You are here

FDH says I'm a jealous person esp around SD15

goincrazy.com's picture

I'm PISSED

His reasoning is because when they are sitting (cuddling) on the couch together or her legs are laying over his lap it makes me feel uncomfortable so I don't sit in there with them. I think it's wierd. (This hasn't happened in awhile so I'm not sure what made him bring this up)

SD15 goes out of her way to exclude me when she's around- she only talks to her dad, looks at her dad during conversation and asks him to rub her legs and feet or back or whatever.

Sorry at 15, it creeps me out. FDH says it's bc my dad was never affectionate towards me which is true, but my gut instinct tells me it's not normal father daughter behavior and I'm not going to sit by myself on the other couch and watch it.

Now I'm super jealous of them two together and "he's not the only one who see's it" ??????????

He wouldn't tell me who agree's with him.

I'm frustrated, bc I look like a jealous bitch and I straight told him I find it gross and creep and I don't want to sit and watch him rub on her- he shut up real quick but it still bothers me that he thinks I'm just jealous.....

had to get that out

Starla's picture

EEEW! I don't think that this behavior of his is appropriate one bit. For SD its a head game and DH is eating up the attention. Wish he knew what messages he is sending her by doing this.

Hugs to you!!!

misSTEP's picture

Maybe you could find some kind of parenting expert who would be able to get it through daddy's thick skull that he is setting up his daughter to have inappropriate boundaries...not only with him but with every other guy in the world.

Anne Boleyn's picture

I've had the same problem. I wasn't accused of being jealous as I've never said a word to FDH about it. But I totally get creeped out by how SD11 is with him in public. I blogged about it last weekend. It's very uncomfortable.

kathc's picture

I think you need to let him pull that shit in front of some friends who aren't afraid to call him out on how creepy it looks!!!

RedWingsFan's picture

This truly does drive home a point!

I was snapping photos of DH and SD14 at the first hockey game I took them to. SD (then 12) was all over DH, holding his hand, fingers interlaced, head on his shoulder, sitting on his lap, cuddling. During a HOCKEY GAME! I mean, come on.

They were even worse at home. Laying on the floor together, spooning, his arm draped over her body, fingers interlaced...her sitting on his lap at the dinner table, constantly following him from room to room, even to the bathroom!

Mini wife syndrome at it's best!

But, when DH happened to see the photos I'd taken of them it's like a lightbulb went off in his head! He said, "Wow, I had NO idea how that may look to the outside world. It looks like my daughter is IN LOVE with me. Like we're a strange COUPLE". He was skeeved out!

Willow2010's picture

He wouldn't tell me who agree's with him.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
What....is he 12 years old?

I usually think that most SP's get to freaked out to quickly about some of this kind of stuff (me included) ...but yea...a 15 year old should not cuddle with anyone really.

goincrazy.com's picture

Exactly, she has a 17 year old boyfriend and I'm pretty sure they are havin sex since she is on BC.......

I brought that up too!

Jsmom's picture

SD was this way with DH. I made sevral comments that it looked like a pedo and that was enough to make it stop....

goincrazy.com's picture

I'm familiar with your posts and your opinions on things. You are entitled to that as I am mine. They have been touchy feely in a way that makes me uncomfortable, that doesn't make me jealous.

When something creeps me out that equals jealousy???? Don't drive your point home indicating that any response to your post from me is an act of being defensive or in denial. She's almost 16, not 5.

We are in premarital counseling and deal with all of these issues. Sd15 has been decent the past few times she's been over, I just personally don' want FDH rubbing on me and touching me when he does the same with his teenage daughter. There's a boundary when you get to a certain age. I understand your point and I agree when they are a bit younger it may be more appropriate? Definitely not at her age

RedWingsFan's picture

How is it then that DH said he was grossed out by the pictures I took of SD14 all over him at the hockey game?

Didn't have anything to do with MY jealousy...

goincrazy.com's picture

BEcause it's normal to show a YOUNG child more physical affection, there's nothing wrong with showing your teenage daughter you love her and giving some affection but as the child get's older some types of of physical affection usually change....

not2sureimsaneanymore's picture

She is not saying it's right or un-creepy, she made an observation about where the feeling comes from. Erk, not in the best way that's for sure but still...

Anne Boleyn's picture

There is appropriate affection and inappropriate affection. People tend to know which is which. I disagree that only SMs really ever feel this. My best friend has a teenage son (I also raised one myself). Her son was still coming up, sitting on her lap, draping himself all over her while we were talking when he was WAY to big and old for that. It was creepy to watch that and felt like a control thing at a certain point. And this was long before I was in a SM role. I told her it was a little too much for his age and she got it. It stopped. She still has approrpiate affection with her son now.

There is a time when the child should be "off the lap". And we all know when we see that time has passed.

RedWingsFan's picture

^^^^Yes, the control thing hits the nail on the head. I fully believe it was SD's way of controlling her father, as well as staking her claim to him...because he said before he met me, she wasn't so clingy and needy.

Once he started taking back control of his life (she literally told him what he could and could not do in the beginning of our relationship and he was guilty daddy), she turned on the neediness and clinginess that much more. Once he saw those pics I took of the two of them at the hockey game though, he realized that she wasn't his little princess anymore and it just creeped him out!

Anne Boleyn's picture

My SD mainly does this when we are in public. At home she's on the computer so no time for that.

Tuff Noogies's picture

"she is not his wife. And he will never give her the same consideration/ respect/ authority/ interaction that he gives to me."

here's the difference - it was not in OP's mind that she was making her SD out to be a rival. here she was witnessing on many occasions her DH actually giving his 15 y.o the same interaction as a wife. And it made her disgusted.

ETA - not the SD creating rivalry either; is DH's fault for not setting proper parental boundaries, AND for not respecting his own wife enough when she requests a certain behavior stop in what is also *her* own home.

Jsmom's picture

Sueu you are way off. This is creepy no matter how you look at it. I can't imagine having done anything like that with my dad and we have a very close relationship. This girl is 15 and that is too old to be hanging all over your father. It is not common and it is not normal. Just because you say it is doesn't make it so.

To the OP. Make him feel like what he is doing is gross and how others would see it and I guarantee it will stop. I had to tell SD that we had sex in our bed and that got her to get the hell out of my bedroom.

Oh I don't know about that... my mom told us several times over the transition period that "now that you and your sister are growig up, there are certain things you cannot do anymore... like sit on your dad's lap or keep the door open while you change or walk around in your pajamas anymore."

We're traditional like that though.

Reminds me of my psychology professor who said, he once sat in a restaurant and he overhears some people say "oh, my son's going through the oedipus period and he's discovering his sexuality and competing with me" and my professor said "Ew. I don't care how progressive these parents think they are, but you want to mess up your kid? Talking about his sexuality towards his mother is a sure fire way. they think it's cute. No, it's just creepy."

Actually, I think he was making reference to the fact that the parents "think" this way about their child is creepy in itself. But that the talking about it will mess the child up. Sexualizing children was his point. I think, anyway, as I haven't been in that class in forever.

goincrazy.com's picture

Actually you are wrong, She used to sleep in his bed sometimes until she was 13 (she was "scared" bullshit) and her mother thought it was inappropriate as well........

goincrazy.com's picture

I dont have to justify anything.

YOU said "The average mother would not find anything to complain about or state those kinds of responses concerning her daughter and her daughter's father. In the vast majority of cases, it's only SMs and mothers who are also a SM or who become a SM that these feelings and sentiments are expressed."

Her mother does/did find it inappropriate AND I never said anything about having sex with her father!!! :?

Where did that come from? Thats just sick

I think it depends on how the family was raised... some are more huggy than others.

In my frame of reference, since this is how I was raised, a father and daughter, upon the daughter getting olde than 5, no longer helped her dress, or had her sit in his lap, or anything of the sort. So for me, it would be considered creepy, TO ME. My parents are still married.

However, I had the liberty of seeing a mother hug her son (older brother of a friend) who was 24 at the time, from the back, around the chest, and rock back and forth, which I would view as something reserved for a romantic interest. The family is intact, and very happy at that. Of course, whatever romantic interest I had in him at the time flew out the window because it just odded me out. Hell if I want to compete with a mother like that... would he see me as his mother if I did that to him? Worse, would he get turned on?

So I can see where seue is coming from, as you view it as something sexual, whereas he does not. I don't find it appropriate, just as you don't, while unfortunately your partner does. It stems from a more... primal jealousy, but that is the emotion that is showing up: you believe it is an action shared only with a lover, which is you, but he is showing it to another person when you do not believe it should be. That is pretty much what "jealousy" is. We think of it in a negative connotation of being petty or selfish, but at the heart of it, it is unhappiness caused by having something you believe should be yours alone, given to someone or something else. Unfortunately sometimes seue can be blunt... but I can see why she defines it as such.

Anyway, regardless, this means there needs to be a compromise, and your opinions need to be heard. If one person is uncomfortable with something, it is up to both partners to come up with a solution that is okay with both parties.

By the way, (I am female) I used to kiss my mom on the lips until I reached middle school (12 years old) until I realized it was something reserved for a boyfriend or girlfriend. After revealing that to DH, he also explained he used to kiss his DAD on the lips until he was about 12 as well. I'm sure it made some people uncomfortable...

Anyway, communication and compromise... that's the key. And if that fails, do what the other poster said about night time wood, lol, most creative thing I've seen lately.

Tuff Noogies's picture

communication and compromise - amen!
i'll also add respect and consideration in there too

Tuff Noogies's picture

dub

hismineandours's picture

I agree that the other person that sees your jealousy is your sd! Duh!

I dont care what name you want to slap on however you are feeling-it is not appropriate. I dont feel it is appropriate for intact families, stepfamilies, or any family. I didnt cuddle, spoon with my dad at 15. My girls who are 15 and almost 11 do not cuddle or spoon with dh. Dh did rub my dd's feet last night-as she was injured and in pain and upset and asked. So he did. With her socks on. Not something he'd normally do or something that she would normally ask for.

It's called boundaries. We all need them. They are important. And I would be totally skeeved out witnessing a scene like you described between any teen girl and her dad. It would have nothing to do with jealousy.

Jsmom's picture

My mother would have been all over my sisters or I if we had acted this way with our father and we were an intact family at that point...Any mother would have issues with this. It doesn't have to be a SM to be jealous to have a problem with a SD acting like her fathers mistress.

Tuff Noogies's picture

different families have different comfort levels- that's as far as i'll go with my opinion of her SD's behavior (i've commented before on this subject, so some of you do know where i stand)

what bothers me most about this, is that DH is not being considerate of his own wife! it's her home too, she's entitled to have some guidelines regarding certain behavior.

asking DH to curtail the lap sitting and feet-in-the-lap massages does not end all contact and affection between them. she asked regarding specific behaviors, and i'm sure DH is capable of figuring out other ways to show affection to his daughter that also show respect to his wife's wishes...

goincrazy.com's picture

I also stated nothing was wrong with that type of affection bc it's NORMAL and appropriate

Tuff Noogies's picture

Sue - i was not getting into the merits or validity of either side's argument of appropriateness. Her DH is allowing certain behaviors (not the showing of affection altogether, just certain behaviors) that OP has requested not to happen around her. regardless of whether the type of affection he was showing is or is not OK is not the point i was going for. neither was any discussion of sexual rivalry.

plain and simple in my book he is disrespecting his own wife, his own life partner, the other adult in the household who is ALSO in a position of guideline-setting within that household. for a marriage to work, there must be compromise from BOTH sides. it doesnt sound like he's compromising at all. she's not drawing a line in the sand either regarding any and all affection between them, just certain specific behaviors. there's no reason he cannot be reasonable, consider her request without getting all accusatory, and maybe find some OTHER behaviors that fill his need while not making his wife uncomfortable. he's the head of the house, one of his main concerns should be the emotional health of his life partner...

goincrazy.com's picture

I agree it's is about being rivals- SD15 will do any and everything to get attention and affection from her dad, including suicide threats, taking sleeping pills and threatening to hurt herself with a knife. But she's fine and has no issues at moms house?
They communicate and are in family therapy together working on SD's manipulation. She feels threatened that dad has a fiance and once she figured out I wasn't going anywhere her threats got more serious to get dads attention. Her psychiatrist called her a master manipulator!
I'm not trying to get off topic and there is a lot of history that hasn't been posting but yes, SD15 is 100% jealous and see's ME as her rival bc I sleep in dads bed and we sit by eachother at a restaurant and I get his affection more than her etc.

lonlyconfusedguy's picture

You have every single right to be concerned, when I brought up the fact that "Dear girlfriend, maybe your ex husband has no right to show up every single morning because you guys are divorced already." I got the same attitude, "You are insecure, you are just jealous."

I don't know what am I jealous about. Jealous of a man who cheated on her and emotionally abused her? Jealous of a man who looks like an overweight, miserable bully goes through midlife crisis?

It takes me 2 full days to figure out I am not the problem, she is.

goincrazy.com's picture

yea, I understand everyone is entitled to their opinion but some like to judge. Thats fine, I KNOW I do not see SD15 as a sexual rival! SD15 has ALOT of issues and this is just one of them. I was very open and talked to DH about my feelings when it first happened. He has since respected my feelings, I think HE called me jealous bc I made him feel gross and uncomfortable!!!!

He also has a SD21- I have NEVER once felt uncomfortable around them or have had an issue with their affection for eachother bc its NORMAL!!!! a hug, kiss on the cheek etc. SD15 crosses the boundary intentionally bc she was the miniwife before he started dating me.

SD21 called her on it and said you just don't like goincrazy bc you can't sleep in dads bed anymore!!! :jawdrop:

People like to play the jealousy card to justify their behavior. Trust your instinct and make a right decision. I don't know what are you suppose to be doing at this moment, google "proper behavior between a father and a teenage daughter", download it, print it out and show it to your husband. He probably will set some boundaries with his daughter after realizing how ridiculous he and his daughter appear to be. good luck to you.

goincrazy.com's picture

Thanks Smile

goincrazy.com's picture

Usually her legs too, wearing short track shorts.

@ sueu But since I described what she wears when she asks for leg rubs that must really make me jealous bc I pay attention right?????

bi's picture

well you all know...women who aren't jealous wouldn't have any problem watching a father and daughter make out. if that bothers you, you are the one with the problem, you jealous ass! :sick:

people can think incest is ok if they want to, but the fact that some of us disagree sure as hell doesn't have anything to do with jealousy. i think it's sick no matter who it is, not just if it were fdh and sd. so am i jealous of complete strangers because i find that kind of behavior sickening? oooookkkkaaayyyy......

NO

moz15's picture

I have a similar situation.........my SD10.5 and SS12.5 are both extremely affectionate with their dad- my husband- and their is nothing wrong with being affectionate.I just feel there needs to be limitations.

Is it just me or is it odd that they both have to be on his lap all the time?? They even lay on his chest whenever they can.......one on each side. My DH will cradle them in his lap anytime he can......even in public. I see a lot of you saying how you are totally bothered by your DH showing you the same affection as he does with his kids. I have that same issue. I don't particularly want to lay on my DH's bare chest after the skids have just been doing the same thing and DH would rub my back or head like he does the skids. I have two kids of my own 12 year old boy and 9 year old girl and they do not act this way at all. We have our affectionate moments but we have boundaries and not to mention my 12yo son does not want to lay on my chest or sit in my lap.

Glad to know that I am not alone with this..............I have been seeing a therapist trying to help me move beyond this and she also says how unhealthy this is for the skids.

lostinbrazil's picture

His behavior is totally gross I would NOT be okay with that whether it was my daughter or step daughter. Even if it was a friends daughter with her father I would definitely not want to be in the same room with them and I would tell my own friend that its not normal. SD15 obviously knows what she is doing, I mean when I was 15 I had a serious boyfriend, had sex, owned my own car, worked and knew a lot about the world. With this day and age and kids growing up even faster than ever, I find it very hard to believe she is just being affectionate.
In addition to taking pics and showing FDH after the fact to prove the pedofile factor, I would also use the fact the SD21 is on your side. It is on FDH to stop what he is doing and make better boundaries with his daughter so he doesnt contribute to messing her up even more in the head than she already is!

One more thought: if the behavior is normal parent/child affection then ask your FDH if he would do the same things to SD15 is she was a boy!

goincrazy.com's picture

I actually asked him to put himself in my shoes and asked him if i had a 15 year old son doing the EXACT same thing, would it make him feel uncomfortable and would he think it's inappropriate????

He said YES!!!! But "it's different" BC boys are different than girls............ :?

ctnmom's picture

OK- I'm the mom in a nuclear family, SS36 is actually biologically my DH's nephew as some of you know. This behavior is gross and inappropriate. Goin is not jealous she is horrified. Goin, is there any posssible way you could talk to her BM about this? She needs to hear from another woman that she'll listen to how weird and sick this is. Your DH is an idiot if he doesn't nip it in the bud, and it sets off bells for me everytime I read a post like this because it's SEXUALLY INAPPRORIATE BEHAVIOR, and parent, stepparent or whoever are the stewards of these kids and are responsible for raising them not completely fucked up. The reason I mention about my nuclear family sometimes is because I think it gives a different "non-step" as it were, perspective. My 2 DD's have never hung all over thier father, ever. They were clingy with me when they were little (momma's girls), but as they grew that was less and less frequent. I never thought about it much it just kinda faded as they grew into young ladies. Sue, you have a knack for twisting around a post to be unflattering and unhelpful to the writer. It's a special gift.

goincrazy.com's picture

Just to clarify I was responding to lostandconfusedguy (something like that) when he said people accused him of being insecure and jealous about his post the other day about the EX coming every morning to his girlfriends house. Some people do come on here and judge and I wasn't talking about you, nor am I angry or upset about your opinion. I don't agree with how you anaylze my situation but thats just your opinion.

Also, I don't see where I have come off as extremely aggressive?????

AND I also said this hasn't happened in awhile, I posted when it happened- FDH brought up the jealousy thing last night- this is definitely not a regular thing

goincrazy.com's picture

I said OMG bc you kept repeating the same thing after I said I didn't feel that way. I don't find that really aggressive. Anyway thanks for responding, Thats why the thread is here- different people, different opinions. Its all good. No offense taken

dacejk60's picture

When we first got together, SD13 would be all of DF if she felt I was getting too much attention. It was like she'd come out, piss on her tree and leave. It was creepy then, and it's creepy now (and she does it a lot less than she used too). My BS comes to get a hug from me now and again but he doesn't hang on me, like tooo long of a hug. Anyway, I guess I've no real complaint in that area as the older she gets, the less this occurs. If it was pronounced at 15 I'd be totally skeeved. Even normal affection as my DF and SD have is kind of creepy to me and I can assure you I am not one bit jealous...wonder why I find it so icky then? I think it does have something to do with what I perceive as the manipulation involved. Like how can you so often talk to that man disrespectfully and then come get a hug? ewww

oncechoosetosmile's picture

Interesting thread.
I have two teenage kids myself, my daughter us 17 and my son is 13.My daughter gives her BD, SO or me sometimes a nice hug, or to tease me she will sit on my lap for fun until I throw her off.She doesn't do that with her dad .BS 13 still wants a quick cuddle or hug at times but would find it really uncool to be too close for too long.And I would be the same although I miss him being little and cuddly.
What you describe here is obviously far too much and a display of mini-wife behaviour.If the poster is jealous or not is really not the point, Sue- it is the fact that" her place" as his partner is already taken when SD is around.I find that totally disturbing and even more that DH defends himself and puts the blame on his real wife instead of changing it.
My SD was only little (she is now 8 ) when I had those mini wife displays here in my house.They didn't leave any emotional or physical space for me as the adult.I felt not only jealous but also excluded and in hindsight all those feelings were validated.I came to a point that I told SO if he wants an adult spouse partner he needs to stop treating his child like one and create some space.And that included calling us the same pet names, allowing her to interfere and interrupt every conversation etc...the list is long.Most of the time things are in balance now, SD is still all "I, I I" and spoiled but it has been much better- mostly SO ensures that I am the lady and his spouse in the house and the kids are kids- very much loved , but little people , not adults.See, dear poster, the one to blame is your DH not SD who gets away wit her cheeky behaviour and most certainly not you or your feelings.

goincrazy.com's picture

I agree and I'm not putting all the blame on SD but she is manipulative and she does know what she is doing. I blamed FDH as well for not creating boundaries. The first time this happened I talked to FDH about it and it hasn't happened since. The topic came up yesterday abt the jealousy. I think he says I'm jealous bc I made him feel like he was creepy and gross for being that touchy feely with his TEENAGE daughter- he in response thinks I'm just jealous that she is getting the attention and not me......

I"d also like to note that not only did I leave when they acted that way together, I DO believe it's important for them two to be alone together without me being right there. SD see's me as a threat so I removed myself from the situation- I didn't have to look at them and she got her daddy to herself

RedWingsFan's picture

^^^This. I think just because the OP is the SM in this situation, doesn't necessarily make her jealous of her DH's and SD's behavior at all.

oldone's picture

Honestly - call it jealousy call it anger - call it any damn thing you want to call it.

It is still TOTALLY INAPPROPRIATE for a teen (a sexually active one at that) to be sexually touched by an older man. And lap dances are sexual.

Let's just assume that the SM does not even exist. IT IS STILL WRONG. I don't know why some (actually I think there's only one) think that this behavior is normal.

RedWingsFan's picture

^^^THANK YOU Oldone!

I agree 100%. In our situation, it wasn't MY jealousy at all, because I'm not a jealous person. If I were, DH and I wouldn't be doing anywhere near half of the things we do!

HE was the one who saw photos of the way SD draped herself all over him, hugging, cuddling, holding his hand fingers interlaced, touching his face and sitting on his lap and decided that HE was grossed out by the way they looked together.

So yeah, call it whatever anyone wants to label it, a teenager behaving that way with their parent is just NOT healthy! (I'm not even being gender specific because I'd be equally as grossed out if I saw a teenage boy behaving that way with his mother).

I most certainly didn't act like that with my dad nor my brother with my mom and we grew up in a very loving, affectionate family structure.

goincrazy.com's picture

Thank you, thats exactly why I DON'T feel like I'm being jealous. I think it's gross and inappropriate for any girl or boy at that age to be that affectionate with ANY adult man- father, grandfather, uncle older brother ETC.

There's a boundary when you get that age on how affectionate and physical you should be at that age.