You are here

Munchausens Syndrome??Anyone with kids who might be going through this??

bonus_mom757's picture

I'm truly beginning and honestly have been feeling that my stepson has this. Ever since I've known him he is always sick, headaches, nauseous, tired, complaining. He has been tested for things, seen eye doctors, took blood tests, but nothing. While I pray that he truly is sick and it's not made up, that sounds bad I don't want him to be sick, but I prefer sickness health wise then mentally. I think it's about the attention, but how do you address?

misSTEP's picture

I can't really give any advice on this. But I do believe that my BM did this. Although the skids never really tried to use it as an attention getter, I just don't understand how in the hell two very healthy, athletic skids could EACH have more medical bills in a couple of years than my DS did his whole childhood (minus his birth expenses)!

bonus_mom757's picture

No not by Proxy. I'm hoping it doesn't go into psychological only because I do think that he is a self centered kid and if the world doesn't revolve around him he gets upset and he has to be center of the attention, we are doing a full all over checkup and if everything comes back he is going to get a wake up call and it's going to be ignore ignore ignore, I try to ignore it now, but when nurses at school call or he calls and texts, if I don't respond then I'm the bad parent. Regardless if his mother doesn't respond either, so I try to be available. But if he is constantly complaining it gets old, so either its a put up or shut up.

He is healthy but skinny, he isn't eating right, and wonder if he got his face out of his phone maybe he wouldn't have so many headaches.

I'm calling it with just a little of Munchasusens and a little I need to grow some balls, stop being a whiney baby.

bonus_mom757's picture

Well he was vomiting so he says, he took aspirin (for his headache) this morning and then threw it up, I explained that you can't take certain meds on an empty stomach, but then it lead all the way to school for about two hours, then the nurse called. So I don't know how bad it is, but he wants chicken tenders for dinner because it sounds good, to me your not sick!

Mother ignores everything any attempt at the welfare of her son, she ignores or complains, but I've seen him do the same thing to her and she pretty much babies him. I think the only way hypochondria applies is if he thinks he can get out of school he will go anytime to the doctor, other then that he could care less about the doctor, just when he needs to get out of something.

I say Diet!! It's horrible!!

thinkthrice's picture

chicken tenders. You and I have the EXACT SAME BM!! The Girhippo fed them (and still does feed them) a HORRID DIET!! Apparently the Gir was also the fussy eater stepchild as well (no kidding).

She also ran them to the doctors for every little sliver. She took Pumpkinhead (OSS now 18) when he was 9 years old to get an MRI because he tripped over his own feet in gym class. Told Chef it was meningitis!! Those were the early years when it still shocked me what a horrific set of parents they both were and still are.

Rags's picture

I think the syndrome you are looking for is Hypochondria. Many kids use this for attention. Sadly so do some adults.

Here is the deal, if he has no discernable symptoms (fever, inflammation, blood, protruding bones, projectile vomiting, explosive diarrhea, etc......) then don't take him to the doctor. If he does not get his need for attention catered to, it will likely stop.

Growing up if there was no fever, blood, puking, or severe intestinal distress .... "get your butt to school kid." For damned sure there was no ordering treats. We got bland. broth and soda crackers with hot water, lemon and a dab of honey. To test the veracity of the illness if there was any doubt ..... castor oil. If he is not on his death bed he would go to the ends of the earth to avoid that crap. }:)

Castor Oil cured me of my favorite rubbing the thermometer on the bed to warm it up trick after saying "Mom, I don't feel well." Nasty crap that castor oil.

Have fun tormenting the Skid through his "syndrome". }:) }:) }:)

bonus_mom757's picture

say what!! :jawdrop: How is that possible?? and nonetheless illegal???

SweetMom's picture

Hey I admit I faked being sick to get to stay home rather than going with my h and his brat.. Bahahaha!