You are here

Over reaction by me or will it get worse over time?

Unsureofthis's picture

Hi, I would love some advice from you as I am starting to think that my issue is all in my head. I am engaged to be married to my SO (together 3 years) and we live together in my house, he has three children who live with their mum, one of whom is SD20. I have two teen DDs who live with us. All kids get along and I also get along well with his children, they are lovely and smart, no complaints there.

The problem is the SO/SD20 interaction. SD20 is the apple of his eye. He has always favoured her over the others, though he denies it. When we dated he would always express sadness when she wouldn't want to see him even when he had the younger two living with him and eagerly wanting his attention. I always thought that was odd, it was an early red flag I guess. SD20 goes to university close to where we live and when SO moved in with me I was onboard with her staying with us a few nights per week so she wouldn't have to drive the 30 minutes back home plus I thought it would be nice for SO to spend time with her. She quickly, and maybe unintentionally, become very demanding and entitled and I started to pick up on her manipulative tendencies when she needed something from her dad. She would request certain types of dinners, wanting certain snacks in the house, taking my left overs that I was going to have for lunch, causing disruption to the peace in the house by slamming doors and being generally loud with my DDs were trying to sleep, coming home late etc. She was up front about the fact that she was staying with us to save money in petrol and food and to be closer to university. I started to feel used and resentful early on; it is my house and I feel I should have a say in how it is run and I am entitled to a peaceful home. She is also unreliable and cancels on us regularly, which is sometimes good but can be annoying when I never know if she is coming or not. When I complain about this behaviour SO throws his hands up like a victim and says "I have no control over her, I just want to keep everyone happy".

Also, SO's behaviour changes when SD20 is around; his body language, demeanor and voice change, he becames more loud and bouyant, shows off and boasts about any achievements and directs all conversations at her. She looks at him adoringly and says things like "wow that is amazing dad, tell me more". She gives him head rubs and asks him for shoulder massages, wanting to always sit next to him at dinner. I thought it was a bit strange at first, but it wasn't until I started reading posts here that I felt justified in being uncomfortable about that. My DDs are not like that with their dad and YSD in not like that with SO.

I have really rejoiced in the COVID-19 isolation restrictions and not having to deal with the two of them being annoying together under my roof during that time. That has now come to an end as restrictions have lifted and the dreaded "SD20 is coming this week" announcements have started up again. I have had come chats to him already and he has improved, but this week I had some bad family health news and I said to him that I am really stressed etc, and he still allowed SD20 to come stay because "she needs a break and a bit of a change of scene". I felt that he put her needs before mine as I have told him I don't feel comfortable in my own home and I get stressed when she's around. He reluctantly sent her home after 4 nights but only because I had a go at him and he made up some excuse to her for why she couldn't stay longer. He is so scared of saying 'no' to her or upsetting her in any way. He tells me she has anxiety and he needs to thread lightly with her because she is very sensitive.

So, to my question; my fear is that this is just the start and the entitlement and manipulation, and SO's need for SD20's approval, will get worse after we marry.... I have seen a few posts here about this being the case. Any advice would be appreciated, how do I put my foot down without harming my relationship? Alos, feel free to tell me if I am out of line and I'm making an issue out of nothing. Thanks!

JRI's picture

I have this situation, too, but the SD is 58, not 20.  I could go on endlessly but if you have read on here about mini-wives, you know the story.  I wish I could tell you how to stop it, if you find out, please post.  It really gets me with that "sensitive" bit. If I say something resembling reality to her, he gets worried because she is so terribly sensitive and anxious.  So everything is supposed to be sunshine and rainbows because of her "sensitivity".  Barf.

One thing I've figured out: they both get something out of it.  She gets attention, money, closeness.  He gets the feeling of being a good dad, appreciation, being needed.

I have to say that when SD married each time and was busy with her kids, there was less of this behavior.  So, your best hope is for your SD to work, marry, have kids, anything to have a full life and get out of your hair.  Sorry to be a Debbie Downer but I know you come here for the truth. Best wishes.

Unsureofthis's picture

This is all so true and yes, I want the ugly truth, so thank you. Best to be prepared for what's to come....I cannot continue like this for decades, that's one thing I know for sure, it will drive me insane. There is something false about this girl that I can't put my finger on and he is lapping up all that fake adoration which makes me, quite frankly, lose respect for him. She is an ADULT, why is he pandering to her unless he gets a kick out of being adored by her, no matter how insincere that adoration is. I have read up on mini-wife and electra syndrome and that is how I found this forum.

So true what you say about keeping her busy with her own life; when I first met SO OSD wasn't around much because she had a boyfriend and YSD and SS plus my DDs would hang out and get along great. OSD's relationship broke down around the time SO moved in with me and her entitled behaviour started. She would complain that SO only wanted to spend time with me and she felt left out....hmm.....

JRI's picture

I sense you are asking yourself whether or not to stay in the relationship.  I chose to stay, i was young, financially unstable with 2 BKs to whom DH was a good stepdad.  I didn't understand about the mini-wife dynamic, didn't even have the word for it til ST.  This pattern was present before I came along, i was merely an irritant to it.  Like you, while my SD is pleasant to my face, i know how she really feels and received proof when she lived with us for 10 months and stole my valuables.  I've also overheard her backstabbing me to DH.  At my age, 75. I'm here for the duration altho I have contingency plans in case DH passes.  So i'm not saying stay or go, many complexities factor in.  But just know, it won't change altho it might abate when she gets a life but you'll still be wary and watching your back even when you are old.

MissTexas's picture

He gets to be "father of the year" and she gets to be his "lifetime princess." All at the expense OF YOUR RELATIONSHIP. They know exactly what they're doing, but please remember, this sick, dysfunctional dynamic was in place YEARS before you entered the scene, and though they may both try gaslighting you into believing YOU ARE THE PROBLEM, YOU'RE NOT. IT'S THEM, 100%.

As for her "growing up" and getting busy with her own life, not always so. They will meddle and inject themselves into your marriage anytime they feel the need, and daaaaadddyyyy will always take her advice over yours. You'll never be smart enough, warm enough, kind enough, becuase daddy has worn his rose colored love goggles for so long their bond runs very deep. It's cyclical really. Because he feels guilty, she keeps "being there" for him, and because she's his shoulder to cry on or vent to, he becomes dependent upon her. This is a co-dependent daddy/daughter wife relationship. There is very little room in it for you. 

I wish I had better advice or news, however I have LIVED IT and I KNOW FIRST HAND they will always be tied together by their dysfunction. Sometimes I feel it's like people who don't come out of the closet so to speak and they keep living the lie to society, trying to appear "normal" by societal standards. Many of these "men" are like this; they get remarried to prove they can and they're not damaged goods, but it doesn't take long for the glitter of the new and happy relationship to take a downward, unrelenting spiral toward reality. If I had a crystal ball and could see exactly how he would conspire w SD and how I would be last in my own marriage, I would've run like my ass was on fire.

NotCinderellasmom's picture

My husband and I will start a conversation and then when Sd comes in he will start the same conversation over like we are not 10 minutes deep in that conversation. Sometimes he will tell a story that I was in for her benefit but like he is talking to me.I don't know why they do that or if they even realize they are doing it.

tog redux's picture

Why is a 20-year-old who lives with her mother still spending multiple nights in her father’s home? Time for visitation to end. Also, your first paragraph says everything is fantastic with his kids, then you go on to list serious concerns. I’m not sure you are taking an honest look at the issues here. Don’t marry until you do.

ETA: re-read and see why she's staying at your house - but no, if she wants to be closer to campus she can get an apartment.

Unsureofthis's picture

Fair point tog. SD hasn't done anything to me that I could possibly use against her. She is well behaved, picks up after herself, is not rude to me at all, smiles and greets me sweetly. But I can tell it's fake. I can't put my finger on what it is, which makes it difficult to then tell SO what it is that I don't like so he can fix it, other than how he behaves around her and how entitled and manipulative she is. It's an uncomfortable feeling with a whole heap of data points suggesting things *could* get a lot worse over time. I doubt myself a lot too and worrying that I am overthinking it. It is reassuring to hear you say that it is not necessarily normal for a 20 year old to be staying over at dad's regularly when she lives with her mum normally, this is something I have been increasingly asking SO but I am met with anger and a complete lack of understanding.

MissTexas's picture

because it's trying to serve as a warning sign, *DANGER* do not proceed with this plan.

I had the EXACT feelings SD was a fake and a phoney. I remember being onto her and calling her out on a specific incident, and my DH told me, "You  made SD cry!" I said, "Well, she's caused me to cry on many occasions, but nobody cares ABOUT MY TEARS." If your soon to be DH's DD is anything like mine, all of this "fakeness" or "act" is to stay in daaaaadddyyy's good graces, and to show daddy she can "play nice" so she can keep reaping the rewards he affords her to have, such as long "visits" etc. 

He gets angry and refuses to undersand your perspective because if he acknowledges YOU ARE RIGHT, then that will mean he will have to look himself in the mirror and realize he is a failed parent, and falls into the category of "buddy parent." With the realization of this it will mean that change must take place,and as long as he's only concerned about HIS comfort level and not disrupting DD's little perfect world, this terrible behavior will persist and always remember, he is showing you NOW who is FIRST IN HIS LIFE, and SADLY IT IS NOT YOU. Believe people when THEY show YOU who THEY are!

jam's picture

Do not marry this man. If you do you will regret it. SD will be his real partner and you will just be his concubine. Everytime you bring up an issue, he will throw up his hands (playing the victim in the middle) or he will tell you that you are jealous (accusations), or he will tell you that you are TOO sensitive (gaslighting) out of one side of his mouth while encouraging you to be more understanding of SD because she is sensitive and fragile (excuses) . He will defend her, make excuses for her, or simply throw you under the bus.

Please put your foot down now & if he does not like it then he needs to leave.

Sorry, but that is my honest opinion.

Killingmeslowly's picture

I have experienced every single one of these examples throughout my 13 years of marriage, and then some.  DH has also asked me if I thought maybe I was schizophrenic because I was getting frustrated about the BS that goes on with SD20.  I was also told that I am being immature when I go silent in an attempt to disengage from all of it.  He told me I needed to resolve my 'issues with SD20' in order for our marriage to improve.  Talk about feeling like the third wheel.

"He will defend her, make excuses for her, or simply throw you under the bus."  All day long, every day.

Please, please, take the advice you get here.  My 2 cents - get out now, it will only get worse. 

You'll save yourself alot of stress and heartache.

Unsureofthis's picture

This has already started happening so thank you for confirming. I have been told very subtely that perhaps it is in my head and she is totally innocent in this. "She would be horrified and vomiting with anxiety if she knew how you feel" has been said to me a number of times already. This of course puts doubt in my mind, which is probably the intent. She is the sweet innocent child, and I am the wicked SM. I just feel like I need more "proof" before I push it further - I would hate to throw out the baby with the bath water if she miraulously one day decides to grow up and be independent. I guess that is how everyone feels and why we get to be married to these guys for decades, still holding on to the hope that things will get better!

Miss T's picture

And if your gut isn't making enough noise, listen to the warnings everyone's shouting here. This is not going to get better; it's going to get worse, and your nerves will fray more every day. I have one step child, a male, a reasonbly sane DH, a good income, my own property, and more raw chutzpah than most people can shake a stick at. And the situation still almost drove me around the bend. Even now that SS is launched and I rarely see or hear about him, it doesn't take much to send me back into a spiral that I'm pretty sure is the tail end of PTSD.

Sadly, there is no baby here. Just a tub full of stinking, filthy bath water. Pitch it. GET OUT NOW.

Olivia2020's picture

Two months ago I left a marriage of only 45 days after living with DH and 24 year old SD (his DaughterWife)...after 5 years of knowing him, my gut would tell me that they were 'too close' so I thought it was what is termed 'emotional incest' which fit the bill given the circumstances. I had no idea, until I moved into the house we bought out of town, that both of them were so enmeshed and witnessed their PHYSICAL closeness. They only had a USE for me...what I could do FOR them without one ounce of concern for me and my welfare. They are takers...

Every single thing jam wrote above...is 100% true. I lived it until a couple months ago when I got the hell out of that house. 

Do not marry this guy. Save yourself the thousands of dollars you'll need for a lawyer to get a divorce...my name is on the deed of the house so that is why I couldn't just get an annulment from this narcissist. And DH and DaughterWife  mad at me for what? I told him I gave him and his DaughterWife exactly what they wanted...me gone. 

Please listen to your gut feeling, womens intuition and advice from us here to make your decision. There might be more layers to the dysfunction with your SO and his daugther that you can't see right now. Get out of that unhealthy relationship now, on your own terms.

If it looks like a rat and smells like a rat...it is probably a rat!

DoberGirl's picture

Your situation sounds similar to mine. I don't think the situation will get better or worse. The question that only you can answer is if you can live with it. Your SO and SD have been cooking that communication style for 20 years and they aren't going to change for you. It's a painful, painful thing to realize. 

shamds's picture

And her dad needs to tread lightly... well the real world is ‘t gonna be as understanding to her and will tell her to suck it up.

he lives in your home and doesn’t give you the respect of sitting at the head of the table with him even after you have cooked dinner??

no wonder you feel unappreciated and resentful of him. He claims he wants to keep everyone happy but really thats a smokescreen to keep precious happy

Unsureofthis's picture

The only one he's keeping happy is her, I have said that but he can't see it.

SacrificialLamb's picture

It gets worse after you marry, so you better have this nailed down. My SD's are in their 40's and still acting like daddy owes them something. Things are fine now, but it was a long road to get here.  I have no relationship with either.

Basically, your SO is more afraid of losing OSD than he is of losing you.  She is boosting up his ego, she knows it, and he loves it.  Perhaps he is taking you for granted that you won't leave.

I would expect that my SO would want to see his children, and you should too. I would not expect him to favor one over the other two to the extent that they feel excluded.  That's a lack of character I wouldn't accept. The oldest knows how to butter him up, and that he allows shows he is a weak man.

You need to resolve this way before a wedding or you are going to have a miserable marriage. OSD will still be his #1 priority, and you and the other skids will be fighting for crumbs.

DoberGirl's picture

After SO and I got engaged, SD22 changed. She got a lot more loud and obnoxious. The logical human in me understands that she felt threatened by the engagement and didn't have enough emotional maturity to use her words to say, "Hey, I don't understand what the marriage means to me and my place in my daddy's heart . I'm scared and jealous." Instead she became passive-aggressive and disrespectful to me, which I have zero tolerance for. SO defended her. We ultimately broke up and are now keeping it casual without any expectation or commitment for now. I believe it's a primal reaction of a parent to defend a child when someone is criticizing them no matter how old the child is or how wrong they may be. My strategy now is to say nothing but positive things about his kids, spend as little time around them as I can, and never live with SO because the door will always be open for them to live with him. This way I get the best parts of him without having to deal with the worst parts. Its a modern arrangement. For now. :-) 

Merry's picture

My SD is 40 and in many ways is independent and successful. Yet she feels entitled to control her father--not every day and not about everything. And DH hangs on every word she says. SD said to try this recipe. SD said to use xyz to get out a carpet stain. SD said to la di da di da. She has advice for all of us, all the time, and expects to be involved in decisions that are none of her business.

Mini wife with adult spousal status. DH is afraid his kids will just one day stop loving him. He knows it's ridiculous, but there you have it. I can't stand him running after her like a love sick puppy. She and I actually do fine together, when he's not around.

DH has been open to discussion and has somewhat modified his behavior when I've asked for specific things. And sometimes SD will punish him for not obeying her command. But unless something actually affects me, I don't say anything. It's taken a lot of years to get to this point, and sometimes I still can't keep my mouth shut or my eyes from rolling around in my head.

Figure out what you need. If you need him to make changes, ask for them. But do it before you marry him. If all you get are excuses and if he's not willing to meet your needs and make changes, then you know where you stand--and I'd not be willing to accept part-time wife status.

Unsureofthis's picture

I can totally relate to what you descibe with DH hanging on your SD's every word. In my case it is more how sweet and caring SD is, she simply can do no wrong, and if she does it's because she has some issues that she has no control over. SO is definitely worried that SD will turn her back on him and it is of course a parent's instinct to defend and look after their offspring.

Great advice, thank you. It would be a big win if the behaviour is modified after asking for specific action, and that is really all I want. I know exactly what I need and that is for SD to not stay the night regularly anymore. Stay for dinner by all means, but then go home. It should not be an unacceptable request. What I'm unsure of is how much of her behaviour is encouraged by him and what information is he actually giving her - he has been caught stretching the truth in the past in order to "please everyone", and saying things like "we ALL miss you, when will we see you" thereby giving her the impression that I too am super keen for her to come and stay. It's so hard to know what goes on behind my back. But, keep it simple and be clear with my expectations will be my new mantra, and if he doesn't like it, then he can move out with her - which I have actually suggested in a moment of desperation - I would not be opposed to that at all! It could be the solution here.

strugglingSM's picture

Maybe it's time for the 20 year old adult to find her own place. Allowing her to continue to come as a "houseguest" when she is an adult. Thirty minutes is not a long drive. If she's crashing at your house out of convenience, perhaps there need to be some ground rules that she doesn't come in and disrupt everything in your home. 

Also, I hate the "I'm just trying to keep everyone happy" line. I think it's such a cop out. I told DH that his job is not to keep his children happy, it's to parent them and parenting means helping them learn how to be likeable people, not demanding, entitled, ungrateful jerks. 

Movingonisbest's picture

From what I have experienced and read on this board mini-wife dynamic and guilty father syndrome are horrific. I was involved with a guy for two years or so and his adult kids were horrific. His daughter is like 25 years old, has supposedly been in college for 5 or 6 years yet is still a freshman, possibly a sophomore. She doesn't provide him a transcript because according to her it would be invading her privacy. She verbally abuses him and treats him l Iike crap yet he still pours what money he has into her saying "I have to believe in her." He knows she has forged transcripts to get scholarships from an organization through his job, yet he just turns the other cheek. She disrespected him and our relationship and to calm her he offered to take her on vacation. I did break up with him and had cut him off for months. When I finally did hear him out he actually offered to purchase a new house for us and do other things for me financially if we could just be together and accept her no matter what. Smh. I recently found out his other kids are just as lazy and pathetic as she is. Their hands are always held out looking for handouts. I finally came right out and asked him what the problem is with his adult kids that none of them work enough to take care of themselves. He never really gave me an answer but eventually made up an excuse saying people from the area of the country he is from are uneducated and live in poverty. So basically no accountability on their part at all. He even went on to say people who work and take care of themselves are just "lucky." Basically saying his adult kids are unlucky. Again no responsibility or accuntability on his adult kids part. Victim mentality at its finest. I would NEVER be with him again under such circumstances and had I known the truth about him and his lazy adult kids, I would have NEVER given him the time of day

Unsureofthis's picture

I can't stand that victim mentality. A lot of people have it tough and they still manage to take responsibility for their lives and grow up. Tough love is the way to go. You can't give up on your children if they need assistance of course, but justifying their behaviour will just make it worse and won't help them in the long run. In my case my SO feels bad about the divorce, it's as if they are the only children in the world with divorced parents and the guilt is killing him. I'm glad you saw the light and go out.

1StepForward2's picture

It is your house and you have every right to make house rules. I would start by making a curfew so she doesnt disrupt anyones sleep - non-negotiable. You have your own kids to consider. Start disengaging. If she requests certain dinners or snacks tell her to ask her father or tell her you already planned dinner. Tell her to stop slamming doors.  I wouldn't discuss this with SO just do it. Its your house. If she doesn't like it she can stay at her mothers. Its only 30 minutes drive to school not 2 hours.

MissTexas's picture

WILL harm your relationship when you force the issue.

Daddy feels guilty and "...wants everyone to be happy." That's his first mistake. IT's not possible. As a couple the GOAL OF EACH MEMBER in that relationship is to keep each other HAPPY. If he treads lightly with her, and doesn't want to hurt her feelings etc. he will STAY THAT WAY. SHE WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST. IT WILL GET WORSE WITH MARRIAGE AS TIME GOES BY.

FYI-when he asked her to leave after 4 days, I will bet my bottom dollar that he MADE YOU THE ISSUE or REASON why SHE HAD TO LEAVE, because he "...wants everyone to be happy." 

My DH did this for a long time, and it was just a matter of time until it all exploded in his face. Adult SKs saw it and him for what he was, and I did too. He tried the, "I'm stuck in the middle." Yes, he is the "monkey in the middle" and he placed HIMSELF SQUARELY IN THAT POSITION!

DeenieV's picture

I'm in a similar situation. I had never heard the term mini wife before, but it explains everything! My DH is truly a wonderful man, but so emotionally needy. I, on the other hand, am very "not in my space" type of person. From the very start of our relationship, (been together 15/married 13) I noticed how "close" he and both his daughters were. It made me cringe-the hugging, and sitting close on the couch with their heads on his shoulder, the baby talk and texts, etc. But I always felt it was my fault for feeling "jealous" and it was his way of being a father. Who am I to judge? . Anyway, SD #1 is now married and had a child so she is normal. SD #2 is the problem. I've written before what my issues were, so I don't want to go into everything again. For those of you who are dealing with the mini wife syndrome, my advice is to think twice before marrying. I wish I would have. This has been a thorn in my side the entire time I've been with him. I try to ignore things, but it's always there. I am going to a counselor tomorrow and will report back what she tells me so it may help some of you. I was just glad to see there is really an issue and not just in my head. I've never felt #1 in my DH's life. Also, I was/am not financially able to live on my own-another regret of not getting an education so I could be independent. I married at 18, (ex was 25, so do the numbers-he was 23 and dating me at 16-wth was wrong with me?) had my three children, divorced after 22 years and finally had the guts to walk away. Needless to say, I was free from a domineering, mentally abusive situation, but didnt have the financial support I needed to survive. Met my DH and thought I was in love -(I was in love with the lifestyle he provided) We get along just fine, but more like a brother and sister. I can live with him, but the whole mini wife thing is really horrible to deal with. Run before it's too late for you! Who knows what I will do after my counseling. 

Unsureofthis's picture

I can relate and I completely understand your situation, especially going from an abusive marriage into one that is nurturing and caring makes you accept and overlook what seem to be "minor issues" inititally, but become big issues with time. You won't want to make a mountain out of a mole hill unnecessarily. Your DH seems to be cut from the same mould as my SO - weak and unwilling to address the issue out of fear of rocking the boat. Plus despite it making you feel uncomfortable a small voice in your head still says "it's his way of remaining relevant in their lives, don't interfere". Please let us know how your counselling session goes.

Rags's picture

The residents in the home take precedence over related visitors.  Your DH is a ball-ess wonder if ever there was one.

Time to set the very clear standards that will govern SD-20's visits including prior request and approval from you for each and every visit.  DH's behaviors must not change to isolate anyone in the home over the visiting adult SD, PERIOD!  SD will not be catered to. She will be treated as any other member of the home with the same responsibilities as anyone else while she is present. She does chores, picks up after herself, cooks, cleans up after dinner, etc, etc, etc.....

This is not her flop house and refuge from real life.  Family members have responsibilities to everyone else in the family..... 

I would not tolerate DH turning into a juvenile "look at meeeeeee" PITA when SD is present, or at any other time for that matter.

Good luck dealing with your severely lacking in maturity DH and his invasive prior relationship failed genetic experiment.

Unsureofthis's picture

Great advice, thank you. We are currently negotiating terms going forward....the hardest part is what to do about SO's behaviour as he stubbornly maintains that he does not treat her any differently to any of the other skids and he does not think he acts differently himself. It annoys him when my DDs also tell him he's different around SD.

marblefawn's picture

I say it doesn't matter if it gets worse -- it might, but it won't ever get better than it is now. Here's why I say that:

Right now, you're about as in love as you ever will be. You accept things now that will drive you mad after you're married or going on Year Ten. And when Year Ten rolls around, you won't look so hot, he won't look so hot, the newness will be worn off, etc. So what I'm suggesting is that right now this doesn't seem that bad because you have all the new-relationship stuff going for you. When that's gone, all that's left is him and his daughters snuggling on your couch while you wash the dinner dishes.

Think about it. By marrying someone with kids, no matter what you complain about, there will always be a helpful friend reminding you, "You knew what you were getting into," and "But they are his daughters!" or my favorite, "You have to be the adult in the relationship with his kids!"

I'd take a pass on this guy if I were you.

Unsureofthis's picture

I have had these same thoughts, thinking to myself that we should be madly in love right now planning our wedding and instead this is the one thing we constantly fight about. The gloss has already started to come off!

Dovina's picture

have been said!

OP this is great insight and advice!!

captjacksprrw's picture

.... You, the marriage or both.  In my case, I got so frustrated seeing the two young men treat their mom like crap and treat their disengaged dad like gold.  However, if I tried to speak up some or interject, it caused worsening issues with my wife.  We barely have survived this and are trying to come back from relationship life support.  We both failed to settle on real grodundwork and this is the result.  That and many other behaviors/issues have brought me to my knees and though I love her with all my heart, if the adult "kids" continue I am about to the point of kissing her, divorcing and moving to a new city swearing off for good ANY woman with kids.

Doodlemadmummy's picture

Believe me, it gets worse.  I have been with my SO twenty years now, the problem with his tippy toes princess has never gone away.  It has been a cancer that has killed our relationship, it is dead in the water.  I feel I'm only in it so she doesn't get her way - to split me and her Dad up.  Thirteen years into our relationship he took out a loan for her behind my back as she had got into trouble with her mortgage.  She has always been a very "wanty" girl and had overspent.  The trouble was, he took money out of our joint savings without my knowledge and rode in on his white charger to save her.  I found out three years later as I questioned him as to where our money had gone.  Even now he says she repaid the loan but there is no evidence to suggest it went back into our account.  He also felt guilty for giving tippy toe princess money so also took our joint money to give to his other daughter behind my back.  As you have already been told it is a symbiotic relationship they enjoy.  A very sickly, sugary pretence that oozes saccharine sincerity.  And I can guarantee you, beyond 100% that things will never change.  You can try to talk sense, explain how you feel, ask for consideration, respect etc etc. but he gets far more adoration from his daughter and that is his life blood.  Save yourself for someone who genuinely wants to treat you fairly.

Unsureofthis's picture

Thanks for these valuable insights. He has really pulled his head in lately after our explosive talk and has gone to see the other two children one on one, but I can tell he is just biding his time and he seems troubled, almost like a cheating spouse who is hiding messages and interactions with their mistress from the wife. Something is brewing and I hate feeling so paranoid, even though on the face of it I have temporarily got my way.

Thinking of this situation as a cancer that is slowly killing the relationship is a powerful analogy, and so so sad.

Miss T's picture

" ... the problem with his tippy toes princess has never gone away.  It has been a cancer that has killed our relationship, it is dead in the water ... "

So sorry to hear this. I'm in a similar boat. My past battles with DH over his spawn have definitely taken a toll. I've gotten older, too, shockingly, and some combination of step-battle scars and--age? wisdom? exhaustion?--has resulted in the departure of the last whiff of romantic vapor from my blood. My DH is not a bad guy, but his loyalty to SS has resulted in his repeatedly failing me in the past. I still care for him, and hope I am successful in my efforts to treat him well. This careful regard is mutual, I think. And our relationship is still very much a marriage. But I do not trust him. I am ever aware that he can turn on me with a snap of SS fingers. This has made maintaining our marriage quite an effort. I manage, but it is work and I have to constantly remind myself that doing this work is a lot better than the likely alternative. And I am luckier than some, who really ought to get out.

My 20-year-old self would have been shocked and disbelieving at my present jaded cynicism, but there it is.

CLove's picture

Ewe.

He gaslights you about it? Double Ewe.

I hardly ever say this. Typically I would suggest counseling and communication. But in this instance, its not too late as you are not yet married. I am married and DH and SD14 have MOSTLY healthy boundaries/respect for boundaries. She is very clingy and yet she has her friends and a social life that doesnt always have to include dadeee.

I sometimes think she acts helpless and askes ridiculous questions for attention, but she does the same with me, too.

Your SD is definitely faking it and if you get married it will get worse and her fangs will come out into the open, because you will then be stuck.

I think, from what you posted, that you are way way way beyond having her stay someplace else. Your issue is bigger. Your SO...he doesnt want a wife, he has OSD.