You are here

How do I stop myself losing it everytime she comes back

numb87's picture

We have my stepdaughter full time. But she spends the holidays at her bio mums. It's an amazing time where I feel like my old self again. I even love my partner more. But the thing is everytime she goes away, when she comes back I'm on the verge of a nervous breakdown. And it gets worse everytime. The anxiety of when she'll show up and knowing I'm facing reality of returning to being unhappy most of the time. It's like the time away from her just reinforces how unhappy I am day to day. And now I'm acting like a real tool. I said hello and gave her a hug when she arrived. But I have literally been in my bedroom for 6 hours. I ate my dinner in here. I've been calling my parents and siblings just checking in, using any excuse to not leave the room. I just won't move. My partner can obviously see something is up. I'm not okay and I have to look after her tomorrow because my partner is working and I work remotely and i can't even bare to look her in the eye. 

I don't normally act like this. I don't know what's wrong with me. I've just had enough and I don't know what to do. I know it sounds strange but I had to stop working as soon as she came home (I work remotely). I just couldn't focus and I felt so insane. I just had to take sick leave. 

shamds's picture

It's unacceptable i'm not even told off when adult ss is coming to our home when back from university because its such a miserable time. One time his friend came over and they stayed at our home all day doing nothing, just sat on the sofa playing on their iphones.

i felt like my private space had been invaded by outsiders.

eventually my husband would text me from work to let me know ss was coming back today etc and i would usually get chores done early as he tended to come back fridays mostly and i'd go to bed early with our 2 young kids early as our rooms are upstairs. 

the moment ss arrives home the mood/vibe is instantly toxic, negative and depressing. You just don't want to be around him. My kids are always looking at who this stranger is. My kids are 4 & 5, they di not recognize sd26, ss23 and sd16 as their siblings, they are complete strangers who fake they are siblings of the yr in front of family.

eventually i told hubby I wouldn't remain in our marital home with this miserable toxic little shit son of his. Hubby bought a separate home in my country as we intended to send our kids to school there whilst my husband is working o/seas in his essential job on contract for several more yrs.

this home is in my name only because sd's had ended contact 5+ yrs and the day eldest sd who was 22 re-initiated contact demands daddy to transfer a home solely into skids name because he owes their mum in the divorce. Hubby bought this home after divorce with his own money.

I wasn't gonna sit by and let them walk all over him and he not protect us beforehand incase something happens. No skid will ever enter my home ever again.

ss was already told by his dad 3 years ago how he burned all bridges purely out of him being an unnecessary disrespectful little shit. He even admitted his own mum abandoned him, his own full sisters are controlled by bio mum and have basically no relationship with him and therefore in future for long holidays religious holidays etc, hubby intended to spend them with us and he couldn't bring ss along with all his toxic negativity along, nobody wants that around.

my husband told him he did this to himself and ignored the fact that when hubby is no longer around, he will have no one, he won't have his mum, sisters and he won't have us and hubby explained that me and our 2 kids are really the only positive respectful sane people in the family and ss chose to treat us like shit.

When my husband dies, i will not maintain any relationship with my skids and neither will my kids with hubby.

tog redux's picture

You can't live like this. What about it makes you so unhappy? Can anything be changed about your situation?

numb87's picture

I just feel like my life has been taken over. And I don't feel like myself anymore

ESMOD's picture

She is an 8 yo child that lives in your home full time (with some brief trips to mom's).  Honestly, it seems like a very sad situation for everyone.  Imagine being 8 and living with an adult that is doing her best to ignore you.  Imagine being an adult that is so averse to someone who lives in their home that they hide in their room.

I'm not saying you have to be MOTY to this child.. but it doesn't seem fair to anyone to live in this environment... 

There is a decade or more of this girl living in your home... honestly, that is too long to just brush off and hold your breath.. it seems like this is just not a workable life for anyone.  I can imagine over time that your SO will resent your refusal to have anything to do with his child.  I'm not saying it's your responsibility to parent his child.. make her breakfast or support her.. but living like she is a ghost in your home seems not the best option either... 

numb87's picture

Yes I know that. I guess that's why I am asking for advice. 

Winterglow's picture

OP, in your bio you say that she's a troubled child - can you elaborate on that so we can get a better idea of the situation?

hereiam's picture

This ^^^   I can't find anywhere in past posts exactly how she's "troubled" or why she's a "nightmare", other than she likes to watch TV a lot.

numb87's picture

I haven't gone into much detail because it is her business and I feel bad airing a child's hardest moments on here. I know she'll never find them but it's her life and I don't want to accidentally identify her and I'd rather focus on me and my feelings because I don't want to become a player in her sad story. Because ultimately that's what I'm here for. To try and see if I can make this work somehow. My step daughter definitely needs counselling. I have suggested it. But it falls on deaf ears. I am seeking professional help for myself in the mean time.

numb87's picture

I actually hinted at the problems that could impact her behaviour:

"It's not her fault. Court battles, neglect, abuse etc have all had an impact on her."

But since that doesn't seem to be enough for people, here is some of the things she's done to me:

-spat in my face when I told her 5 cookies was enough

-kicked me in the vagina when she was having a tantrum(not even joking)

-kicked me when I was sitting on the sofa with her and her dad. 

-told her mum all I do is drink wine cause she saw me drink 2 glasses of wine at a family event once (I don't drink except for christmas)

-whenever i walk into the room or get into the car she says something stinks and tells me I stink. Because it happens so much I did check it out and she's just saying it to try and hurt me. She gets told off in the moment but no punishment. So 3-4 times a day I get told I stink. 

-tells me I'm fat and always grabs my underwear off the line when we have a little playdate and makes fun of how big my underwear is to her friends and family. I'm a size 6. No one does anything.

-pushed me off the couch. 

-purposefully urinated in my bathwater after my husband ran me a bath after a long day. Like as I walked in was standing on top of the bath and pissing. 

-whenever I'm in the car she quietly pulls my hair from the back seat. I tell her off and she stops for a few weeks but then she starts again. 

This is just the stuff on the top of my head. I hope that's enough to satisfy you that this is actually extremely hard. But I have more.

-

Rumplestiltskin's picture

Those things do sound bad. You don't have to defend yourself. You wouldn't be on this site if things weren't bad. No way in hell should you be the primary caregiver of this child. Your DH needs to step up, parent, amd get her some therapy. 

ESMOD's picture

Your partner is a poor parent. period. and they are not acting like a loving partner here.

THEY are the problem.  They are not correcting.. they are not parenting.. they are not defending you against these attacks.  

I know it seems like things are perfect when the child isn't around.. but keep in mind that when given the chance to protect you.. they don't.  They won't even help their own child via therapy... they are not behaving like a good and loving partner to you.

that is something you need to unpack with them.. because there is no way I would continue to live with this full time.

love is NOT enough.

numb87's picture

Her bio mum is quite a terrible person. Apart from drugs, abuse and neglect, she's also a horrible liar and tells the child lies about I dunno life in general. It's like she goes there and is filled with poison and everytime she comes back it takes weeks to get her happy and right again. The court ordered physcholgist report showed this but the bio mum just keeps getting all the chances in the world.

BethAnne's picture

Transition times can be tough for everyone. If these feelings and behaviors continue beyond the first week or so of her return then I think it would probably be wise to talk to a therapist about how you feel. Being able to talk to a thrid party may help you to work out where these feelings are coming from. Is it because your husband is a poor parent and lets his daughter act poorly towards you, is it because your husband changes his mood/behaviors when sd is around, or is it because you feel displaced in your own home, or is it because you struggle to let go of past missdeeds that sd did??..there are many other reasons why you may be feeling this way (and all of them valid).

If you want to stay in this relationship then I think it is important to work out the route cause(s) of your feelings and find ways to address or minimize them. 

(A big hint is that most of us on here find that the route causes of the issues ultimately lie with our partner and their parenting style and are rarely really about the child themselves.)

0o00o000o00o0's picture

I don't have any advice to offer. I'm in a similar situation and am miserable when skids are about to come back (we have them every other week). It's not that they hate me or treat me badly. But I can't help but to feel invaded by intruders. There is so much drama when they are here. SS7 has multiple temper tantrums a day (hysterical loud crying, screaming, stamping his feet), is bossy, backtalks aggressively, and keeps running in the house kicking balls, climbing, etc. SD9 is loud, likes to scream and make annoying noises all the time for no reason, signs, talks non stop and is intrusive. They are both so awfully entitled. They just annoy and exhaust me so much. I'm spending more and more time in my room to have some peace and (partial) quiet.

numb87's picture

Thank you for understanding. I really don't want to be a bad person. I'm just at the end of my tether. 

Mostthanklessjobever's picture

I lived like this for 10 years.  It's absolute hell.  I lived in my bedroom most of the time.  

Rumplestiltskin's picture

Can your DH do the parenting? When he's at work, can he arrange for someone to watch her? If his expectation is that you are a replacement mom, but that isn't working for you, you should tell him. It's not fair for him to expect you to be the babysitter while also working from home. 

numb87's picture

I really have tried to advocate for myself. I've been respectful. I've taken advice on here and also professionally. But it just keeps falling on me. He says he understands but there's just no follow through. 

Loxy's picture

I think the way you are feeling is perfectly valid and understandable, she sounds like a very difficult child.

You have mentioned several times that you try to talk to DH about it but nothing changes. I think you know that the real issue is DH, who refuses to parent, and that's not likely to change.

So, what it comes down to is are you prepared to accept this situation for another decade or more? You don't have kids of your own with this man so I think you should cut your losses now and get out. Find a partner who has your back because your DH definitely doesn't. 

Mommymode1985's picture

A real quick way to get to your hubby to get a clue is to disengage. If he is responsible for everything and nothing is your fault and all the decisions are up to him then he will start to see the problems. I'm a happy housewife happily disengaged my way. I still cook dinner for us all and have rules for MY home. But other then that parenting is up to him. If there's an issue like the pissing in the tub then I treat them like any other person in my home I caught doing it. That's not a parenting issue to me then. It's a territory issue in my home. I've also found that now that I'm happier and more secure in my place here I'm given more respect Nd I'm noticeably happier.

lucid_dawn's picture

I was on the cusp of a situation like this. I dated a guy whose kid was allowed to act out and hit and throw things and be a brat. Nobody seemed to really have control over him including the mother. I couldn't picture myself in that situation full time so living together or marriage just wasn't going to be an option for me.

Fast forward and I am now dating a guy with five kids and all these children are smart, well behaved young adults who fix their own meals and do their own thing. I was picturing a house in chaos when I first imagined things but I have never been in a room so full of people and felt so calm.

The difference is one man is a parent and the other was not. One is invested in teaching his children how to be good people and capable adults and one is just phoning it in and let his ex take the brunt of the work.

Basically with kids the biological parents need to step up and take charge of the situation. Until they do the kids will continue to be disrespectful nightmares. She is disrespectful to you because her father hasn't made it known that that kind of behavior is unacceptable.

I am sorry you are having to go through this. You are a stronger person that I was. I knew my limits and walked. I miss the dad but I don't miss the drama of his kid and ex at all. It was a nightmare. My point is I have seen two scenarios and it doesn't have to be a nightmare but the burden falls on the dad to setup clear boundaries for his kids and his ex. If dad isn't willing to do that then it's up to you to decide how much you are capable of living with.

Rags's picture

I also believe that it is equally on the SParent to defend behavioral and performance standards for their SKids.  This worked for my DW and I in raising SS-29.  He was 15mos old when we met. We married the week before he turned 2yo.

His entire childhood our friends would comment on how well behaved our son was. We took him everywhere with us.  Many of them would not bring their children out in public or along for a group of friends event.  We were frequently told that we were too strict and he was just a kid. Now he is an outstanding man who is thriving in life.  Many of those same friends now comment on how great our kid was and how much they enjoyed him as a child and now as an adult.

For me the linchpin of our parenting outcome with SS is that his three younger also out of wedlock Spermidiot spawned half sibs are abject failures in adult life.  My SS is the eldest. #2 is barely viable and struggles to just barely keep her nose above water.  #3 is in prison for felony burglary while armed, #4 is not far behind #3 and in all likelihood on his way to prison as well.

HIs mom and I are very proud of our son.  He asked me to adopt him when he was 22. We made that happen. I am a proud dad.

This is not rocket science. It amazes me how many people have not a clue regarding what they are polluting the world with regarding their shitty parenting.  If only SParents would guage their choice in mates utilizing the quality of that potential mates parenting as a key measurement for choosing a mate many would avoid so much drama and pain.

I am sorry you had to experience that.

Someoneelse's picture

Honestly, therapy.  I'm not saying that you're crazy, but therapy can help you cope with things that you don't know how to cope with. Maybe even just being able to talk about it can help you feel better. Plan nice things for yourself to do on the days that she's coming back.  Be gone getting your nails done/ getting a massage/ having a girls night out that night.

Booqueen's picture

She sounds like a nightmare. I'm sorry you have to live with this. I've no advice because I'm new to this whole thing too, but my thoughts are with you. 

CLove's picture

I read your posts and comments. That is a horrible way to live. Due to abuse and neglect, your husband is probably parenting out of guilt. As in hes not parenting. You have been given responsibility without authority, which is not sustainable long-term, as you are finding out. 

You will need to disengage, child will need therapy. That is the "what needs to happen" part of things. As you are married, leaving is not in the equation (yet). Your husband needs repercussions to his lack of parenting. Definitely separate finances. Definitely find other places to go and things to do so that he is forced to deal with this. He doesnt want to put his kid in therapy? Well you will need to draw the hard lines in the sand and be willing to back them up with repercussions. No therapy = no help from you at all with kiddo. Get nanny cams to record her behavior.  As this child ages, she will more than likely start telling more lies and accusing you of abuse. This is what SD22 Feral Forger has done all through her teens and into now. She will accuse someone of something, and it is the very thing she has done herself. She will include enough details (because of course she knows all the details being the perpetrator) that it will be believable.

If she is not treated and parented NOW - at 8 - then she will get worse and your life with this family will not get better...