You are here

Step-Girlfriend and gaining trust

rissa44's picture

I am a step-girlfriend to a handsome boy of 2 years old. I love him and he is so much fun but I am having an issue while babysitting and dad is working... he will not tell me when he has to go to the potty. We have had 3 accidents now. Washing sheets, couch covers, clothes, and floor. I ask every 30 min to make sure and he simply says no and when he does have an accident I reassure he can tell me and it is ok and I also ask why he did not tell me. He will only tell dad. I am looking for suggestions on how to gain trust and comfort between us. He is comfortable with me giving him baths but not potty. How do I establish this type of trust between us?

-Carissa

pollart88's picture

sunshinex's picture

Most 2 year olds have a lot of accidents, lol.

You just have to spend more time together. How long have you been in his life? How are you approaching potty training? There's not enough details here.

LAMomma's picture

When potty training it's good to ask but I also MAKE them go. I ask and if they say no, I usually let it go. I'll ask again in a little while and if I feel or know they'd likely need to go but tell me no. I'll make a statement such as "Are you sure? How about we go try anyway.." and make them go sit on the toilet.

Just went through this with my stepdaughter who is 3. She sometimes tells you and sometimes doesn't, she's young and gets distracted by playing as all kids do.

moeilijk's picture

Yeah. Just take him. My own daughter is on-and-off the toilet-training bandwagon. I just say, "Let's see if you have any pees or poos for the potty!" She says, "Noooo, no potty!" I say, "Yep, let's go check!" and make it sound like so much fun. And then she sits on the potty and stares at her hoo-hah to see if anything comes out. Also she gets to tear up one piece of toilet paper while she's sitting there, so that's a selling point.

sunshinex's picture

Yep this exactly!!

Just bring him to the potty... Some days, he'll comply and go with you, others, he'll throw a fit. When it's a fit-throwing day (lol), just grab his hand and say "LETS GO UPSTAIRS!!!" (or wherever your bathroom is) and walk him there without telling him where you're going Blum 3 Then sit him down and hope he goes

LAMomma's picture

Yup, I used peeing outside as a reward for my son. lol He thought it was awesome. He would "try" even though he didn't have to or couldn't potty at the time.