You are here

O/T Scared of flying & drugs

MadeMyBed's picture

Hi everyone! I have to get back on a plane soon.....one of my worst nightmares. I hate to fly! Especially takeoffs scare the living hell out of me. I have been through a "fear of flying class" and the techniques I learned there help somewhat. I also always get a perscription for Lorazapan which just doesnt seem to help relax me. Anyone go through something similar or can reccomend a good "drug" to ask my doctor for? thanks!

Snowflake's picture

Benadryl - an antihistamine that you can get over-the-counter. - It will make you sleepy.

MadeMyBed's picture

Ha! I am flying with DH but to be honest, I really dont find having another person there any more comforting. BUT....one thing my fear of flying instructor said was to NOT mask your fear with alcohol. Oh well, maybe I'll disobey this time }:) Too bad we have like 6am flights.

bruisedpeach's picture

i am really scared of flying too and living in the UK while my family lives in Canada is not a good combo.

a couple of 'zepams and 2 glasses of red wine as soon as the drinks carts roll out is the best look I have found so far. I have tried rescue remedy and all that stuff but nothing helps cept the drugs and vino.

bruisedpeach's picture

I dont find having someone there helps either. to be honest if htey are constantly 'its ok, its ok' it just winds me up even more.
drugs and booze all the way. took 7 years of 3-4 yearly transatlantics to figure it out but it works. make sure you dont react so do a test run a couple weeks before. I recommend it on a skid weekend Dirol