)

pissedoffinNC.'s picture

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

We were actually talking about it last night and I told him that he can go to Handscomb Air Base and mabe get some legal advise but I told him that he needs to go out in town and get someone that will work with him. The last lawyer that we got didnt do squat, and we paid her a lot of money too. But this time I plan on us doing it right.