You are here

OT - For all the military wives, what did you do first?

ladynischera's picture

Hi there, my husband and I will be undergoing PCS in the next year or so and since I'm relatively new to being a Navy wife, I thought I might benefit from asking any military wives who have gone through what I am currently experiencing. I am a nurse. When it was time to pick orders - did you find it easier to Angel find a job first in the area around base or (b) find housing first. My husband doesn't want to live on base, he needs the BAH. Just thought I'd get some opinions.

Thanks.

ferretmom's picture

Housing first, then familiarizing myself with the area and getting everyone settled into the new home and schools. It is hard enough making this kind of move don't try to push yourself too hard. Since you are a nurse you shouldn't have any trouble getting a job with the base hospital. Doing that will make the next move easier because then you can contact the next base and have your job waiting on you. Good luck.

ladynischera's picture

so much. I don't have ay resources around me cuz hubby and I live so far from base.
Thanks

ferretmom's picture

Where are you PCSing to?? If you are going overseas then housing is a major priority. You can't always get on post housing there. We found that having on post housing saved us money since we weren't paying rent or utilities. I would suggest talking to your husband's superior about groups for spouses. The best way to ensure your husband's climb up the ranks is to be noticed. The powers that be look for men and women who have spouses that are involved in the community and charity works. The key word is Volunteer work. I volunteered at the base animal shelter, library (they had a wonderful adult literacy program) and company bake sales. There was a lot more but you do what you can. If there is anything else I can help you with let me know.