You are here

TAXES

roxxilu's picture

I was wondering if anyone has ever filed an injured spouse form. Half of our tax return goes to BM, I'm guessing because of arrears from before I was ever in the picture. This form can supposedly get me back some of my money. Anyone know anything at all about this and how it works? ??

Orange County Ca's picture

Best to get the form first. It might be easier than it sounds and undoubtedly its available at the IRS web site. Just look for a 'Forms' link and go from there.

Silent River's picture

This happened to me but it was only $180 so I got mad, then let it go. If more, I would have googled that and done follow up so, feeling your pain.

My solution to make sure that never happens again...I changed the amount I claim on my paycheck so I get more on my weekly pay and we always owe a little at the end of the year. With no refund they can't garnish and my take home pay went up! Win for me! Smile

christinen's picture

Yes, I have. It's very easy. The money DH owed was taken out of his portion of our refund, and my portion of the refund wasn't touched. If you use turbo tax, it's under "forms" and it's very simple. You can also get it on the IRS website if you do taxes by hand. It did take much longer than normal to get my refund, but well worth it to prevent my income from going to pay for DH's past.