You are here

Stepdaughter or not?

young_stepmomma25's picture

Ok so my fiance has a "stepdaughter" from a previous relationship and I'm wondering is she still his stepdaughter even if they're still not together.
She's 24 years old and she comes around a lot for him to babysit her kids.
Their relationship is kinda weird to me..

StickAFork's picture

I continue to have a close relationship with my "former" SD, who is now 22.

I think she's *still* my SD, but I often refer to her as my DD as well.

No weirdness for me. Smile

I think that our family is comprised of who we WANT in our family, and NOT just defined by blood or marriage.

I have a woman I consider my "sister" who is of no relation to me as well.

icehockey101's picture

DH has an ex-SM (so he is an ex-SS). He talks to her when he needs advice and still considers her to be part of his family. She was a major influence in his life for quite awhile when he was growing up.

Maroma1984's picture

I think it depends on the relationship. With the men being the Stepfather , they probably spent more time with the child than their real father.

I have a girl I work with that was married to someone for almost 20 years that wasn't the father to her son , but he raised the boy that's who he considers dad. I think it's sweet that you are with someone that was able to open his heart to someone that wasn't his wife or his blood.

Orange County Ca's picture

Not technically a Step but I wouldn't be jealous as he obviously continues to think of her as a daughter of sorts. She's a friend of your family and causing no problems so why mix it up? You would be the only loser if you did.

oldone's picture

I agree that "family" is who you choose it to be - DNA not required.

But on the other hand if he is disrespecting you to put her on a pedestal then it doesn't matter whether she is "family" or not. It's a problem if she is ranked higher than you.