You are here

How do I draw the line without being cruel.

qtpie568's picture

My mom passed away when I was thirteen. I'm eighteen now. My mom was an incredible person and mother. I've never met anyone who was willing to give more than her. I love her to this day, and I miss and think about her often.
That said. My dad started dating again a while ago. He has had a few girlfriends. One of them got serious. She even moved in. She almost tore my family apart. She would lie to my dad and tell him that my sister and I were doing things that we weren't. She had a key made so that she could get into my room and would go through my things and show stuff to my dad, and she would blame things that her kids would do on my sister and I. She took down the pictures of my mother that were hanging in the house, even the ones in my sister and I's bedrooms. My parents even had an old fashion picture taken soon after I was born. It was my dad's favorite because my mom looked simply beautiful. She had my dad take a picture with her and then put hers up and took theirs down. She would get angry if my sister and I talked about my mom, and once even left the dinner table after I mentioned how much I missed my mom's cooking. She would get angry if my father went to the cemetery. I was thankful when my father finally asked her to leave our home.
My father dated a few girls after that, and none of them clicked with him. Then, he met the woman he is with now. She has moved in with us, and seems unbelievably nice. I can easily see how my father fell in love with her, because in a lot of ways she has a similar personality to my mother. Her and I get along well, and I believe that I can trust her. However, she is ready for a different type of relationship than I am willing to have. She tells my younger sister and I that she loves us. And I get that she cares about us, and I hope that one day her and I will be able to have an extremely close relationship, and I wish the same for her and my sister, but I'm just not ready.
Also, without my mom being around anymore, I know that it will be easier for her to fall into the "motherhood role." Especially since she has no daughters of her own. How do I draw that line when the time comes? I don't want to hurt her feelings.