You are here

Stepson paroled to our home

Weege1967's picture

My husband and I married 2 years ago. We have been together for 7 years total. In January, my stepson was released from prison. He served 3 years of a 5 years sentence for domestic assault. He found a job and is working to catch up on child support. My issue is that he is 27 years old and cannot get himself up for his job. He works a couple of different shifts. He either has to get up at midnight or 1:30A.M. My husband has been getting him up, I tried once, I couldn't wake him. I am at a loss. We need our sleep, even if my husband is the one getting him up, it disturbs me when my husband's alarm goes off to go wake my stepson. I have never seen someone this hard to wake. Any ideas?

fairyo's picture

This is an interesting situation-on one hand I see he is newly released from prison and unused to normal routines if he has been inside for 3 years and working shifts might take some getting used to.
On the other hand he is an adult with a job and it sounds like children to support- so why did he come to your home? What kind of support is he getting after his release? What steps is he taking himself to get adequate sleep so he can then get up for work?
I think you should speak to DH and give this man a leaving date- he has no right disturbing your home or your sleep.

sammigirl's picture

My YSS54 was released from prison and his parole stated he had to have a residence to go to and live there for a certain amount of time and report his address to his parole officer. He moved in with BM and is still there due to parole rules.

I love KARMA in my situation...

}:)

fairyo's picture

I realised afterwards that it does say something about parole in the title! I'm not sure we have parole in Fairyland- but I suspect the parents have a role in keeping their miscreant off spring (however old) on the straight and narrow. It would be too hard to take in an adult child (even a bio one!) for me, though- I think I would just let them stew behind bars lol!

ESMOD's picture

I guess all you can do is continue to have your DH be the bad guy and wake him.

Unfortunately with all those odd shifts, it's probably no wonder he has a hard time getting up. Probably being incarcerated has made him able to ignore a lot of noises too.

My EXH had a brother who spent years in prison and when he got out once my EX decided he needed to live with us, much to the chagrin of our suburban upwardly mobile neighbors. It didn't last long because the guy was just ruined from spending all his time behind bars. I think he eventually went back to jail.. but not sure where he is now since I split with my EX almost 20 years ago.

I was NOT excited having a felon in my home for sure.

still learning's picture

The guys a grown man who needs to regulate his sleeping patterns and learn to get his @ss out of bed himself. He's gone back into child mode living with daddy and having daddy wake him up. DH needs to tell him that you two need your sleep and he is responsible for getting himself up and out the door. If he needs two alarm clocks and his cell phone set at full blast, 10 minutes from each other then that's what he does.

If he misses work then he'll have to face the natural consequences of that. I hope for your sake that this is a temporary situation with a time limit.

simifan's picture

My mom was always difficult to wake. She had sleep apnea it turned out. Anyways, we bought her an alarm clock that shook the bed rather then make noise. Worked like a charm.

Acratopotes's picture

He's been out of his normal routine now for 2 months? It's going to take a while for him to adjust,

but how to get him to wake up in time for his shift.... try some of the suggestions in the link

http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20506099,00.html#sonic-boom-with...

i have this old fashioned alarm clock I use for my son, there's no snooze button and the alarm clock is not on his bed side table.... it's at the other side of his room, at the door, lol, thus for him to shut it down he has to lift his ass out of bed, it's a very very annoying sound like an old telephone lol.... by the time his alarm clock goes off I'm already awake and busy thus does not bother me at all, With this he has his phone alarm clock on with Rummstein screaming him awake in the mornings, but that he snooze and then my old clock goes off...

With your SS who lived in jail for a while, he learned how to sleep through noises, cracking of beds, what ever, thus it could help if you have a different tune daily, he will not get use to it, but I still say go for the 2 or 3 different alarm clocks, in different spots in his room..

Rags's picture

If you don't want him in your home call his parole officer and inform them that he will no longer be resident there. This is not a young kid. He is an adult convicted felon.

I can understand why you are not comfortable with him in your home.

marblefawn's picture

You've done a selfless thing for this guy, presumably to help him get his act together. I'd guess most people wouldn't take this on.

For 3-5 years, he was told when to sleep, when to eat, when to get up. He was not responsible for making these decisions. On top of that, midnight or 1:30 a.m. is not an easy sleep/wake schedule for anyone. You've already done so much for him. Don't give up now. Him getting on with his life is a good thing for all of you, so try to help him along.

SS might still be adjusting to this major life change, plus a change in schedule. He might have depression or anxiety that is making his schedule harder to manage. Could your husband talk to him about why he can't wake himself? Maybe SS could talk to his probation officer about how to get back into the swing of things. Maybe you could wake SS before you go to bed so he is up for a while and starts developing a routine that doesn't begin when the alarm goes off. I also worked a weird schedule for decades. It's hard being the only one up at 3 a.m.

Of course, if you didn't want him there in the first place, that's another thing and I wouldn't blame you at all. I don't mean to minimize your situation - frankly, I wouldn't have been willing to house him at all. But if you were OK with that, give this some time to work out. Please be careful in dealing with him. His violent past would be a bigger concern to me than him not waking himself.

Weege1967's picture

I don't feel selfless. I feel bad for wishing he wasn't there. I have a BS and BD. BS works on the road and BD is in college so SS influence is at a minimum.
Monday, after a "sleepover" with a lady friend, he failed to get up for work. Work has given him another chance thankfully. DH had a doctor's appointment, so I was elected to have a talk with SS. Talk went well. He set 4 alarms on his phone...didn't work.(sigh) Evidently, SS has always been this difficult to wake. I asked how they woke him up in prison, he replied " the loudest horn you've ever heard."

another thorn is that 2 years ago, DH said SS had burned his bridges and wouldn't be living with us.

still learning's picture

He doesn't expect the lady friend to wake him up but daddy has to?! Hopefully daddy's making it crystal clear that ss needs to stay employed. I'm guessing if he lived on his own he'd find a way to wake up.

Thumper's picture

Sorry to read that your husband agree to support adult kid during his parole.

NO one twisted your dh's arm. Soooo that tells me a few things about 'that' parent/kid relationship dynamic. None of which are good.

STOP waking him up. Dh is a huge part of problem BY waking him up.. This is the 2n effects of what your dh did when HE (dh) took him in your home.

Things will get worse IF dh doesn't get him out..now.

You agreed to this too....why?

Trust me, ss would have found someone else he would have suckered into being released to. My bios know to not pull this shit and come asking for help. Not going happen.

shes driving me crazy in my retirement's picture

OP, the point that caught my attention was that he was in jail for domestic assault!  To end up in jail for some years means he did some pretty bad things.  This concerns me.  I think you should let your husband wake him up especially, as you say, he is difficult to get up.

If he shows no inclination to trying to get on a schedule so he can get up for work on his own, then let the chips fall where they will.  You and your husband need your sleep in order to go to work etc.

Just read your remarks about how difficult he was to get up after a sleep over with a ladyfriend.  Whoa Nellie.  Let this guy get his act together, get his schedule to go to work and take responsibility.  Hate to say, if he fails, well then being out of jail didn't mean that much to him IMHO.  In actuality, it is between him and his parole officer for him to get his butt to work.