You are here

Needing advice on how to counter DH BS excuses why SS is a brat

Crazystepmom12's picture

Ok SS13 is a TOTAL Disrespectful, LAZY, rude, VERY needy Immature spoiled brat. I've had many talks/Arguments with DH regarding SS13 Horrible behavior. DH ALWAYS has an excuse why he can't Discipline SS. Below are DH "Favorite" ones that I would like to have a come back with everyone's.

1. "ITS HARD TO HAVE RULES/Expectations WHEN SS LIVES IN TWO HOMES AND BM BABIES/CODDLES HIM". This is DH favorite come back for basically everything about SS crappy behavior I want fixed. Now DH is correct about BM. She does do EVERYTHING for him and treats him like a four year old but school has rules that SS has to follow so it can be done. 

2. "I'LL TRY BUT IT WONT HAPPEN OVER NIGHT" This is DH second favorite line to use for Correcting SS bratty behavior. Basically DH uses this line when he can't use the line above and what I'm asking to be fixed/done it's totally Reasonable Regarding SS. BUT when DH uses this line what he really means is "I'LL TRY BUT don't expect me to follow through if SS puts up a stink and I(DH) really don't think it's a big deal"

So if ANYONE has any Suggestions on good come backs or how to Counter the above statements PLEASE tell me. 

susanm's picture

It sounds like he really doesn't want to do anything about the behavior unless it affects him.  So make it affect him.  Any messes made, inconveniences caused, food issues, and expenses incurred HE can deal with.  Don't bail him out or shield him from the reality of his kid.    He won't change unless and until it hurts and it won't hurt if you don't let the landslide fall directly on him.

Crazystepmom12's picture

Or at least DH acts that way. I already don't clean up after SS...DH does and does not seem to mind at all. I don't pay for anything regarding SS...DH foots the bill 100 percent for SS. Even when we go out to eat I'll pay for my food BUT not a dime for SS. If I totally "Disengaged" I'm Positive DH would love that. As Even though 99 percent of the time DH does not listen to me regarding SS bratty behavior it does not stop me from Shooting DH a nasty look when his kid is a brat to me. If I stopped caring and just stayed out of the house or busy when SS is over DH would not only love this but allow  SS run completely Feral and Destroy the house. Plus if I'm not around DH won't have to worry about me complaining how SS is rude to me

susanm's picture

Damn...  Maybe you should stay gone and doing your own thing whether SS is there or not!

secret's picture

"Millions of kids live in 2 homes and have rules and expectations. What is it that makes him too special to be like everyone else?"

Rags's picture

"You WILL fix this or YOU will be looking for your next wife."  

I would also let DH know that if he does not get it done, YOU will be applying escalating misery inducing discipline on his toxic failed family breeding experiment.  If he does not like how you parent and discipline, he can step up and get it done before you have to.