You are here

Question about electronics

YouGotNosed's picture

Hi ladies (& gents),

I'm a first-time poster and i'm just looking to get some feedback on how you handle teens & cell phones in your home.
The boy is 15yo and we are wondering what a reasonable time would be for us to take it from him for the night.
We still want him to be able to "socialize" & keep up with his friends however there most definitely should be a limit to this.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thx ladies!!

kathc's picture

Why do you need to take it for the night? Has he proven he won't shut it and go to bed at a reasonable hour?

intrinsicmemory's picture

Bill collectors can't call after 9 PM, so the phone can go away at 9 PM.

It is the rule we use.

SunnySkies's picture

Wow, if you tried to take SD15's phone off her she would scream and pout the place down. Seriously she is on it from the moment she wakes up until whatever at night, and SO never takes it off her. She takes it to the toilet. SO asked her to help with making some gravy the other week and she was on it while stirring the gravy. It's pathetic. How are these kids going to cope in the real world?

Rags's picture

Phone basket. All phones go in the basket (tablets and laptops too if necessary). Homework time and dinner are electronic free events and there are no phones and computers only for homework needs.

IMHO of course.

Calypso1977's picture

if it were my kid, she wouldnt even have a phone. they are totally unnecessary and cause more problems than help.

that said, if i had a child and chose to give them a phone or any other device it would not go to school with them, and it would not be given to them until homework was completed, and it would be taken from them at LEAST an hour before bedtime. Sleep experts and studies have shown that digital stimulation of any kind right before bed is not conducive to a good nights sleep. that;s why i personally do not have a TV in my bedroom. They also would not be allowed to have it at social/family gatherings because its flat out rude.

strader's picture

You need to also worry about what is going when they have these phones now. If it's a smart phone (iPhone, etc..), you better be careful of the apps.

We just took the following apps from SD12 (KiK, Snapchat, Textnow) and considering finally taking her most favorite Instagram. What these kids are doing on these apps now is unbelievable. Snapchat is worst if you ask me, Anyone can send any picture of anything and it disappears after 10 seconds with no trace. Textnow was being used chat/text people by untraceable email, some bad influence got SD12 to start chatting with this kid in another state and sure enough he got on sex topics and asking for pictures....this could have easily been a predator disguised as a kid. These kids are using no common sense and are follow the crowd with these apps. They think the higher their follow/following number is, the cooler they are, but that just mean that mean people you need to monitor what they are showing them.