You are here

Should we have another child?

ElleP23's picture

Hi all! This is my first post, but I've been appreciating this site for a few months now. My husband and I are trying to decide if we should try for another child. It would be my second and his third. We are both on the fence. We have one son, turning 3 in few days, and my stepdaughter, age 10, who we have 50% of the time. I've helped raise her since she turned 3 years old. We get along pretty well. She's a bit more challenging than the average 10 year old in some ways--ADHD and Tourette's (not the shout profanity version)--, but is also very intelligent, caring, funny, and great with my son. She recently spent a day with my 3-month-old neice, and says she would love having a baby around everyday (when she overheard that we're thinking about having another kid). Any issues I have with my SD stem more from the bad taste in my mouth after BM treated me badly in beginning (and with convincing my DH to not be a Disney Dad--he's not anymore) than with my SD herself. Biomom doesn't help my SD much with social-emotional learning or other things (so I do find myself filling in gaps quite a bit; SD counts on me for this, but it's all easier these days). That said, BM is a decent mom for sure, so we can likely count on 50/50 custody for next 8 years. 

My DS3 is a a typical toddler--smart, fun, loves his mama. I work, and I like working, but I also have a background in education and like teaching/kids so am considering being stay at home mom for a short stint or working part time, if it feels like the right thing to do at some point. My husband has a very good job and is super helpful with housework (he used to cook more than me too). He helps with the kids almost as much as I do, but I'm more deeply involved with the kid stuff than he is, esp with my son. 

My question for those who have bio and step kid(s) is: What have been your experiences going from 1.5 / 2 to 3 kids? Did you feel overwhelmed? If you're being honest, do you wish you'd stayed at 1.5 kids (even though you don't dislike your third kid and don't actually want it any other way)? Were your stepkids part of your decision; do you regret or stand by that? Any older women or men out there regret it one way or another or know of ones who do? I'm trying to imagine what I'll feel like when I'm 70+. I'm 36 and my husband is 40.

I sometimes forget to listen to my heart/gut and overrely on logic. In trying to listen to what I truly want, I hear a faint whisper of "I want to have another kid. This will make my later years (and my next 20 years) more enjoyable and fun. I'll feel more complete, and we can afford it." But then this faint whisper back: "Kids are mostly selfish even when adults; it may not pay off later or feel fun. And don't I like my sanity? I'm a bit more introverted than extroverted, and may not do well with more chaos. This is just baby-making hormones talking; ignore them."

I've been all over the internet trying to find advice that will help me decide, such as: a FB group of moms who wish they never had kids, articles helping parents decide whether to have a second kid, and the equivalent for deciding on a third kid (I don't feel like I fit into either group since one of mine is a stepkid and doesn't scratch my itch of having a second biokid, but also keeps me from feeling like I have only one child, especially time and energy-wise... in some wayts it feels like I have 1.5 kids right now.

I don't want to regret not going for another biokid, especially since if it weren't for my SD, I'd very likely have another kid, probably would already be pregnant or be holding her/him. But I also don't want to be stubborn/careless and have another kid if it's not actually best for everyone involved. What are y'alls thoughts and experiences? 

JRI's picture

I had 2 BKs, 17 months apart and later, 3 SKs.  When DH & I got together, all 5 were close in age, 6 years from the oldest to the youngest.  They were 11 down to 5. So, my situation wasn't like yours.

But if the finances and logistics are reasonable, and it sounds like they are, I'd have another soon.  I was an only child for 8 years and wished I'd had a sibling close in age, I didn't even have cousins.  I have a brother 8 years younger, my sister was 10 years younger and anothrr brother 17 years younger.  Sadly, we are not very close, same mother but its like they are from a different planet.   That age difference is a killer.  So, when I had DS, I planned to have another so he would have that sibling.  He and DD played together, i'm sure they enriched each other's childhood.

Your SD sounds like a nice girl but the age difference means she probably won't be that close to your BKs. I'm not kidding you, the early years are really taxing but I think its worth it.

For all my complaining on Steptalk about my steps, I'm glad I had them, too.  The 5 of them had many adventures, common friends, lots of memories (although it was overwhelming).  Good luck.

ElleP23's picture

Thank you for sharing your experiences. This helps a lot. I'm noticing that one of my main worries is that all the dificult parts may not even feel worth it later. But besides some outlying cases I hear about online (people with special need kids who are never independent or people who say they were abused as kids or not equipped to parent in general), I don't actually know anyone who regrets having their kids.  And your points about sibling friendship are good to think about. Right now my son is so very focused on me, but that will likely change. 

The_Upgrade's picture

I know this is out of your control but do you have a preference for gender? Not that it should matter to much in the long run but would if affect you if you had another boy? My sister wanted a girl and got a boy. Wouldn’t trade her boy for the world now but if she got pregnant again and ended up with 2 boys I think there’s a high chance she’ll spiral into a strong case of PND and gender disappointment. Hard enough to cope with in a first family situation but it’ll be more of a struggle with a step daughter involved. I admit I would’ve resented BM for having a daughter with DH if I didn’t have DD. Irrational but it is what it is. Also, has your SD ever expressed a wish for a little sister or will she be intensely jealous? Not her call at the end of the day but her reaction is something to keep in mind so your DH can nip it in the bud if needed. 

ElleP23's picture

Yes, gender does matter to me. I would prefer a girl this time around. I wanted a boy very badly before (and that's what we got) because I didn't want my stepdaughter who was very showy and attention-seeking to be comparing herself/sad and my daughter to grow up dealing with that or in her shadow. But ironically, SD was a bit sad he was a boy when we announced. She wanted a girl. Now she is 3 years older and I think she'd be okay with either. I'm pretty sure she wants a sister but doesn't want to feel jealous of her so almost prefers another boy. 
There are a few ways to try to avoid having a boy (with ovulation timing) but overall, it's a risk I'll have to take. I'm a little weary about that TBH. At least we have a lot of boy clothes ... : /

WwCorgi7's picture

I agree with everyone else saying not to put step kids into the equation. My husband and I had 4 bio kids together and not once would did I factor in SD in my decision to have more children. We had 3 boys and our last was a girl. SD was also very attention seeking and showy and at 14 she couldn't handle not being the only girl and she cut our entire family off. It has been a huge mess. We haven't seen her in several months. 

I think you should have another child if you want and not worry about SD when making that decision for yourself. 

SittingPretty's picture

I flip flopped on having another. Two things made up my mind: 

1) I knew I wouldn't regret having another child. But I might regret not having another child.

2) I always wanted to have 2 kids. I also have 2 stepkids, but they didn't lessen my desire to have another child at all. I would feel jealous every time someone I knew was pregnant. Now when someone announces a pregnancy it's more like 'wow, I sure am glad that isn't me!!!' 

The decision to have another child is tricky, especially in a blended family, as you say, you are dealing with 1.5 instead of 2 kids in reality. Do you ever feel overwhelmed now? Would your son benefit from a full time sibling do you think?

I don't regret it one bit. It was tough to juggle everything in the early days but so worth it. I love that I got the chance to see the relationship between my two (bio) kids. They squabble but are fiercely protective of each other and are often found curled up together asleep in one or another bed. They're very much a unit. My SKs are close with my bios, it's just not the same bond....I think part of it is that they have less time together. 

ElleP23's picture

This is really good food for thought! 

#1: I'm starting to feel this way too. 
#2: Yes, this is happening to me, and I don't like it. Haha. I am not typically all that jealous of a person, so maybe I should be taking it as a sign instead is feeling mopey about it. 
I am overwhelmed at times, but it also feels manageable so far. It's my dang guilt or resentment about my stepdaughter that has been the most overwhelming over the years, and I think a lot of that has been the fear of her or her mom somehow keeping me from being able to have a family or from having a healthy family. I love the image of your bio kids snuggling up together. I want my son to have that chance. Now I fear I've waited too long, and they'll be pretty far apart in age, but I was pretty close to my sister and we are almost 4 years apart. My son likes his older sister for sure, but yeah, the bond does not seem all that strong. 

shamds's picture

2 sd's (18.5 & 11.5) had cut off contact with their dad about 1-2 yrs prior as a result of pas.

i had our 1st kid about 14 months into our marriage, fell pregnant with bubs 2 when my eldest was about to turn 8 months old. I was 29 when i married hubby and am about to turn 36 in a few months time

skids are not considered in any of my plans for having kids. 2 are adults, the youngest barely has a relationship with my husband and is about to turn 15 from memory. 

my husband says only 2 people are involved in plans to having kids, the future bio mum and bio dad- no one else. I miscarried earlier this year just when outbreaks of covid just started a few weeks prior. We may have another one after covid but financially hubby can have another because he earns alot of money.

ElleP23's picture

Also, sorry to hear about your miscarriage. That + pandemic + pandemic taking forever to end sounds rough. 

shamds's picture

And its looking at least a year before we can meet one another due to the ban of travelling from both our countries. 1 yr of my prime child bearing years. By the time hubby retires early i will have just turned 37.

thats already less chance of getting pregnant because fertility goes down rapidly.. i have no choice or say in it and thats whats really upset me...

ElleP23's picture

That sucks. I could tell you that you shouldn't worry because 37 is still a great age. I know of many women, older than that, who birthed healthy kids. But I also know it sucks to rearrange your life and feel like you have little control over something so important like having another kid. Stepparents are often all too familiar with that awful burn. 

shamds's picture

Down immediately but having to potentially re-plan our future just makes it more difficult on having another because once my studies have finished and i'd be back working in my graduate job, i'm looking at possibly having another baby

ElleP23's picture

I like this. It's making me realize I may be worrying too much about what others want/say, including two childless (by choice) couple friends that I have... they each separately told me not to have another because their friends with two kids seem unhappy.

Question (for anyone): what does PAS mean (such as Shamds used above)? In the past I've tried to google it to no avail. 

The_Upgrade's picture

It's basically when one parent brainwashes the child into thinking the other parent is  out to get them. But while they want nothing to do with that parent they're still more than happy to stick their hand out for money. In fact, in their minds it's all the other parent is good for and if they don't pay it means they don't love their child.

ElleP23's picture

Ahhh, okay. That is horrible. People are POS. (Now I can stop confusing POS and PAS, but I'm glad? to see they are fairly related). 

tog redux's picture

OP,  you are way overthinking this. You've tied yourself in knots.

You want another child and have the financial means to do it  - have one.

SeeYouNever's picture

I always wanted to have two children and this was part of my plan before I even met my husband. My SD did not factor into my decision very much at all. However we don't have 50/50 custody and I'm sure that would change things.

one of the biggest motivators for me wanting to have two children was the fact that I didn't want my daughter to be an only child. I know that technically she has a sister in SD but I know that due to the age gap, custody schedule and her general personality, I knew that they would never be close. All I could think about was holidays in the future wear SD goes to a big family event with everybody on bm's side of the family and her other half sister by BM, and my daughter never being invited. if something were to happen to me and my husband she would be all alone in the world. I wanted to have a second child for my daughter more than for myself.

Stepmama2321's picture

When considering to have your own children, don't include the steps in the equation. You may have the perfect relationship with DH right now, but picture you two split, do you really want only 1 bio child? And do you want that child to only have 1 half sibling or more half siblings from either of you two? I think him having a full sibling is important. If you got pregnant right now, your son would be 3-4 yo, which is perfect timing to have a baby. He'll maybe in preK a couple days of the week and be able to "help" (put the pacifier in their mouth type thing).

ElleP23's picture

I never thought about that scenario, but it is very wise and helpful. My gut says Yes, I want him to have a full sibling. I have a sister (a few hours away) and the family get togethers we have are really fulfilling for me. My main push for considering another kid was my imagining holidays with just us and our son. But now I'm imagining them with my husband gone, and it's nothing like my/that vision. Thank you! 

Stepmama2321's picture

Sorry not trying to make you imagine holidays with your husband gone! But just saying, it's a possibility for anyone. I have a SD who will soon have 4 half siblings!! 2 from her mom (all different dads) and 2 from her dad and I. I'm pregnant with my 2nd and happy my daughter will have a "true" sister. I am super close to my sisters so I feel sibling bond is very very important!

SittingPretty's picture

I'm closer to my (half) sister than to my 'true' brothers. I think the strength of the relationship is more to do with how your personalities mesh than how many biological parents you share. 

Stepmama2321's picture

That is very true! But when parents get elderly or pass, you'll need to rely on your full siblings to make plans that are best for everyone. Also, they just understand your upbringing better. Perhaps your situation is different, I'm assuming your half sister is from your mom so you grew up closely with her. Half siblings that mainly live with the other parent, probably don't have much in common as far as upbringing.

ElleP23's picture

It's okay, I'm not superstitious (ha), and I think it's important to think about those perspectives and contingencies. 

Pregnantwithquestions's picture

I made a thread similar to this recently and got some good advice. My situation is slightly different since we'd be going from 3 to 4 kids (3 bios, 1 SK). IF our situation were different, I'd have another. To answer your Q about going from 1.5 to 2+, my bios are 16m apart and while it can be crazy at times, I really enjoy it. Of course are a little different when my SK is here, because like most stepfamilies, there's some adjusting the first day or so and there is an age gap, so interests aren't aligned. But my youngest is just now starting to try to crawl and interact more with my oldest bio, and so they are almost able to play together.

The logistics of 2-3 isn't really that much different, either. Especially close in age like mine-- I mean yes doubling up on carseats and all that, but we already had all of the baby stuff at the ready, and the house was still child proofed, and you're already accustomed to the sleep schedule of a young child, and your purse is always snack ready and all that---so going from SK to my first bio was WAY harder than bio1 to bio2.

No one can tell you whats best for your familiy situation except for you, but I know for me personally, stopping at 1 bio wouldn't have been what I wanted. 

Stepmama2321's picture

You give me hope! I am having my 2nd and they will be 14 mo apart. I also felt that being a first time mom was soo hard but am so nervous about having a 2nd so close. Glad to hear it might be an easier transition.

ElleP23's picture

You give me hope also! Thank you. Yes, we have so much baby/toddler things and mentality already over here in this house. 

Picardy III's picture

What are your husband's reasons for or against? You say he's on the fence as well. Can you have a deep conversation about his desires or fears about another baby?

I can't get entirely on board with the advice not to consider SKs when deciding on adding another baby. SKs are a part of your husband's family, at least, and the decision to have more children is as much his as yours. (Using the generic "you" here, not singling out you OP.)

DH shouldn't argue that *SM* already has [SK + BK number of] kids, and bait-and-switch reneged promises to have more kids is a divorceable offense IMO. But... resources are finite, and family size requires compromise, especially in blended life.

ElleP23's picture

Good point. I agree--most people people benefit if their partner is fully on board, esp with such a huge life decision. Not to mention the ethics of it. My husband is on the fence because he's worried he won't have the energy/sanity for a third. Also, he hasn't said this, but I think, for him, he feels satisfied with what he has now (2 bio kids, one of each gender). He also didn't travel and live it up like I did in my 20s so he is looking forward to traveling and doing whatever he wants when kids are out of house (and so am I), and another kid would delay that by about 4 years (putting him at 60 years old).
That said, he gets enjoyment from kids and family life. And realizes we can travel and do things independent with kids (just a bit harder, esp if we add one more). Nevertheless, his/our reasons for not going for another are pretty persuasive also. 

shellpell's picture

SS wasn't part of the equation or decison-making when we decided to have two. If you want another, have another. It's important for a child to have a full sibling with whom they grow up and share a house 100% of the time.

lieutenant_dad's picture

I understand why some people say don't include the SKs in the equation, but you should include your steplife in the equation.

From the sounds of your steplife, things seem pretty solid. However, Disney parenting, alimony/CS for another decade, SKs who are mean/violent, an ex who causes ACTUAL trouble - all those things impact your marriage. Those things need to be considered when thinking about expanding your family. The last thing anyone should want to do is bring another being into a volatile situation that that being can't escape from. It's one thing to have kids when you're happily married and then your relationship deteriorates. It's a whole other bag of crap to purposefully bring another child into a bad relationship/marriage/situation just to fulfill selfish wants to procreate because the adult can leave while the kid deals with the fallout.

Again, it doesn't sound like this is your situation, so you can make decisions more from the heart than the brain. DH and I are actively trying for our first, and we had to delay due to financial issues. We're now playing the waiting game, but we've had conversations about how many kids we'll have. The reality is that I'll be lucky to have one, but if we get lucky enough to try for two, it'll be rapid-fire babies. Good news is that we're 4 years out from YSS graduating and BM being cut-off, so rapid-fire babies won't be so bad. A few years ago, though? Rapid-fire babies would have likely ended my marriage. We needed time, and I'm very glad we took it.

ElleP23's picture

I know what you mean. While I felt ready to have kids when I was about 30, I am glad I had my son when things were more settled with biomom and my relationship with my husband (3 years later). 

Rags's picture

I applaud your use of logic.  Emotion is not an effective decision making tool.

Far too often the feels are primary decisioning tools in the blended family world while logic and intellect are a rarity.