You are here

Movie - Gloria Bell

Catmom024's picture

This movie really did an excellent job portraying a guilty divorced Daddy.  Gloria is a super nice divorced lady who meets a man with an ex wife and 2 adult daughters (ages 27 and 31) who are still completely dependent on him - they dont have jobs and can't take care of themselves.  The daughters call him constantly with trivial things that are emergencies every time their father is with Gloria.  It's very accurate.   In one scene he leaves her at a party and blames her (scapegoating) for the reason he had to leave...but then adds "oh and my daughters called".

NoWireCoatHangarsEVER's picture

There were a lot of triggering things and interesting things.

1) When he says his daughters don't care about him at all and they only see him as a means to their ends and can't see him with a life of his own.

2) At the family brithday dinner when her adult children make mention that they are the same age and inquire about their careers and families and homes and he embarassingly has to say they have none of those things and still live with his dependamotus ex wife.  

3) He had to have weight loss surgery probably because he spent decades eating his emotions and pain from his wife and daughters. 

4) I don't think she and her ex and kids should have been looking at old wedding photos in front of the new partners but yes he did scapegoat, absolutely!

5) I like how she had her own life and career and friends.  

6) It definitely demonstrates a healthy parent child relationship and the toxic dependent one and the consquences of letting that dysfunction ruin your new relationships.   It may hurt to realize your kids are growing up and might leaving you crying and berefit on the floor, but you gotta let them go and live their own adult lives.  Don't cripple them

Catmom024's picture

Yup.  I agree 100% with all of your points.  I even thought exactly the same thing about Arnold's weight issue.   

The wedding photos...at least she was laughing at them and making fun of the huge cake...not crying over what was or what could have been...his exwife (well not really much of an ex) would have been crying over them.  

Rumplestiltskin's picture

I still need to watch Gloria Bell. I think i mentioned this in a previous thread, but the movie Cyrus is similar, except it's a mom and enmeshed son. It should be classified under the horror genre.