You are here

17y/o son does not want to live with his mother

Alwayssomething's picture
Forums: 

Good morning all,

I hope this post reaches someone that has expereinced this. My 17 year old son does not want to live with his mother anymore. The environment is toxic and detrimental for him gorwing as a person. Abridged back story- BM, stepfather and 2 kids (one being 8 the other being my 17y/o bio son) got evicted from their apartment. All of them went to stay 40 miles away from thier old apartment. This has totally turned my sons life upside down. Took him away from his friends, social life and school. They got evicted just after the school year and my son is going into his senior year. I am terrified of him not being able to attend his senior year. I am unable to uproot everything in my life to move within driving distance from his school. However, he has a friend that will (supposedly) let him stay the school year with them. I am awaiting a call back from the friends father to see if this is feasable for them.

All this to say, he is staying with my wife and I  right now and we are taking steps to get him school clothes, switch his phone over and facitlitate a move out of his mother temporary situation and into his friends parents house.

I know this was long winded, so i appreciate anyone that read it through. Hopefully I didnt miss anything and the situation is clear enough.

Thoughts anyone?

Rags's picture

Your 17yo is fortunate to have you and your wife in his life.

Since DS-17 is now with you have you filed to end CS payments to the BM?

Alwayssomething's picture

I know he is. We are going to do the best we can for him, but it's going to be hard. We haven't informed BM that we are tring to get bio son into his friends house. I am trying to find the best angle to let bio mom know this without her getting combative and becoming dificult to work with. This is my sons future here, so I am walking on eggs shells. I just know when my son calls her to inform her of his intentions, shes going to break down and try to make him feel terrible leaving her. I informed my son not to feel bad, that this is his future we are talking about. he knows living with her is holding him back.

We haven't called child support yet because we want the steps in place and be sure this is all going to happen.

Thank you for your reply!!!

SteppedOut's picture

Be prepared... she's not going to qant to givee up the CS! And it will probably make her reconsider custody change!

Rags's picture

DUPE