You are here

Inviting stepkids to wedding....

novemberm's picture

My fiance and I are planning our wedding, which will be very simple and very small. While his kids are horrible, and I want nothing to do with them, I left it up to him to decide if we invite them.
He does NOT want to. Their aunt emailed him and said not to invite them, which tells me they either said something or she is worried-this woman is the only rational one in BM's family. These adult brats are incredibly nasty people. They have virtually no contact with my fiance, unless they want money. He stopped being their wallet awhile ago, so we never hear from them His one son texts once in a while, but just stupid stuff. He was acting sort of nice (for him) a couple of months ago, but when my fiance did not hand over money, he stopped calling.

So...do I suggest my fiance re-think this, or do I leave it like this, and they just do not attend. My family thinks my fiance will feel guilty if they don't come, but I don't know. They are really not in his life.

Also, if they are invited, BM will know the details, and she is nuts (what else is new).

Thanks for any advice!

Anywho78's picture

I would personally leave it. Your FDH has made his decision & knows you will support him either way. Sounds like your wedding will be blissfully drama free.

Congrats!

dragonfly5's picture

Agreed. My SO and I have been talking about the same thing. We want a small ceremony as well.

He came up with the idea to go on a 14 day Baltic cruise and get married there. No kids. Mine or his. My daughter is 30 so I wanted to see how she would feel about it, she said she just wanted me to be happy and she loves my SO and for us to go. Either way she will be happy for me.

My SO's kids are 11 and 14. They are great, but he thinks the ceremony and marriage is about us, our commitment and love. We are making promises to each other. I agree with him.

I am not ready for marriage, but I know what ever we decide, it will be about us.

Be happy go forward don't over analyze!

twopines's picture

If you left it up to him to decide, and he doesn't want to invite them, then that's that.

foreveretc's picture

you have to make the right decision for you and your FDH Smile my step kids werent at our wedding, and even though it wasnt completely by our choice, neither of us really missed them

emotionaly beat up's picture

His kids, his decision and if he regrets it later he cannot blame you, you gave him the choice and he has decided, let it go at that. Trust me inviting to the wedding will not make them your bff, and you may just be inviting trouble so I think you did the right thing in leaving it up to him and that should be that. Congratulaltions hope the day goes well and you have a long and happy marriage.b