You are here

Gift budget for adult SD's (and Step Gkids)

20YearsAsAStep-Mom's picture

So DH and I were discussing our xmas budget recently and DH wanted to buy SSIL (step son-in-law) this item that was over $100.00 - this would be just one of his gifts by the way.

I said that is way too much and we typically always discuss our xmas budget together and have ALWAYS purchased the gifts jointly.

DH really wanted to buy this item for SSIL and actually went ahead and bought it yesterday. I was not too pleased but realized he can do whatever he wants but I had to remind him that I am not contributing to any lavish spending on people who hate me and treat me bad.

I brought it up yesterday and told him what my budget was for xmas for the 2nd and last time. For the past couple of years xmas and Bday's have been a time for passive aggressive crap by SD. I told DH that my budget for her and her DH (SSIL) is exactly the same as SD/sgkids spend on me!

SD's xmas budget has been $10.00 for a pair of cheap PJ's that are usually the wrong size! This from her family of 5. Although the gift was labeled to 20 years From Sgkids only. I think 2 years ago I received a $5.00 crappy bracelet from the local grocery store.

This after we spend close to $1000 on her family and YSD combined most every year.

DH wants to be generous because HIS PARENTS were always generous with their adult children. I told him well WE ARE NOT YOUR parents and I am not spending that kind of money again on the steps.

Of course he made the comment - is this the budget for our BS too? I just cannot believe he put them on the same level for xmas - SD is now 38 years old with 3 kids, YSD is 31 - our BS is under 16 living at home with us.

He is a bit sulky but not too bad, although with his track record I am sure his pouting will come full force soon enough.

I told him he is welcome to shop and spend what ever he wants but count me out. (We still keep our finances fairly separate except for household bills).

DH is trying to guilt me into spending more of my $$$ on the steps but I will save my money and time this year.

Does anyone else go through this ? Adult steps v younger bios? Is your budget the same?

20YearsAsAStep-Mom's picture

Wow SA. Cheques for grown ass nephews! I cant believe he still does that. Do they get him anything.

hereiam's picture

We are giving only to children. Actual children, not adults who act like or think they are children. The money we would spend on the adults is going to charity.

CarpeOmnia's picture

I am giving this year to whom ever I feel moved to give to. Children or adults. Children includes my 2 nieces and nephew that did such a fabulous job in our wedding party this past September. Son is bringing new girl-friend to the family Christmas. She has 2 young sons. I am making sure there is something under the tree for them to open too.
I enjoy gifting those that have been good to me.
As for my adult SDs that are so disrespectful to Husband and I...I'll leave that up to him to deal with.

toywas's picture

I have a budget for my 3 adult kids; however 2 of them are in the military so I can only get them gift cards (which of course they use). I have my first grandson so I'm using my "right" to spoil. I don't partake in shopping with DH for his 6 adult kids and his 7 grandkids. We went shopping after church this morning and I was surprised he didn't buy anything, nor did I ask about his shopping.

I don't know if anyone else has gone through this but the SK hate the gift you give them and immediately ask for the gift receipt to return it. That happens every year and it's so damn rude on their part. That's why DH gives money; less hassle. Apparently, it's not that exciting to just open up an envelope!

sandye21's picture

When we exchanged gifts with SD, and it was taken out of our joint account I usually received nothing. Rare occasions, a cheap pice of crap. I finally convinced DH to pay for his family and I would pay for mine. It solved a whole lot of problems.

omgsaveme's picture

Oh my DH always believes we should give dipshit 200 dollars for xmas and bday every year and don't spend nearly as much on dipshits child. This year for xmas will be the same Im sure, cause he's just started opening his eyes to how she is BUTTTT the holidays are different. I think it should be opposite SGK should get the bulk of presents and dips hit should get a nice gift but not 200 bucks.