You are here

OT- Halloween costume ideas

Tx mommy of 3's picture

Ok, so I have 3 kiddos. The school's theme this year is Storybook characters. I would like to do some cute trio. For example, last year (before the baby was born) DD was Dorothy and DS was the scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz. So cute, let me tell ya! This year I was leaning towards Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and Wendy. My problem is finding a Wendy costume..basically a blue nightgown. I've been looking but they don't make blue for girls nightgowns. Any ideas on where to find a Wendy type costume. (I don't sew!) or any ideas on other storybook characters? (1 boy, 2 girls).

Readytoscream's picture

Buy a white nightgown and dye it blue. That's what I did when my oldest daughter went as Wendy.

Tx mommy of 3's picture

Didn't think of that! What kind of dye? Just from a craft store? Please give me info on how not to screw it up! Wink

M_Matthews's picture

I went to these places to get some Indian Costumes at this site and cowboy costumes here for my nieces and nephews last year and they seemed pretty happy about dressing up like the old western movies. No sewing required and if you're also in the southwest/desert like me, it definitely makes it a lot more fun for the kids.

Timetogiveup's picture

You don't have to sew....there is tape that you can iron one or craft glue that can be used for seams.

Timetogiveup's picture

Yeah...you can even wash the glue and the tape. I would glue the high stress seams....just make sure you get the stuff that dries clear. I find the tape a bit difficult to use, because it's kinda hard to get it on straight and it can get a bit lumpy....then there is a problem with the iron...it needs high heat to make it "stick" and if you aren't using cotton, other natural fabric or a high blend of natural fibers....the fabric maybe. But I have used the tape for hems...had the stuff dry cleaned or washed it without a problem.

starfish's picture

wish i could dress sd up as pinocchio with a 3' long nose!

but she will probably dress up as a street walker and say she's cheerleader.

Tx mommy of 3's picture

Thanks! Have you used it? I've never dyed clothes- any advice? Is it easy? I'm not a craftsy person so I just don't want to screw it up or have it look like a half white/half blue nightgown!

Readytoscream's picture

I use a 5 gal bucket to dye things in. I had several white shirts that I needed for a job I'm no longer at and didn't want to throw the shirts away. They were still good shirts even if they were white so I dyed them all. Now they're everything from dark green to pale pink. Just mix the dye as instructed on package and let the item you wish to dye soak until you get the desired hue. Once it's washed and dried the color won't ruin if you did it right.