You are here

I don't love SD...

Tasha's picture

I have a 4yo SD. I have been with SO for over two years now, and we are expecting our first child together. There is only one thing that is ever an issue in our relationship; his little princess. SO feels that I should love SD like my own, but I just don't and I don't think I ever can. I am not mean to her, and when she is at our house she feels comfortable (50/50 placement). I just don't love her. SO tells me he can't be with me if I can't love her like my own. He claims all other step-parents he has known love their step kids as their own, and that's what he wants in a partner. Can it really be true that I am the only person that doesn't love a step child like their own? Also, I don't have any children of my own, and though we have been together for two years, I feel like I can't be a parent to someone else's child when I have no idea how to be a parent. SO wants to leave me because "he can't love me if I can't love the other person in his life". (remember, we have our own child on the way now, I am due in a month). What the hell can a person even do in this situation? Does anyone have any advice on how to talk to SO about why I feel like I feel?

BSgoinon's picture

I love my stepson like my own. He is my world, just like my 2 DD's are. I would walk through fire for that little boy.

It may not be "the norm" but it isn't impossible.

TASHA1983's picture

Just curious...if you love your ss like your own then why does your profile pic say "evil stepmom"??? Do you have other skids...that you DONT like?

almost new mom's picture

so agree..not my child not my problem and not my job to do anything at this point...and it feels great...

Ashleystepmom's picture

wow show your DH this website. give him the reality check of the century

RedWingsFan's picture

^^^^YES

ImpishTendencies's picture

Your SO sounds a smidge delusional with a dash of unrealistic. All he can really expect of you is that you treat her kindly, don't let her play in the street, and respect her relationship with her dad.

Do any of these idiot dads ever expect the kid to love their partners like their own mom?? Seriously, you can't force love.

Sad how the kid you're carrying doesn't seem to count. What an asshat.

SMof2Girls's picture

I don't think it's fair to say no stepparent loves their skids like their own .. I adore my skids and have great relationships with them. I don't think this should be the expectation though. It's nice, but it's not realistic in every situation. Your SO will need to learn to accept the fact that while you do care for the skid, you cannot love her as your own. Maybe get him some literature about blended families and stepparenting so he can see things from YOUR perspective.

And every other step-parent he knows is painting an awfully rosey picture that he is buying hook, line, and sinker.

byebyebirdie's picture

love comes in all different forms is what you need to explain to SO. you care about her well being and will look out for her best interest and care for her and that is love!! (it is just not the same kind of love one feels for their biological children.) i would not say that part but explain that you do love in your own way.

TASHA1983's picture

Gotta love those wonderful double standards....WE have to or are EXPECTED to LOVE skids like our own because they are kids and didnt ask to be born or put in this situation BLAH BLAH BLAH but they DONT have to like/love, respect, etc. US??!!

TOTALLY F'D UP!!!!!

StepKidto3Momto3's picture

Absolutely step parents have feelings....Grief, anger and frustration being three biggies!

But we are the adults whose choices created the situation that we are all living in now. The children are just dragged along for the ride.

All adults should place the needs of all children ahead of their own. Note I said NEEDS not wants. In fact, sometimes they do not want the very thing they need; to learn to clean their room, to learn manners, to learn how to earn money to gt the new video game.

phoenix410's picture

Word.

I have tried and tried to love my skids, but all I get in return is attitude, disrespect, and called names. I give up and don't care a bit. I didn't marry them, I married their dad. They just have to come along.

Tell your SO you're doing the best you can. You're trying to love his daughter, and will not treat her any differently than your biological one. What else can you do?

ocs's picture

My SD12 and I are like you and your SD4.

It took us 2yrs to get to this spot. He has finally admitted to himself he has been impatient and unfair to me about the relationship with SD. It was a lightbulb moment for him when I was so upset I was actually getting to the 'ugly cry'. (I'm not a crier)

He said it made him sad we weren't a 'family', but he will be more patient to get us there, if we ever do. SD and I cannot bond... he couldn't keep punishing me- her BM brainwashes her to hate me.

I will continue to try because I love him, but it will never be as if she was my own.

stepmisery's picture

Wow, sorry this is coming up when you are about to give birth to this man's child. Sad

I wonder if he actually talks to other stepparents and, if he does, are they stepfathers? Because there really seems to be a difference between being an SM or an SF. SF's tend to have an easier time of it, for various reasons.

Honestly, I think one of the most successful tactics I've gleaned from here is not talking to him about my feelings. No parent really wants to hear that the person they love, the person who loves them back, is also the person who actually dislikes their child.

Love is not just a description of feelings. Love is also a verb, and that's the kind of love a lot of SM's muster up for the skids.

So, technically you do love her. You don't have the mushy love feelings but you treat her with love and respect. Maybe he'll understand that.

hismineandours's picture

You know I think men do have an easier time. I honestly think my dh, who has been around my bios since they were 2 and 9 months (12 years now)loves them as his own. Truly. I dont notice alot of differentiation in the way he treats them from our dd who is 10. I have noticed some differences over the years in how he treats ss-but IDK that's a totally different issue as he didnt live with us, he's a loser-all kinds of different situations there.

Also, my kids bio dad is dead-so no crazy bf to deal with for him-it has allowed him to very easily step into the role of their father. I tried to love my ss as my own who was also 2 when we met-and the kid just didnt want it-loyalty issues with his bm and all that and he is satans spawn in addition so he doesnt really do well with love from anyone.

My dh also expected us to be like the Brady's and his constant pushing ss and I to be close and loving-I think freaked ss out to a certain degree. He pushed and pushed me in ss's face as his "mom" while ss already had a mom whom he loved and preferred, even if she was a POS. So this need to be a happy little family had some disastrous results for us-I've often wondered if my dh would have had a different perspective if things could have turned out differently.

janeyc's picture

The first time I was a fulltime stepmother to two young children, I did love them like my own, their Dad ensured that I was always respected and the kids where lovely, however he never expected me to love them, now the second time, my partner also does not expect me to love my Sd6, you cannot force love and to do so, will push you the other way, I think that if your husband had been more relaxed about this, you might be more likely to love her, he is an idiot, wah all the step parent I know love their skids, oh really? I think that is a lie to further force you to do as he wishes. It dos'nt make you a bad person in anyway that you don't love her, now your husband has decided to demand that you love her or you don't have a future, phew I would be so mad with him, I would say to him that it happens when it happens, forcing you will push you the other way, he needs to take a step back and chill out. I wonder how he would feel if the situation was reversed?

oneoffour's picture

I would ask him if he would be OK with another man loving his son like his own. Another man making judgement calls over his son because, well, he loves him like his own.

If we DO love the S/kids it is for being themselves and not because we have to love them as parents. And in time you will have a special fondness for your SD. Truly you will. And it will be because she is around or far far away... }:)

I want to know my DH has my children's health and welfare at heart and is a kind person to them. Love them? Only when and if he is ready.

herewegoagain's picture

Ask your DH if he loves one of YOUR nieces or nephews as HIS OWN...or if he loves a bratty kid from the neighborhood as HIS OWN just because he is friends with the parents. He'll get it then.

PS - don't feel guilty, it is hardly ever accomplished, except when the BM is not really involved...

Jmom's picture

Hey newcomer you need to be honest with this kid and tell her the truth. She's 13 and she knows what she's doing. How dare she hold you over the coals with this one. I have made it known to DH and SD12 that BS12 is my responsibility. SD has a mom and a dad, BS12 does not have a relationship with his bio dad. It was just me and him before them. I treat both kids fairly but if push came to shove SD knows what the deal is now. I don't play her little games any longer.

SanAntonioSoccerMom's picture

I love my stepsons like my own son as I raised them from the time they were toddlers. They have become my kids.

I don't think it is healthy for anyone to be in a relationship where you hate/dislike/can't tolerate/loathe your SO/DH kids. It is just not good for anyone involved. I can't imagine being married to someone who hated my son. That shit would never happen. Nor can I imagine being married to someone whose kids I couldn't stand to be around. It makes no sense, and life is too short.

Tasha's picture

Thanks for all the comments everyone. Last night I attempted to have a heart to heart with him about this and be honest about how I feel. I told him that I don't know if I will ever be able to love her like my own child; mainly because I don't have a child yet and I have no idea what that love is like, so how could I make a guarentee like that. He told me he won't "put her through that". Meaning he would rather bail out on me and our baby than be with someone that might not ever love his princess like he does (he actually said this). Honestly, the things he said blew my mind. I never thought someone could be so ignorant and disillusioned about what life raising another person's child is like. He claims that he will love both children the same, but the things he said make me really feel like he will always love and consider his first child first, above me and above our child. I am at my breaking point. He doesn't care one bit about how I feel, even though I never said I couldn't for sure love her. I simply told him that I don't think the bond with her will ever be the same as with my own child (I thought this was pretty common sense). He treats me second best to her, and also treats our own baby as second best (and she hasn't even been born yet). He was pretty damn horrible to me last night (calling me names, saying rude things, etc). I am scared to be a single parent, but I am sick of being treated like a doormat for him and his princess. I keep thinking maybe once the baby is here, he will be different. But I also feel like that is very silly for me to think at this point, seeing how he has shown his true colors. I am just so confused and hurt; more hurt for my baby than anything.

TASHA1983's picture

Tasha - He has made it crystal clear the kind of man he is. He puts his daughter, her feelings, her EVERYTHING above you and your soon to be child!!!

Be grateful that you NOW KNOW where YOU stand with him and where you are on his list of priorities. You do not deserve to be treated like that! No woman should ever be SECOND in the man she loves life! Do not settle for that treatment and disrespect from ANY MAN. You dont want your child to see you in such a dysfunctional relationship as this so do yourself and your new baby a favor...be strong and exit this relationship...ASAP!!! YOU CAN DO THIS ON YOUR OWN!!! YOU WILL FIND A GREAT MAN THAT WILL LOVE AND ADORE AND RESPECT YOU AND YOUR BABY!!!! Trust me Smile

Please dont stay one more minute with this inconsiderate, selfish asshole!!! Do it for your baby...they deserve the best too!!!

I wish you the VERY BEST now and always Wink

reallifedrama's picture

I just noticed a second page, no idea how to delete my comment, so I'm just going to edit it here. I just saw you said he pushes you and I want to say that since you are pregnant, not only are you being abused, but he is physically abusing your child, too. Get the hell away from him before an "accident" happens, and stop worrying about him leaving you....you should be making a safety plan to get yourself (especially since you're carrying a child that can't get up and go itself) out!

stepintexas's picture

You are so right!!!!

OP needs to call it like it is to the asshole, he is being abusive, unrealistic and is trying to guilt her. I would pack his bags for him!

discfocused's picture

WHAT?! OMG I would have flipped on fdh if he treated me like that. I help him with his kids and accept them into my life, it would have been a cold day in hell if I was "2nd rate". This is my house as well and I have to put up with them then my thoughts and opinions matter as well. I do more than I have to for his kids, so if the day ever comes that he makes the "real parent" comment, he's going to get a faceful of fire and ice. May not be your daughter but its still your home and your life that she is in.

discfocused's picture

You need to tell him you cant love her like your own because she is not YOUR DAUGHTER. Thats a selfish expectation. I tell my fdh that I respect his kids because they are his kids and when they are here, I will help him out and treat them with respect but guess what? THey go back home to their MOTHER.. Their biological mother! You may over time develop your own personal relationship with her but that needs to be in YOUR own time, not forced by him. You have already taken him on, accepting the fact he has a child with someone else, he should be grateful for that.

Tasha's picture

He is under the impression though that he is God's gift to women, and he could find someone else in a heartbeat to deal with his shit and his kid. I told him last night that if he feels he can find a (sane)woman that will love the little brat like her own AND be fine with being treated second best, then he had my blessing. He did make me feel guilty last night that I have a bond with my unborn baby and not with his kid. I do not ever want to feel guilty for loving my child.

I honestly think the only thing that scares me about being a single parent is the fact that he will have my baby, unsupervised, fifty percent of the time. That scares the shit out of me. He is verbally abusive to me, and I have seen him do the same to his kid (not often, but he's called her a "fucking retard" and shit like that). He has also been physically abusive in the past (pushed me on multiple occasions, grabbed me by the throat and threw me against a vehicle, and some other pretty bad things). I would honestly fear for my child's safety if she was left alone in his care. Hell, when he's mad I fear for my own safety. SO part of me feels like if I stay, he will never have the opportunity to be alone with my baby. But if I leave, he will have her half of the time. What would you do in this situation?

byebyebirdie's picture

keep a log book of all these acts you may need it one day. note all vital info. 50/50 is not alwasys granted by the courts if you can show good cause why kid should not be there

bobhope252's picture

well i am the same way i dont know what to do its like i get all worked up and all when i know she is there, she drives me crazy her dad and mom treat her like a baby and i dont know what i should do half of me wants to tuffen her up but of couse that just makes her hate me more, and now all i want to do is hide in in my room please anyone have advise :jawdrop: :? }:) :sick:

Myself's picture

Wait a sec......this goes BEYOND blended family issues. This guy is abusive. Period. His philosophy seems to be 'it's either my way or the highway'.

I mean, you said he calls you names, he is also physically abusive AND he sometimes calls HIS OWN daughter, whom he expects you to love like your own (note the irony), "a fuckin retard".

Seriously? This guy is abusive to you and even to his own daughter. It seems that there are a lot of "issues" in your relationship. He's already shown you his true colours. Now it's up to you to decide whether this is the man you want to spend the rest of your life with.

WTHDISUF's picture

These folks loving their Skids's as if they are their own must be some rare special breed as I've never heard of such a thing. I've sincerely cared for and enjoyed children of Men that I have dated and we've had good times. But did I love them the way I love my own daughter? No. If I had to save them or my child from some disaster, I'm going for my child first and I don't know any Parent who'd not do that.

I don't think your SO is being realistic to expect you to make yourself love his child as your own. You may love her as a child, as I love my stepson as a child, but I don't adore him, I don't love him as my own, I don't treat him bad nor do I go out of my way to treat him special. He's a child born into a situation that he didn't have any control over and I don't hold that against him. But he's not a likable kid- personality has been formed by a manipulative, arrogant and non-attentive mother. My DH knows I tolerate him but that I don't love him like my own (hell he's not even DH's own) and he's okay with that.

For your SO to threaten to leave you, when you have a child due by him is very nasty behavior. I don't know what that says about the future way he will treat your child together or YOU for that matter. Whatever the case ends up being, take care of yourself and your new baby even if it means doing it without him. Hugs.

RedWingsFan's picture

How can anyone be forced to love someone just because you love someone they're related to?

TASHA1983's picture

Exactly!!! A skid is a COMPLETE AND TOTALLY SEPERATE PERSON!!! Equipped with his/her own personality, characteristics and traits etc.

ANYONE that expects ANYONE to like/love someone (skids included) JUST BECAUSE you are WITH/MARRIED TO their parent is a COMPLETE MORON!!! Plain and simple.

Does anyone always like/love everyone they meet, live with, come into contact with in their lives??? NO! NO! & NO!

So therefore to ask, demand, or expect a woman/man that MARRIED YOU FOR !!!YOU!!! AND BECAUSE THEY LOVE !!!YOU!!! & TO BE THEIR PARTNER IN LIFE FOREVER to like/love their offspring just because they share DNA is unfreaking realistic and RIDICULOUS!!!

I love my BF so much and I want to spend my life with him and vice versa..he knows that I do not like and cant stand his son...but yet he still loves me and wants to be with me for HIM AND FOR US!!!! As long as I dont abuse his kid then there shouldnt be a problem with us being together!! I love a man that unfortunately has a kid I dont like...that is not my fault nor is it anyone elses fault. It is what it is. We are human and we are not always going to like/love people that come into our lives for whatever reason...period.

RedWingsFan's picture

^^^Exactly! When SD14 started pulling her shit (about a month into our relationship), I told DH that I didn't see ever being able to love her like my own, and understood if that was a deal breaker for him. He totally understood and said he loved me, I loved him and that's all that mattered. As long as I wasn't rude, mean or abusive to his daughter, and we tolerated each other for the most part, he'd be ok with that.

Did he want us to bond and be one big happy family? Of course. He and my daughter LOVE each other and frequently want to do things together. SD14 is the opposite and would rather sit on her ass eating chips/cookies in front of the tv like her momma. So, different personalities clash, right?

TASHA1983's picture

Of course, every man WANTS us all to be one big happy family ya know kinda like the Stepfords lol. Less headaches and work for THEM!!! That is ultimately all they care about...keeping the peace so they can just go on with their lives as per usual!!
However, it is not nor will that EVER be the case!!!

I wont/wouldnt beat the shit out of his kid but I will not allow him to disrespect me, my son, my bf, or my home that he is a guest in when he comes here!!!! I will simply not acknowledge him or his shitty behavior...that is ALL on his father. HIS KID...HIS PROBLEM!!! But I will speak for myself and my son and my house. Period...he will most definitely know where the door is if he cant and wont comply to the rules and expectations of being in my home. Plain and simple Smile

Shannon61's picture

I agree. The bigger issue here is not your relationship with SD, but the fact that he's abusive. What's he going to do when the baby starts crying at 2:00 am and he's trying to sleep?

It's time to plan your exit. Don't raise your child in this negative, toxic environment. She deserves better and so do you!

runt71's picture

Good. I am not the only evil sm in the world. I have tried and tried to bond with his kids. It's just not there. No matter what I try they always get an attitude and start pouting n acting up. Things my own kids would have been in serious trouble for, his get .... Honey stop that's it's not nice. And if I hear " well my mom says your not my boss" one more time! I keep my cool and remind them no, I'm not your mother but as long as your in our house I am your boss and I am the one who takes care of you like you were my children. I will correct you when needed and love u when needed. So get over it
My sis in law and I have decided to write a book. Raising stepkids and the ex without loosing your mind. We are thinking it will be funny as hell. And if it doesn't help. Well ya can knock the ex out with it. Lmao

GillyWilly's picture

Why on earth would you love her? You love her father, she is his baggage which you have to accept and respect but not love!

Don't discuss your feelings with your husband, he doesn't understand and there's no point going on about it. Focus on your child you are about to bring into the world and raise into the person you want.