You are here

O/T but need home remedies!

dispiritedstepmom2011's picture

for the last few years, my monthly peeriods have been unbearable. and getting worse. the pain isnt just cramps...from my waist down it is unbearable pain and discomfort. my periods are very heavy either and not alot of clotting ether...so im not sure wtf is going on but hasnt had proper insurance sinc ei was under 18.

anyways does anyone have any home remedies for helping with the pain and/or making period lighter and shorter in duration?

DeeDeeTX's picture

1. Alcohol can actually minimize uterine cramps.

2. Go to planned Parenthood and get on a birth control medicine like Depo that stops your periods. Or take regular pills, and skip the fourth week so you don't get your period.

3. Exercise a lot and lose a lot of weight. professional women's athletes often don't get periods because their body fat is too low.

Seriously though, sounds like you might have something serious....I mean you do what you gotta do but a doc probably needs to help you if your symptoms are that severe.

dispiritedstepmom2011's picture

yeah it sucks, if i was able to i would stay in bed for the week but i cant so i push thru the pain but im almost to tears....i may go to the ER and see if they can run some tests and maybe find something....i really cant afford the gyn but going to the ER will/should pay off my share of cost medicaid....i just hate sitting at the ER for hrs.

buckeye mommy's picture

Try Red Raspberry Leaf tea. It will help 'tone' your uterus and help lessen cramps. However, your symptoms sound pretty severe and I'd try finding a women's clinic that can see you for cheap or free. It sounds like you could have fibroids or endometreosis or something like that.

If you do get on birth control and skip the fourth week, only do that for three months in a row tops. Every fourth month take the placebos. If you go too long without a period, it can raise your risk for certain gynecological cancers.

Lalena75's picture

I-m so happy that you could have all sorts of other things going on like cysts, endometriosis, or worse and you should seek medical help

duct_tape's picture

Birth control pills are your quickest answer. But you should get to a clinic, even a sliding scale fee type of clinic. You could have a cyst.

forestfairy's picture

I had almost the exact same periods and I had cysts on my ovaries and tissue build up in my uterus. But polyps, fibroids, and endometriosis would cause the exact same symptoms. You really need to go in. Find a Planned Parenthood, they will see you on a sliding scale, if not for free.

thefunmommy's picture

That's a personal experience, though (not disparaging what you went through). Different BC's and the different hormone types/compositions affect people differently. I gained 10lbs on tri-sprintec, and it, for whatever reason, didn't work for me after a few years. Ended up preggo with BD. I went on Depo after BD was born and haven't had any of the problems you've described.

not2sureimsaneanymore's picture

1. DON'T DRINK COLD/ICED DRINKS BEFORE AND DURING YOUR PERIOD. Also--DON'T EAT COLD THINGS DURING YOUR PERIOD. I can't stress this one enough.

2. Shot of red wine.

3. Ginger and brown sugar tea.

4. Hot shower where you focus the heat on your stomach/back.

5. Heating pad on your thighs/abdomen/back.

6. Take ibuprofen the moment you start feeling a little bit of discomfort, not when you get full blown cramps.

7. Have your DH/SO rub your head or tummy--human touch has been shown to reduce the effects of pain.

If I think of any more, I will let you know. I second everyone else's opinion to go to a doctor. I have it once in a while and turns out it's because I occasionally develop cysts on my ovaries.

buttercookie's picture

I got depo years ago because I had heavy periods like undescribe I didnt get a period for three months then I bleed for three months and became anemic find a slidding scale clinic and see a doctor

buttercookie's picture

I got depo years ago because I had heavy periods like undescribe I didnt get a period for three months then I bleed for three months and became anemic find a slidding scale clinic and see a doctor