You are here

Non-Custodial Parents’ Involvement in School

frustrated-mom's picture

I wondered what is typical for how involved non-custodial parents are with their kids’ school when they live more than an hour away?

DH wants to be superdad and stay involved with what’s going on with his kids’ schools and attend parent/teacher conferences. However, it’s not always easy for him to get off work considering it requires a long drive to where his boys live and back (which can be 4 hours round trip at rush hour). He does log into their online grade system and gets emails from their teachers, but he’s frequently completely out of the loop with what’s happening.

SS7 is having some issues in school with hyperactivity, not sitting still and staying on task. DH doesn’t think he has ADHD, but his teacher has requested several meeting with his parents. The last one was this week, but DH was out of town visiting SD15 for spring break, then couldn’t get off work to go, so the teacher ended up meeting only with BM and her new husband.

BM told him that it didn’t matter if he was there or not, since he’s not “involved” and she and her husband are the ones dealing with SS7 on a daily basis and on all school nights.

DH only has the boys every other weekend and they have been not coming lately since they have activities and DH has been working weekends and can’t take them. DH is incredibly stung that he’s being label uninvolved. He wants to help, it’s just practically impossible for him to keep driving back and forth.

I can see where BM is coming from since my ex only sees my DS a few times a year and has nothing to do with school and can’t be actively involved from a distance. I don't want him butting in.

DH is even further away from SD15 (she lives in another state over 1000 miles away with her aunt and uncle) and he feels so guilty for not attending school functions. But I keep telling him it’s absolutely ridiculous for him to even think that’s possible.

All of this traveling and even driving back and forth to activities or school functions for the boys during non-parenting time is taking such a toll on him and our marriage. I have to remind him that he has responsibilities to our marriage and family and can’t be constantly running round chasing after all of his other kids who already have people looking after them.

DH feels like he’s a failure as a father if he doesn’t attend every game, every parent/teacher conference every meeting with the teachers and isn’t there trying to coach his sons’ Little League teams and help them with homework. I’m trying to convince him that that’s not necessary and that he can’t time away from our family because of his guilty over not spending enough time with his kids. There’s so many days now that I barely see him. Driving back and forth to be superdad shouldn’t take priority over our marriage.

Any suggestions on how he can still feel relevant without it consuming all of his time?

Bio father's picture

Sounds like he doesn't have time for anyone. He has kids all over, why does his daughter live with her aunt/uncle

stepmama2one's picture

I know how this is. BM in our situation hasnt attended any school events, parent-teacher confereces or ANYTHING..All because she says," Well I dont know what the school calendar says because I cant log onto the school website on my phone to see anything."

frustrated-mom's picture

She lives with her aunt & uncle because I will not tolerate her behavior in my home.

herewegoagain's picture

A father and mother have a RIGHT to be as involved as they want in school functions. Yes, I think that it is "unreasonable" to think that someone who lives an hour or more away, who also doesn't get the information as far in advance as others, who just by the virtue of being a "man" is usually required to work and it is NOT as easy as for "women" to take off work to go to school things, they are given the short end of the stick. The fact is that most BMs use this "he's not that involved, I deal with the kids during the week", in order to make their own decisions about school and piss off dad. Period. Funny, if that's the case, then why the heck do they make the dads pay CS for while THEY have them? Because again, it's always about what is convenient to the BM. Period. Funny, but most of the time, the less involved a dad is in school issues, that actually WANTS to be involved, the crappier the kids turn out and the worse they do in school. Just a fact of life. At the end, these mothers are hurting their kids, once again, in their need for "control" of their kids and to piss of their ex.

frustrated-mom's picture

DH has been emailing both of the boys' teachers. SS7's teacher seems annoyed that she has to repeat herself to both DH and BM. BM is also not telling DH about letters that are being sent home with SS7 about his behavior or problems that day in school or conversations she (or her husband) have with the teacher when picking the boys up.

I get the teacher's prospective that she has probably 30 students and has to deal with 2 sets of parents.

The boys have a SF who is actively involved in their lives and is talking to the teachers. I had to stop him from shooting off a nasty email to SS7's teacher about not letting the SF talk to the teacher or make any decisions. So, there is a "father" involved, from the teacher's prospective.

stepmama2one's picture

Well tough crap if the teacher doesnt want to do her job. Inform her that BM doesnt give you any progress reports or letters so that you dont know whats going on most of the time. Sorry but its the teachers job to make sure BOTH parents know whats going on with their kid. If she doesnt want to do that then maybe she shouldnt be a teacher...So let her be annoyed but if it were my kid I wouldnt give a crap if anyone was annoyed. Its either your husband being annoyed for not being able to be involved with his kids more or the teacher.

frustrated-mom's picture

DH does get weekly emails from the teacher but they are broad summaries. The teacher keeps him vaguely in the loop, but since BM has SS7 every school night, she doesn’t give him all the details.

IMO, the teacher sends him a 2-3 sentence email because she has to and seems annoyed when he suggests things that might help or asks questions because it’s things she’s already discussed with BM and her husband and tells him to ask them.

I can see the teacher's POV that she has to repeat herself and that there's a lack of communication between DH and BM. BM doesn't like having to give him a play-by-play of everything that's going on. DH wants to be a hands-on dad that’s helping with SS7‘s reading assignments, but realistically, that's no possible with him only having him every other weekend.

stormabruin's picture

If the teacher is willing, perhaps it would be better for DH to set up a time for a phone conference with the teacher rather than trying to schedule a trip for a face-to-face. I don't know if teachers do that, but if they schedule a face-to-face, I don't know why they wouldn't be willing just to do it by phone. If that doesn't work, maybe he could arrange for email reports when things are happening he should be aware of.

Honestly, in what we've been dealing with as far as schools, I've been very surprised at how difficult it is to be included or made aware of things that are going on. Sure, once DH can finally get the person on the line he needs to speak with, she's all about helping him be involved in what's happening, but as soon as they hang up it seems he's forgotten again.

It also doesn't help that BM is minimizing the importance of his involvement.

Like herewegoagain said, "Funny, but most of the time, the less involved a dad is in school issues, that actually WANTS to be involved, the crappier the kids turn out and the worse they do in school. Just a fact of life. At the end, these mothers are hurting their kids, once again, in their need for "control" of their kids and to piss of their ex."

It's all about power & control. If it's something a father WANTS it's something the BM is going to do all she can to keep from happening. And when the kid fails classes & ends up with behavior issues because BM won't parent her kid, she'll blame it all on the fact that "his father wasn't around. He wasn't involved like he should've been".

Lalena75's picture

Since he is in contact with the school, I'd suggest he regularly check the schools online calendar most schools have them so he can try and plan in advance to be available for confrences. He's trying and I understand it's difficult with the distance. If he wants to be more involved he needs to be proactive in getting the info he needs, email the teacher at the beginning of every month to see what days/times there are things going on he can go to, see if the teacher is willing to set up a second or extra confrence with him (this is what my SO does since BM makes sure to schedule confrences when she knows he is at work) He's doing more than my exH and he lives 2 blocks from us so props to him for trying! ExH is stepping up more since I've made a point to send him the kids school work in a folder every week, he sees where they are at and I give him as much notice as I get on school events and such. It must be much harder when BM doesn't help dad be involved.

GoodbyeNormaJean's picture

BM2 lives an hour away from us. We have full custody of SD9 and BM2 doesn't even know where she goes to school. We have sent fliers on the weekends with SD9 letting BM2 know when SD9 had a play or an event coming up, in case BM2 wants to attend. It's never happened.

Once a parent sets up a new franchise in a new city, it becomes hard to take time from that family to be involved in anything that isn't local. If the shoe were on the other foot, DH wouldn't go to BM2's city to do much with SD9's school, because he has kids here, as well as a job and other responsibilities. To be frank, he just wouldn't have time.

youngmama1b1g's picture

I'm so nervous about school in general.

It's completely up to the custodial parent as to how involved the other parent will be. Considering how BM doesn't even remember to give us the basic information about anything, I doubt she'll remember to keep SO up to date or involved.

Not to mention the school she wants to send him to had 13 assaults last year according to the district's website (its an elementary school)...damn there I go getting worked up when I need to take a step back and realize not my kid, not my choices.

Most Evil's picture

My SD is far away and DH always had to fight to get info on her activities.

He drove HOURS and DAYS to performances, paid for trips and hotels we could not afford, etc. until SD stopped telling him about events because BM would get mad that he would come, and everyone could see, he is not the 'deadbeat' she claims he is!

We begged to get SD to live with us to have someone help her with her schoolwork and failing grades, which BM also blamed on DH somehow?! but she wouldn't because 'her mom needed her'? sick.

Oh well she barely graduated but that is just a minor point to BM? and SD only now sees how important a good education is. Sad

PCD's picture

My husband lives an hour away from his kids and works evenings so he is usually suppose to be at work during school functions. He tries to book the time off when he can so that WE can attend the function at the school. Sometimes it is not possible and we have explained that to the kids, but he always tries. If a school event is during school hours we always make it. In the past BM never told us about any school function. She would invite my husbands parents but neglect to tell us about the event. Forced us to go to the school directly and as it turns out, they have an email list and all school calendars, notices and permission forms go out via email as well as on paper to go home with the kids. So we were added to the email list and we get all notifications before they even arrive home with the kids that day. Helped out a lot.

I think that (as much as I have struggled with it also) being married to a man with kids from a previous relationship means that we as wives and step moms have to realize that we knew the man had kids before we married them. We knew the kids were a part of his life and that they deserve to be and he deserves to be as much a part of their lives as he wants. My husband is 100% devoted to his kids, both from his previous marriage and from our marriage. I sometimes do have a hard time with the amount of time his "first family" takes away from our family, but at the end of the day, if they were my kids I would be doing everything I could to make it to their events and activities.

If your husband is finding it hard to stay up to date with the kids school info, maybe approach the school and see if the teachers would be willing to email him once a week to keep him updated.

If you're having a difficult time with the lack of time you get to see your husband because of all of the driving back and forth, would it be possible to attend all of these events with him? If it's an hour away then that's an hour long drive one way that you two can have some one on one time conversations. My husband and I really value that time driving back and forth as relationship time. We find ourselves talking about things that we probably wouldn't have had we been sitting in the house with other things to distract us.

Also maybe the kids could get email so that they could stay in touch with their Dad better. It might help them feel he is more involved if he can send them and email and ask about their week, let them know in advance that he has tried but can't get the time off work to attend their game or school play, but to send him some pics of the event and tell him all about it when they get home from it. That way each party can manage to write when they get the time.

Also, as far as the kids not getting to come see their dad on his schd weekends, is that allowed in the custody agreement? Our agreement says that the kids are with us on ALL weekends and with their BM on weekdays. So if she wants to sign them up for something it has to be during the week. We can sign them up for things here on weekends. If something pops up that is on a weekend BM has to write us and ask us if we would mind. If we had solid plans for a trip or something we will say no, sorry. But if there is nothing going on we feel that it's just appropriate to let the kids attend a friends birthday party or whatever. But we won't go more than 1 weekend without seeing them.

Just some thoughts. Hope everything works out for you!

frustrated-mom's picture

DH doesn’t want to limit the sports his boys can do, so he would never say they couldn’t do something because they have to visit us. Most of their teams have practice on weekdays and games on weekends. Both of the boys are jocks and DH lives vicariously through them.

When he agreed for SS7 to sign up for taekwando, he thought it was just on weekdays. But then found out that belt tests, tournaments and parties are on weekends. SS7 whines and complains that he has to miss all the special events because he has to drive up and visit his dad.